OT: 7mm vs 300

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I’m looking to get a new rifle soon. I recently got some additional hunting land that has a few wide open agriculture fields to hunt. I’d like something with a little more reach. I’m leaning towards a 7mm but I’m not an expert on either gun. Would love to get some opinions.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Assuming you are comparing magnums? They are really apples and oranges. The 300 is a true magnum, the 7mm is a magnum in name only. The 7mm is really more comparable to a 270 Winchester ballistics wise. There are several newer calibers that are really flat shooting without the massive recoil of the magnums, 6.5 crredmoore should be an option although ammo is more difficult to come by. A 270 or a 308 are my choices for whitetail. Ammo is plentiful , relatively cheap, and easy to find and I’m confident with either out to 600-700 yards. Three secrets to shooting long range, knowing the yardage, knowing your gun, and practice.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I hunt a lot of hay fields and usually shooting 200-250 yards. I bought a Browning 7 mag and it is nice but I have only knocked one deer down with it. Usually have to track them into the woods. Not much knock down power. I have a 35 Whelen that puts them down tho

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
All I know about a 7mm rifle is a couple years ago an old man in George County blew a guys lung out the side of his body with one from 6 foot away over a dog pissing on his mothers grave on the land he sold the guy.

So if you plan on shooting anything that close then there ya go.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I would get the 300 mag. The knock down power down range isn’t comparable. I wouldn’t worry about the recoil while hunting it’s only on the range that you would feel it. And it’s the best if you want to go elk hunting.

Last edited:

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
7 mm or .270. I have a Weatherby .270 for hunting wide open land and have no problems knocking down deer at range.

Nov 14, 2010
I do love a 30-06 and for the same reason I like the 7 MM - plenty of options and places to find cartridges. I shoot a 30-06 now and have shot an elk with a .270. Son shoots a 7 MM and loves it. Damn is it loud though when shooting without the break. I wanted him to have a rifle he could anywhere and anything in North America…….rest of his life. I can say the same for the 30-06

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I hunt a lot of hay fields and usually shooting 200-250 yards. I bought a Browning 7 mag and it is nice but I have only knocked one deer down with it. Usually have to track them into the woods. Not much knock down power. I have a 35 Whelen that puts them down tho

That is a concern I have with the 7 mag. I also have a 35 and love that gun. I use it all the time. The majority of my hunting land is pine woods with small food plots, max 100 yard shots. Do you use the 35 at 200 yards? I’m still fairly new to deer hunting (started about 8 years ago), so I’m still learning about rifles.

I also have a 30-06 that I would trust at long range but it’s an older Remington 742 that I inherited from my grandfather. I think it’s reached the end of its useful life. I can’t seem to get an accurate grouping from that gun now, I just have no confidence in it.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
What is the furthest shot you are going to take?

There are some spots that I could take a shot little over 500 yards. But the majority of shots the max distance will be around 350 to 400.

This is a pretty big change from my hunting now. I’m typically looking at 100 or less, typically less.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I have but usually take the 7. My 35 is the cheap H&R and it kicks like a mule. It will definitely knock them down right there. No looking for them. Usually I make my shot as they are crossing a hay field that has planted pines on one side. I normally find my deer around the 4th row at the base of a tree with the 7 mag. Personally I think its just a small lead going extremely fast so it passes thru pretty good. Nice shooting gun tho. Browning bolt action Leopold scope.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I'm getting ready to buy a new rifle myself. I'm looking for one that I can use to hunt elk and mule deer. I considered everything from the 30-06 all the way up to the .375 Ultra Mag in case I get into grizzly country.

I narrowed it down to the .300 WSM, .300 WM, and.300 WBY Mag. I'm going with the .300 WBY Mag as it has just a little bit more juice with a heavier load. All three had really good ballistics out to 500 yards and are capable of taking elk.

I'm self guiding and want the ability to take a 200 lb whitetail or a 1300 lb moose if I draw a tag, but mainly muleys and elk. If I was primarily hunting whitetail, I would go .300 wsm all day.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Never had a problem with either. 7MM is what I usually go with. Have a 7MM 08 too and it's a nice shooting little gun. Hate a .270. Lost more deer with it than I care to mention. .300 is almost pointless where I hunt most.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Just from my experience the .300 Mag is not necessary for whitetail deer. The 7mm Mag is almost the same thing, but not as much overkill. Check out the 6.5 Creedmore-my son in law has been using one for several years and he let me use it a couple of times last year. I like it. Just be careful with these huge calibers-they aren’t really necessary for whitetail. If you are going elk hunting out west, maybe. More deer have been killed with the old trusted 30-06 than any other caliber. Be careful with the .270. I’ve been hunting deer with different calibers for at least 50 years-the only deer I ever put on the ground and then had them run off were shot with a .270. Now, that might just be me making a bad shot, but I’ve heard too many stories from people shooting the .270 that I think it’s something to look at.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Not trying to argue, but for the life of me I can't figure out the hype around the 6.5 creedmoor, especially when it comes to hunting.

