OT: 7mm vs 300

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I still shoot my dad's 30.06 Remington Woodsmaster. I've shot countless deer with it and my son shot his first deer with it last season. It will forever have a special place in my heart, but I just think the .06 in general is one of the best all around rifles. I can't think of anything in the United States I would be scared to go up against with it. Admittedly, it may not be ideal for a large grizzly or kodiak, but it will kill one and it has the range to do the job for 95% of the shots hunters will ethically take.

FISHDAWG

Dec 27, 2009
I still shoot my dad's 30.06 Remington Woodsmaster. I've shot countless deer with it and my son shot his first deer with it last season. It will forever have a special place in my heart, but I just think the .06 in general is one of the best all around rifles. I can't think of anything in the United States I would be scared to go up against with it. Admittedly, it may not be ideal for a large grizzly or kodiak, but it will kill one and it has the range to do the job for 95% of the shots hunters will ethically take.

I took a 300 Win Mag and a 30-06 to Colorado for elk, mule deer, and bear .... after hunting the first day I took the 30-06 for the rest of the trip ... and scored well with it. But I had long range shooting experience in the military and can hit what I'm aiming at

BELdog

Aug 23, 2012
A lot of folks here are fans of the magnums and energy carriers ... Just remember a 300 whether it be Weatherby or the lesser Winchester will not efficiently transfer that energy at closer ranges of 150 yards or less as it tends to blow through the animal with actually less hydrostatic shock than a .308 or 30-06 would .... 250 yards or more it's the opposite story, so that's why you need more rifles (at least that's what I told my wife) ... the never-ending argument of an all around rifle will never be agreed upon except maybe the caliber ... stick with .30 caliber (unless it's a 30-30 which still has it's place in the woods and in my safe)

Except, that’s not how bullets work. More speed equals more bullet deformation which is what expansion really is. The closer that animal is, the more the bullet will expand regardless of the cartridge being used. I’ve heard that false statement about faster shooting cartridges blowing right through without expanding forever and it just isn’t true.

1984dog

Apr 4, 2014
There are some spots that I could take a shot little over 500 yards. But the majority of shots the max distance will be around 350 to 400.

This is a pretty big change from my hunting now. I’m typically looking at 100 or less, typically less.

RonPolk,

Here is what you need:
1) a gun that will produce at least 1,000 ft-lb of knockdown power at what ever distance you desire to shoot. Anything less is not ethical.
2) a gun that you can accurately shoot. You should be able to get a 6" diameter or smaller group at whatever distance you intend to shoot. If you can not get a 3 shot group of 6" diameter at 400 yards - you do not need to shoot beyond that distance.
3) Good glass that will enable you to shoot at long distances. I would tend to spend just as much $$ on glass as I would the gun - if not more!
4) A bullet that can perform to the requirements of #1 and #2 above. If you cannot hit what you shoot - there is no use in shooting.

There are many calibers/bullets that can meet the above. You just need to be comfortable in shooting the gun - and the rest will take care of itself.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
I shot a 300wm for about 20 years. After shoulder surgery I switched to a 7-08. Inside 400 yards, there's not much the 300 does better. If I wanted to shoot further I'd probably build a .280AI or a 7mm STW.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login