OT: “Born in the USA” turns 40 today

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I went to two Bruce concerts last year, and I don't believe he mentioned anything overtly political at either. He was very vocally political at the end of the W era, and very much supportive of Obama. This has largely though not completely subsided in more recent years.

So if that's your hangup, go and enjoy.
I don't know if anyone else has said they wouldn't go to a concert just because of politics, but as for me, I just don't like much of his music. Him being 'somewhat' political in the past only means I don't care enough to try very hard. I'm sure he doesn't miss me not being there.

I go to a good many concerts though, politics or not. I was at a Dead show a couple weeks ago and I would bet Bob and I would disagree on some stuff.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I don't know if anyone else has said they wouldn't go to a concert just because of politics, but as for me, I just don't like much of his music. Him being 'somewhat' political in the past only means I don't care enough to try very hard. I'm sure he doesn't miss me not being there.

I go to a good many concerts though, politics or not. I was at a Dead show a couple weeks ago and I would bet Bob and I would disagree on some stuff.
Fair enough. I go to very few concerts myself but make as many Bruce shows as I can.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
I went to see REM (who was absolutely my favorite band in college and for a while afterwards) a few years back. Great show musically, but Stipe just would NOT shut up about politics after what felt like every song. I would have loved to ignore whatever he was saying, but he just wouldn't let me... or the 10,000 other people there. Everyone eventually started grumbling and even booing and yelling "shut the 17 up and sing" after about the 5th time. I laughed, but was actually disappointed because it distracted us all from all those incredible songs from my youth that should have been the focal point and my lasting memory of the show.

So I agree with you glfr, and as an avowed Libertapublican, I obviously wasn't trying to get the thread locked - just noting that a lot of people who really really love Bruce (or Toby, or Dylan, the Dead, Aldean, Green Day, Tom MacDonald** or whoever) may lean into it more than the average listener because of their politics.
i saw last month where John Cougar walked off stage after 7 or 8 songs because during a lengthy monologue a fan yelled "play some music". after this he told his security guy to "find this guy and let me see him after the show". whatever man.... btw , he wasn't even on a political rant, he was just telling a long winded story...

• Haha
Reactions: Darryl Steight

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
What Springsteen attempted to embody was the "blue-collar" and "working class" heroes that have deep roots in the Democratic Party.

I would argue that, just like political parties, each have evolved further away from center. For many "progressives" on the far left, Springsteen might appear to be too "right-wing" today

I could care less about the politics. For me, I was more of a "Born To Run" kinda guy

ETA: Hate to say this to my own thread but "in before the lock. The posting was never intended to be political. I was more surprised at "Holy $4!+, this album is FORTY years old" (Read: Yeah, I'm old, too)
i could not stand this back in the day and it had nothing to do with politics or music quality, didn't like it cause every time a Springsteen video came on that was one less space for "Hot for Teacher" video to play

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Reading this thread reminded me of a joke about U2:

During a U2 concert, Bono approaches the microphone earnestly, asking for
complete silence. He proceeds to clap several times, slowly and steadily and pronounces in a calm voice: ‘I want you all to think about something: every time I clap my hands, a poor child dies in Africa. ’Upon which, someone in the crowd screams, ‘Well, stop bloody clapping then.

U2 is one that is probably more human rights type of rants than political speech but if you go to a concert you kind of expect to hear it. I've seen them three times over the years and there's always been that angle to their concerts.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Reading this thread reminded me of a joke about U2:

During a U2 concert, Bono approaches the microphone earnestly, asking for
complete silence. He proceeds to clap several times, slowly and steadily and pronounces in a calm voice: ‘I want you all to think about something: every time I clap my hands, a poor child dies in Africa. ’Upon which, someone in the crowd screams, ‘Well, stop bloody clapping then.

U2 is one that is probably more human rights type of rants than political speech but if you go to a concert you kind of expect to hear it. I've seen them three times over the years and there's always been that angle to their concerts.

I think you do kinda sign up for it with them. They don't have many playful songs. They're mostly about something they see as important.

Still the best concert I've been to. Joshua Tree tour.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yep. U2’s songs and shows have long leaned into Christian themes.

I roll my eyes when I hear or see people who like U2 and criticize them because of their schtick and I’m thinking You know what they’re like… or Freaking whiner.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

I roll my eyes when I hear or see people who like U2 and criticize them because of their schtick and I’m thinking You know what they’re like… or Freaking whiner.

But I thought REM held that title.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I don't give a sh t about his politics: This is one Righteous MFer who's always written meaningful songs for the honest and the real working class in this country and performed them from the depths of his soul.

If you don't like the Boss, you're part of the problem in this country.

Reactions: Maroon13

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017

The WAR album will always be there best in my view.

And then of course there's this Christian themed ditty.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I don't give a sh t about his politics: This is one Righteous MFer who's always written meaningful songs for the honest and the real working class in this country and performed them from the depths of his soul.

If you don't like the Boss, you're part of the problem in this country.

Sheesh. Is that one of his popular songs?

Olegreyboy

Oct 13, 2022
This is not political but I was at a Mitch Ryder concert in the cow barn and someone in the upper bleachers was heckling him. He stopped and llooked up at him and said “if you don’t shut your mouth I’m going to come up there and slap something in it”

• Haha
Reactions: Darryl Steight

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
i could not stand this back in the day and it had nothing to do with politics or music quality, didn't like it cause every time a Springsteen video came on that was one less space for "Hot for Teacher" video to play
I was gonna post that the VH 1984 album was much better and also 40 years old... looks like some others had the same thought!
No politics at a VH concert - just pure awesomeness.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
I was gonna post that the VH 1984 album was much better and also 40 years old... looks like some others had the same thought!
No politics at a VH concert - just pure awesomeness.
you definitely did not have to worry about that... VH came to the Jackson Coliseum in January 1984 when i was 13 years ago.... i was going to go but the show was on a Thursday, which also happened to be report card day... in the immortal words of Jeff Spicoli , "no dice". i did get to go see David Lee Roth at the same location in 1986 when he came for the Eat Em and Smile Tour. he had Cinderella, who i loved, opening up for him , so it all worked out.

Reactions: Mr. Cook and hdogg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login