Below are the ballistics chart for the most common hunting sizes for the 6.5 creedmoor (143 grain) and the .270 (145 grain.)

6.5 creedmoor
View attachment 23146

View attachment 23145

Out to 500 yards the .270 has significantly more velocity and energy (knockdown/killing power), while maintaining a flatter trajectory... 30.6" of drop vs 35.4" at 500 yards. The creedmoor does have less wind drift (in the ballistics above there was a 10 mph right angle crosswind) at 500 yards (13" for the creedmoor vs 13.6" for the .270) but it's negligible. The only real advantage for the creedmoor is recoil at 15 lbs vs 20 lbs. (If you duck hunt with a 12 gauge shooting 3" shells that has over 50lbs if recoil.)

Honestly, if you don't like a .270 for deer hunting because it doesn't have enough stopping power, then you are going to hate the creedmoor because it has less in every scenario.

Here's the Ron Spomer article comparing the two...

https://www.ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/6-5-creedmoor-versus-270-winchester

Last edited:

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
You don’t really need a mag for 400 yards. A .308 will service your needs just fine. Get a good scope for whatever you choose and practice shots at the distances you will be hunting. BDC scopes are pretty nice but require some work to fine tune. Use premium ammo too.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
I see 300 Win Mags in pawn shops, every time I go,

This should tell you part of the answer to this discussion.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I recommended the 300 but at a maximum of 400 yards you can use anything as long as you practice and have a good trigger. I personally love the .30 calibers but they will all do the job. Now I would retire the the 742 jammaster er woodmaster, 30-06 is great caliber but not in that rifle. I had a 30-06 742 and became a better shot when I went to a bolt action 30-06 and became a lot better when I had the trigger worked on.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
6.5 Creedmoor was originally designed by target shooters for long range targets. Doesn't have as much drift as a lot of other rounds IIRC. It can be very effective just like many of the rounds already mentioned.

If I were looking for a new whitetail gun, I'd go 7mm-08. Less recoil with close trajectory to the 7 mag. Save the 7 mag and 300 mags for elk and moose.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
For whitetail hunting in the south, I highly recommend a 338 Lapua. Cuts down on the tracking.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I shoot a 300WM. Several reasons. This is my “Western “ rifle but I hunt Mississippi deer with it too. Wide variety of bullets to choose from in 30 cal. for reloading. In normal times, 300WM ammo of some sort on the shelf in almost every sporting goods store if you get in a bind. Excellent ballistics. Recently shot steel very well at 600 yards. Would be confident at ranges longer than that. Occasionally get an opportunity to hunt elk in The Grizzly country of Western Wyoming. All of the guides carry something something in 30 cal. magnum family. Most carry the 300WM. Excellent performance experienced on everything from white tails to elk to long range antelope. The 7 mag is also an excellent round but if you think that you will ever hunt out west, you might want to consider the 30 cal. round. If you hand load might look at the 300WSM, but the factory ammo options are pretty limited in the WSM version. Bottom line, either one is great for long range shooting and would be fine unless you might ever hunt Grizzly country, then go with something in the 30 cal family. Grizzlies are to be taken seriously. I have stories….

Last edited:

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I shoot a 300WM. Several reasons. This is my “Western “ rifle but I hunt Mississippi deer with it too. Wide variety of bullets to choose from in 30 cal. for reloading. In normal times, 300WM ammo of some sort on the shelf in almost every sporting goods store if you get in a bind. Excellent ballistics. Recently shoot steel very well at 600 yards. Would be confident at ranges longer than that. Occasionally get an opportunity to hunt elk in The Grizzly country of Western Wyoming. All of the guides carry something something in 30 cal. magnum family. Most carry the 300WM. Excellent performance experienced on everything from white tails to elk to long range antelope. The 7 mag is also an eexcellent round but if you think that you will ever hunt out west, you might want to consider the 30 cal. Round. If you hand load might look at the 300WSM, but the factory ammo options are pretty limited in the WSM version. Bottom line, either one is great for long range shooting and would be fine unless you might every hunt Grizzly country, then go with something in the 30 cal family. Grizzlies are to be taken seriously. I have stories….

