OT: Actors On Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It's hard for me because they have quite a few millionaires. But the studios are not addressing A.I. actors claim. I think it's really about the fact that there is no control or established compensation for using their likeness with A.I. It reminds me of the digital usage debate musicians went through with Napster, where people were sharing out their songs without them getting paid. It's not quite the same, but it's about technology changing things. I would have never thought about downloading songs just a few decades ago.

Screen Actors Guild Announces Strike, Joining Writers on Picket Lines

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
It's hard for me because they have quite a few millionaires. But the studios are not addressing A.I. actors claim. I think it's really about the fact that there is no control or established compensation for using their likeness with A.I. It reminds me of the digital usage debate musicians went through with Napster, where people were sharing out their songs without them getting paid. It's not quite the same, but it's about technology changing things. I would have never thought about downloading songs just a few decades ago.

So they want their own NIL deals.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
This tweet made me laugh:

The Nanny 90S GIF

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Mostly a big bunch of entitled narcissistic left coast fruits and nuts. I hope they stay off work a long time
You should hear them talk about this. You would think someone was treating them like the extraordinary gifts to people that they are. Making them give up their spas and fly coach.

I agree they should be given the right to veto their use of likeness and compensated in some fashion. When you hear their remarks you would think they are carrying around yokes and chains.

The short version of the Nanny's speech if you want to chuckle, you should listen to the whole thing.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
OT: Actors On Strike

Oh no! Whatever will we do???

They’re all a bunch of fruit cakes.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

I went to NYC last month and while I was there I saw them (the writers) picketing at Paramount.

If not for that, I wouldn't even be aware this is happening. Pretty inconsequential, in my mind. Just a bunch of rich people yelling at each other about who should be richer.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
You should hear them talk about this. You would think someone was treating them like the extraordinary gifts to people that they are. Making them give up their spas and fly coach.

I agree they should be given the right to veto their use of likeness and compensated in some fashion. When you hear their remarks you would think they are carrying around yokes and chains.

The short version of the Nanny's speech if you want to chuckle, you should listen to the whole thing.

does she not realize how bad that makes her and all actors look and how poorly it was worded?

But I'd still

Hit It Lets Dance GIF by Team Coco
still hit it though

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023

I think a big sticking point is the studios want to require scanning of actors, pay them only for that one day, and use the scan Forever without paying the actors per use.

It's not the millionaire famous actors that would get hurt, it's the struggling background guys whose jobs would just go away There will be no Extras. Just digital copies.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
Actors , Professors, Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers will be replaced by AI eventually

I've been working for various tech chip manufacturers for 25 years, mostly Intel. I remember about 20 years ago, some other tech know-it-all told me that my job would be replaced by automation in 3-5 years. I'm still waiting...
Shortly after that, I got even smarter , and decided to started writing more automated stuff to make my life easier. I got pretty good at it, and then started sharing it w/ co-workers. Sure enough, I haven't even been able to automate myself out of a job yet, and I've got pretty good job security since I can automate stuff better than most. I figure I can at least get to retirement before I'm replaced by AI.

Of course, the kids may be screwed, but they listen to rap music so I don't really give a 17.

Disclaimer : Humility isn't one of my strong-suits.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
It’s funny how everyone is blaming the actors and the writers (who do get paid way less than they should) and not the billionaire studio executives
Many of us are just temporarily inconvenienced, but the sun is gonna shine in our backdoor some day and we want to be able to screw the little guy too.

80% of actors and writers with union cards can barely make a living in the industry... but I doubt too many of us understand how it all works.

But we'll stream the SHI4 out of some netflix and prime and go see pictures at the Malco that get advertised well enough by PRODUCERS! They got us right where they want us.

Last edited:

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Eventually is a long time away. ChatGPT is a glorified search engine. I'm not worried about it replacing true creativity any time soon.
The average American filmgoer is not going to care who or what writes and stars in the crap they are willing to pay for and watch. The producers know this.

McDonalds serves billions and they've never won a cooking award.

We crave consistency not creativity. That's why we keep consuming the same stuff now. The stuff most of us go for is already formulaic.

Last edited:

dawgoneyall

Nov 11, 2007

17 them

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
The average American filmgoer is not going to care who or what writes and stars in the crap they are willing to pay for and watch. The producers know this.

McDonalds serves billions and they've never won a cooking award.

We crave consistency not creativity. That's why we keep consuming the same stuff now. The stuff most of us go for is already formulaic.
I completely disagree.

The " Average filmgoer " cares VERY MUCH about who stars and who writes the films.

Put me in as Iron Man instead of RDJ, and we never get the MCU.

As for writing, look at what James Gunn did for Guardians, vs what DC did with much better characters in Justice League.

Watch the Departed without that cast or Marty directing.

Watch Sopranos without Gandolfini.

Breaking bad without Cranston

Yellowstone without Costner

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I've been working for various tech chip manufacturers for 25 years, mostly Intel. I remember about 20 years ago, some other tech know-it-all told me that my job would be replaced by automation in 3-5 years. I'm still waiting...
Shortly after that, I got even smarter , and decided to started writing more automated stuff to make my life easier. I got pretty good at it, and then started sharing it w/ co-workers. Sure enough, I haven't even been able to automate myself out of a job yet, and I've got pretty good job security since I can automate stuff better than most. I figure I can at least get to retirement before I'm replaced by AI.

