OT: “Born in the USA” turns 40 today

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
My Hometown is good too
Was just reading the Born In The USA wiki & had forgotten My Hometown is the last song on the album. Whew, if that song was a prediction, it really came true in these last 40 years.

If I were going to introduce someone to Bruce & The E Street Band to someone who had never heard them, those last 3 tracks would be a great place to start: Glory Days>Dancing In the Dark>My Hometown

Reactions: Mr. Cook

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Released on June 4, 1984, Bruce Springsteen released this iconic album which would have seven top 10 singles on the US charts.

Far from being his best work, it was his highest commercial success.
His best work is the 3 disc Live 75-85 album. 40 songs, all recorded live at various locations and times during that decade. Its 17ing incredible I will meet anyone at the South Farm who dares say otherwise.

All seriousness, I would have loved to see him and E Street live back then- the energy on state had to have been wild.
Live goodness

Thunder Road Acoustic
Adam Raised a Cain
Spirit in the Night
4th of July
Growin Up(with commentary)
Rosalita
You Can Look
Badlands
Darkness on the Edge of Town
This Land is Your Land
Nebraska
Johnny 99
Born in the USA
The River
War
Darlington County
Working on the Highway
The Promised Land
Cover Me
Im on Fire
My Hometown
Born to Run
No Surrender
Tenth Ave Freezeout
Jersey Girl

Last edited:

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
His best work is the 3 disc Live 75-85 album. 40 songs, all recorded live at various locations and times during that decade. Its 17ing incredible I will meet anyone at the South Farm who dares say otherwise.
I bet those rollerblades hurt like helll when you go to crackin' skulls in 'em.****

Reactions: mstateglfr

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022

All seriousness, I would have loved to see him and E Street live back then- the energy on state had to have been wild.
Live goodness

Thunder Road Acoustic
Adam Raised a Cain
Spirit in the Night
4th of July
Growin Up(with commentary)
Rosalita
You Can Look
Badlands
Darkness on the Edge of Town
This Land is Your Land
Nebraska
Johnny 99
Born in the USA
The River
War
Darlington County
Working on the Highway
The Promised Land
Cover Me
Im on Fire
My Hometown
Born to Run
No Surrender
Tenth Ave Freezeout
Jersey Girl
This is in no way meant to insult you, The Boss, or to turn this thread political, but it's just interesting to me how people in general skew toward thinking more highly of a musical artist if he or she agrees with them politically. I've heard a few Springsteen songs (the ones on the radio mostly) and they're fine. Nothing I would ever seek out, and I've never heard of about 2/3 of your list. I'm just saying it seems like you give his stuff more weight because you love his messages. Me, not so much.

You probably don't sit around and listen to Toby Keith (RIP) a lot either, and I can't say I would blame you. Honestly his voice ain't that great, and I think a lot of people only like his stuff because they agree with what he's trying to say.

Reactions: eckie1

Abby1005!

Nov 22, 2023
I saw him at the Hump in 81 and at the Mid South Coliseum in 84-both are in my top 5 live shows. I was a big fan in the 70s and 80s, but like a lot of others he lost me when he decided that his politics were of importance to his listeners.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I just kinda roll my eyes at the “poltical” thing with music artists or even TV or movie stars

I can guarantee you that the music artists that every single one of us on this board listen to don’t 100 percent agree with their politics and honestly that shouldn’t matter one bit. If you like the music, you like the music…who the hell cares about their politics. I enjoy listening to Pearl Jam and I can pretty much say I don’t agree with any of their politics.

And people on the left and right are just as equally guilty with politically shaming artists and stars. WHO THE 17 CARES

DawgsOnTheWing

Sep 26, 2012
BITUSA is ok, but Born To Run is quintessential Bruce. Big Clarence on the sax solo on Jungle Land is top shelf.

Saw Springsteen when I was at MSU in 1981. Think he was sick and still put on a great 2 hour+ show.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I just kinda roll my eyes at the “poltical” thing with music artists or even TV or movie stars

I can guarantee you that the music artists that every single one of us on this board listen to don’t 100 percent agree with their politics and honestly that shouldn’t matter one bit. If you like the music, you like the music…who the hell cares about their politics. I enjoy listening to Pearl Jam and I can pretty much say I don’t agree with any of their politics.

And people on the left and right are just as equally guilty with politically shaming artists and stars. WHO THE 17 CARES
This, and also some folks only seem happy when they can yuck someone else's yum.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

patdog

May 28, 2007

As long as they don't get overbearing about it, I don't care what their political opinions are. But I'm not paying good money to go get preached to about things I don't support.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
This is in no way meant to insult you, The Boss, or to turn this thread political, but it's just interesting to me how people in general skew toward thinking more highly of a musical artist if he or she agrees with them politically. I've heard a few Springsteen songs (the ones on the radio mostly) and they're fine. Nothing I would ever seek out, and I've never heard of about 2/3 of your list. I'm just saying it seems like you give his stuff more weight because you love his messages. Me, not so much.

You probably don't sit around and listen to Toby Keith (RIP) a lot either, and I can't say I would blame you. Honestly his voice ain't that great, and I think a lot of people only like his stuff because they agree with what he's trying to say.
I like Springsteen because I grew up listening to him at home and in the car. 90s grunge, 90s alt rock, 90s hip hop, and singer/songwriter rock, thanks to my parents.

As for his politics?...I am really not sure what his specific views on issues are, but yes there is a general idea that they lean left/progressive.