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
A 7mm and a .270 are virtually the same bullet. Sounds like you missed the deer.

Never had a deer run with the 7MM. Not once. But the one thing I learned with it is the bullet matters more. I could throw anything in the .270 as long as it was the same grain. That's not the case with the 7MM.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I recommended the 300 but at a maximum of 400 yards you can use anything as long as you practice and have a good trigger. I personally love the .30 calibers but they will all do the job. Now I would retire the the 742 jammaster er woodmaster, 30-06 is great caliber but not in that rifle. I had a 30-06 742 and became a better shot when I went to a bolt action 30-06 and became a lot better when I had the trigger worked on.

Yeah, the woodsmaster is hitting the gun case for good this year. Honestly, I’ve never had the jamming problems that I read about online. It’s been a good rifle for me. There is some nostalgia there with it being my grandfather’s too but I just don’t feel confident pulling the trigger on that gun now.

DirtyDog

Aug 24, 2012
I have used a Remington Model 700 .270 Mountain Rifle (lighter weight) for over 25 years, and it has killed a lot of deer. I like the rifle because it's lightweight (mountain version) and shoots a nice group up to 300-400 yards. I haven't had to shoot at that range much, but even my kids have used it to kill deer at 200 yards easily. In my experience, the .270 has plenty of power to knock down a buck, and that shot placement is probably more key than the small differences in caliber at 7mm or .270. I have shot them perfectly in the lungs and they run about 20-30 yards. Then I've shot a little high and dropped them due to paralysis. Hitting them high in the front shoulder if they are turned conveniently generally drops them as well. I have a 7mm-08 and it doesn't shoot much differently than the .270. One note on the mountain rifle variation of the Remington .270 is that it has a lighter weight stock and barrel which does seem to make getting exceptional groupings more difficult as the barrel heats up, especially if you have done a few previous shots at the range. First shot, is always spot on though, and that is generally most hunters best shot at a kill. Interestingly, I also prefer to carry my Scout 35 Whelen when shooting 100 yards or less (in the thick areas) because it will punch a big whole in whatever it hits, and I can shoot a nice group with it up to 150 yards. Beyond 150 yards, the accuracy seems to fall off rapidly.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
What about .375 h&h? I've always told myself I'd get one so I'd have a reason to hunt moose, bear, African game etc

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
7mm-08 is an almost perfect round for hunting in open areas. However, most people in Mississippi probably never shoot more than 50-100 yards and that is why a 30-30 is probably the most sold/owned gun in Mississippi.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
I shoot 150 gr in my 7MM and 165 gr in my .270. Primarily because they've been the most accurate for those guns and I rarely have a shot over 200-250 yards.
7MM- vel. at 300 yards: 2470 Ener: 2035
.270- vel at 300 yards: 2134. Ener: 1669

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
If you don’t plan to ever hunt out west and only hunt whitetail deer at medium ranges, then just about any caliber will work. Get a good quality bolt action with a good adjustable trigger, top it with good glass find a bullet that you gun likes and go hunting. The rifles on the market today are just so good with regard to accuracy it is hard to go wrong.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I have to agree that the 7 and the 270 are almost identical. 7 mm =.275". The case is almost identical. I accidentally shot a 270 in my 7 mag. Imo, the only reason anyone would buy a Creedmoor for deer hunting is so they could brag about having a 6.5 Creedmoor. And tbh I had a new 30 06 picked out but as always I had to wait to be cleared for purchase by the damn Govt and saw this Browning in the Market Bulletin. Wish I would have waited really.

BELdog

Aug 23, 2012
7mm Rem Mag is not really a magnum in terms of performance. It’s right in the same ball park as a 270 Win, 280 Rem or 30-06. That said, if you are shooting inside of 500 yards, you don’t need magnum performance. You need range time, a range finder, a proper scope and more range time. With those tools at your disposal anything out to 300 yards is a cake walk and 400-800 yards is just a matter of learning how to read wind and do some basic math…or downloading a ballistics calculator on your phone.

“Knock down power” is a ******** myth that marketing folks invented to sell new guns. What kills deer, and everything else, is blood loss, loss of oxygen to the brain or a disruption of the central nervous system. Hydrostatic shock helps, but even with something like a 257 Weatherby Magnum, the bullet has to be placed in the right place.