For decades now, his songs have pretty timeless themes- young love, poverty cycle, hope, reminiscing with age, American Dream, working class struggle, etc.
^ Are these liberal/progressive themes?

Funny you mention Toby Keith. That pop-country song of his from when I was in college, How Do You Like Me Know, was an easy listen and catchy.
But to add to your post's point about singers and politics, its interesting to see how Keith and Springsteen addressed an historic attack on America- 9/11.
- Toby Keith went full jigoistic in a song titled 'The Angry American', aka 'Courtesy of the Red White and Blue' where he sings about how we will put a boot up the *** of those against us because its the American Way.
- Bruce Springsteen and E Street released a song titled 'The Rising', a Grammy winning song that is about NYFD going up Tower stairs on 9/11 when everyone is going down. It was part of an album with the same title, that addressed the many emotions people felt after the attack and had an over-arching theme of unity and healing.

To be clear, both songs are catchy.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
As for his politics?...I am really not sure what his specific views on issues are, but yes there is a general idea that they lean left/progressive.

For decades now, his songs have pretty timeless themes- young love, poverty cycle, hope, reminiscing with age, American Dream, working class struggle, etc.
^ Are these liberal/progressive themes?
What Springsteen attempted to embody was the "blue-collar" and "working class" heroes that have deep roots in the Democratic Party.

I would argue that, just like political parties, each have evolved further away from center. For many "progressives" on the far left, Springsteen might appear to be too "right-wing" today

I could care less about the politics. For me, I was more of a "Born To Run" kinda guy

ETA: Hate to say this to my own thread but "in before the lock. The posting was never intended to be political. I was more surprised at "Holy $4!+, this album is FORTY years old" (Read: Yeah, I'm old, too)

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
As long as they don't get overbearing about it, I don't care what their political opinions are. But I'm not paying good money to go get preached to about things I don't support.
Good point and probably the issue I have. Been a Santana fan since 1970 and went to a concert must have been during Bush 2 because he got off on some rant about W. All I could think is save it for your next Rolling Stone interview. Went to a Travis Tritt show in 2021 and got it from "the other side" and thought the same. Just play guys and gals.

That said, also agree with DCD's point and have often thought, thank goodness the world isn't just made up of people like me or I'd have never had the music, movies and other "artsy" things I've absolutely loved over the years. I know that shlt isn't coming out of my brain.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
What Springsteen attempted to embody was the "blue-collar" and "working class" heroes that have deep roots in the Democratic Party.

I would argue that, just like political parties, each have evolved further away from center. For many "progressives" on the far left, Springsteen might appear to be too "right-wing" today

I could care less about the politics. For me, I was more of a "Born To Run" kinda guy

ETA: Hate to say this to my own thread but "in before the lock. The posting was never intended to be political. I was more surprised at "Holy $4!+, this album is FORTY years old" (Read: Yeah, I'm old, too)
I sure hope this sort of thing wouldnt be locked. Its a great thread with many viewpoints and has stayed very polite/cordial.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I went to see REM (who was absolutely my favorite band in college and for a while afterwards) a few years back. Great show musically, but Stipe just would NOT shut up about politics after what felt like every song. I would have loved to ignore whatever he was saying, but he just wouldn't let me... or the 10,000 other people there. Everyone eventually started grumbling and even booing and yelling "shut the 17 up and sing" after about the 5th time. I laughed, but was actually disappointed because it distracted us all from all those incredible songs from my youth that should have been the focal point and my lasting memory of the show.

So I agree with you glfr, and as an avowed Libertapublican, I obviously wasn't trying to get the thread locked - just noting that a lot of people who really really love Bruce (or Toby, or Dylan, the Dead, Aldean, Green Day, Tom MacDonald** or whoever) may lean into it more than the average listener because of their politics.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
yuck someone else's yum.

That's one helluva turn of phrase. It sounds like something from a late 80's / early 90's Hip Hop Group called Triple Down.

"It's that time of day, ya know, where you gotta get some
Step on over here girl, lemme yuck yo yum."

Also, I'm absolutely trying this line on the missus. I'll keep y'all posted on the results.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
I know of a band that don’t preach no bull$hite to ya at their concerts (or ever, really). As a matter of fact, they’re currently on tour.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I went to see REM (who was absolutely my favorite band in college and for a while afterwards) a few years back. Great show musically, but Stipe just would NOT shut up about politics after what felt like every song. I would have loved to ignore whatever he was saying, but he just wouldn't let me... or the 10,000 other people there. Everyone eventually started grumbling and even booing and yelling "shut the 17 up and sing" after about the 5th time. I laughed, but was actually disappointed because it distracted us all from all those incredible songs from my youth that should have been the focal point and my lasting memory of the show.

So I agree with you glfr, and as an avowed Libertapublican, I obviously wasn't trying to get the thread locked - just noting that a lot of people who really really love Bruce (or Toby, or Dylan, the Dead, Aldean, Green Day, Tom MacDonald** or whoever) may lean into it more than the average listener because of their politics.

He did the same 17'n thing many moons ago when I saw REM on a college campus in the late 80's. Went on a massive rant about the TVA and 100 other things.

I didn't have any politics to speak of at the time (or now much), but it was ridiculous. The crowd wasn't having it. A lot of folks just walked out.

Soured me on REM for a long time. I didn't care what he was saying, but it sure as 17 wasn't what we were paying for.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I went to two Bruce concerts last year, and I don't believe he mentioned anything overtly political at either. He was very vocally political at the end of the W era, and very much supportive of Obama. This has largely though not completely subsided in more recent years.

So if that's your hangup, go and enjoy.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login