The problem with “magnum” chamberings is recoil and muzzle blast. Most people cannot tolerate recoil well enough to shoot something like a 300 WM without developing a flinch or learning to anticipate the recoil / blast. A brake will help with reduce recoil, but increases muzzle blast to almost unbearable levels. A suppressor aides in reducing both and makes my 300 WM comparable to shooting an unsuppressed 308.

What is your current deer rifle chambered in?

BELdog

Aug 23, 2012
Not trying to argue, but for the life of me I can't figure out the hype around the 6.5 creedmoor, especially when it comes to hunting.

Below are the ballistics chart for the most common hunting sizes for the 6.5 creedmoor (143 grain) and the .270 (145 grain.)

6.5 creedmoor
View attachment 23146

View attachment 23145

Out to 500 yards the .270 has significantly more velocity and energy (knockdown/killing power), while maintaining a flatter trajectory... 30.6" of drop vs 35.4" at 500 yards. The creedmoor does have less wind drift (in the ballistics above there was a 10 mph right angle crosswind) at 500 yards (13" for the creedmoor vs 13.6" for the .270) but it's negligible. The only real advantage for the creedmoor is recoil at 15 lbs vs 20 lbs. (If you duck hunt with a 12 gauge shooting 3" shells that has over 50lbs if recoil.)

Honestly, if you don't like a .270 for deer hunting because it doesn't have enough stopping power, then you are going to hate the creedmoor because it has less in every scenario.

Here's the Ron Spomer article comparing the two...

https://www.ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/6-5-creedmoor-versus-270-winchester

I don’t understand why people love or hate the 6.5 Creedmoor, but people tend to fall into one camp or the other. I’ve hunted with a 6.5x55 for a long time which is a ballistic twin to the 6.5 CM and it kills deer just fine. I’ve got 6.5 CMs too and they kill stuff plenty dead. I can say the same with every single cartridge I have ever used though from 223 Rem to 300 WM. They all work if you put the bullet in the right spot.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Yep. Ballistically speaking, it seems to fall in that 25-06 to .270 category... Which are great deer killers. I don't want to come across as being negative, but man that is the most hyped round ever. And I guess the little differences really add up with long range target shooting, but for hunting deer, it's right in there with a half dozen others that check all the boxes.

BELdog

Aug 23, 2012
Yep. Ballistically speaking, it seems to fall in that 25-06 to .270 category... Which are great deer killers. I don't want to come across as being negative, but man that is the most hyped round ever. And I guess the little differences really add up with long range target shooting, but for hunting deer, it's right in there with a half dozen others that check all the boxes.

As a deer round, I completely agree that it is the most over-hyped, under-performing cartridge since the 7mm Rem Mag. It’s an efficient design and it’s a capable deer killer inside of 400 yards, but as you said, so are a plethora of other cartridges. I think the hype created the haters. I just ignore the hype and shoot what I like. There’s not a thing wrong with the 6.5 CM, but if I person already owns a 270, 280 Rem, 260 Rem, 25-06, 308 or any of the various other cartridges built off the 308, there’s zero reason to go buy a 6.5 CM unless you want less recoil or just need an excuse to buy a new rifle.

Joe Schmedlap

Aug 11, 2010
Of the 2 choices you asked about, I’d go with the 7mm Mag.

Now, after reading how you plan to hunt and what ranges you expect to cover, just buy a .270 Winchester. You don’t “need” a magnum rifle for hunting white tail deer out to 400 yards. The .270 Winchester would be perfect!

FISHDAWG

Dec 27, 2009
I’m looking to get a new rifle soon. I recently got some additional hunting land that has a few wide open agriculture fields to hunt. I’d like something with a little more reach. I’m leaning towards a 7mm but I’m not an expert on either gun. Would love to get some opinions.

A lot of folks here are fans of the magnums and energy carriers ... Just remember a 300 whether it be Weatherby or the lesser Winchester will not efficiently transfer that energy at closer ranges of 150 yards or less as it tends to blow through the animal with actually less hydrostatic shock than a .308 or 30-06 would .... 250 yards or more it's the opposite story, so that's why you need more rifles (at least that's what I told my wife) ... the never-ending argument of an all around rifle will never be agreed upon except maybe the caliber ... stick with .30 caliber (unless it's a 30-30 which still has it's place in the woods and in my safe)

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login