Of course, the kids may be screwed, but they listen to rap music so I don't really give a 17.

Disclaimer : Humility isn't one of my strong-suits.
I bet you used a bot to write this reply.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I completely disagree.

The " Average filmgoer " cares VERY MUCH about who stars and who writes the films.

Put me in as Iron Man instead of RDJ, and we never get the MCU.

As for writing, look at what James Gunn did for Guardians, vs what DC did with much better characters in Justice League.

Watch the Departed without that cast or Marty directing.

Watch Sopranos without Gandolfini.

Breaking bad without Cranston

Yellowstone without Costner
You are right. What bothers me is when they work or act to make a vertical or social statement instead of acting or writing to entertain people, The movies with got the last two years have been crap, and you can learn most TV shows or anything that is written or needs a script to follow. If you don't believe me, look at the criteria now. You have to match even to be considered for an Oscar. You have to fulfill all social or political checkboxes, and then you might be considered for the award.

I don't know there's still shooting this movie, but wait until you see the acting choices for is Disney's live adaptation of Snow White and the Seven... somethings.

Reactions: She Mate Me

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
You are right. What bothers me is when they work or act to make a vertical or social statement instead of acting or writing to entertain people, The movies with got the last two years have been crap, and you can learn most TV shows or anything that is written or needs a script to follow. If you don't believe me, look at the criteria now. You have to match even to be considered for an Oscar. You have to fulfill all social or political checkboxes, and then you might be considered for the award.

I don't know there's still shooting this movie, but wait until you see the acting choices for is Disney's live adaptation of Snow White and the Seven... somethings.

Similar observation, most casts now are intended to just be diverse. 1 token person from every race, and some shows now have 1 token trans person. I am a FIRM believer in everyone's right to happiness, and support every gay right, and all that. For real, Not sarcastic. But it's just not a believable casting decision, and usually doesn't result in the best screen chemistry.
The Quantum Leap reboot was the epitome of this. Writing wasn't great but the time travel was more believable than the supposed love story.
Friday was not a diverse movie. Neither was The Departed. Yet they were both great in their own ways.
Ok... ending rant... NOW

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

As usual, I had to Google for context to what the latest conservative outrage is.

Apparently the pictures are of stand-ins. Does that satisfy you, or are you going to respond with 'of course that's what they would claim'?

It's odd that someone named 'Snow White' is played by a Latina woman, but whatever- that is like 432nd on my list of things to actually give a 17 about.
It must be nice to have that be atop your priority list for things to be upset over.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I went to NYC last month and while I was there I saw them (the writers) picketing at Paramount.

If not for that, I wouldn't even be aware this is happening. Pretty inconsequential, in my mind. Just a bunch of rich people yelling at each other about who should be richer.
You clearly don't watch any live script TV over the last few months. That's cool and all, like you said- it's inconsequential for you.
It definitely impacts a while lot of society, on the left and right.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Actors , Professors, Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers will be replaced by AI eventually
Eventually...like decades? I've read and heard the claim about lawyers many times now, and since I'm married to one, it's been discussed.

For some basic research, yes there will likely be a push to utilize AI.
For so much more though- it's gonna be more than a few versions of AI before a lawfirm is willing to have AI review a contract, advise on impact and changes, then sign off on the end result without human review.

Reactions: hdogg

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Most of the current stuff is crap anyway. Just turn to ME TV or INSP and watch reruns of MASH, Hogans Hero’s, Andy Griffith, Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Wagontrain, The Big Valley, The Rifleman, etc, etc. after all these years it’s still better than the current offerings and you don’t have to worry about inappropriate content for anyone.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I wonder how the horse-and-buggy folks felt when the car came about? Put me in the "I don’t care” camp. I’ve been fooled into watching too much awful crap out there anyway. Let them destroy themselves. The phoenix-version will have to be better. Can’t be worse.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
It’s funny how everyone is blaming the actors and the writers (who do get paid way less than they should) and not the billionaire studio executives
It will be resolved as soon as execs feel it. It’s not something that Joe public is going to care much about. Most acting positions don’t pay much

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I think a big sticking point is the studios want to require scanning of actors, pay them only for that one day, and use the scan Forever without paying the actors per use.

It's not the millionaire famous actors that would get hurt, it's the struggling background guys whose jobs would just go away There will be no Extras. Just digital copies.
Honestly not sure how to feel about this. First question is that if studios are wanting to scan actors and only pay them a one time fee, can the actors not just decline? Second point is that I’m not sure how to feel sorry for a guy/gal that is unable to make a comfortable living by sitting in the background in a fake coffee shop while pretending to enjoy a latte

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
It will be resolved as soon as execs feel it. It’s not something that Joe public is going to care much about. Most acting positions don’t pay much
Which would fall directly in line with essentially any profession in the artistic industries. Painting, writing, musicians, comedy… A few make a lot of money, most don’t.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Which would fall directly in line with essentially any profession in the artistic industries. Painting, writing, musicians, comedy… A few make a lot of money, most don’t.
And there are about a gazillion people vying for a relative few high paying gigs. It’s not unlike pro sports. It just doesn’t have formal tiered destinations that I’m aware of, no “minor” league

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I've not attended an actual movie in over a decade. Only live tv I watch is sports, and those actors are getting paid bank! AI won't replace them. But on a positive, AI can be used to show a full Davis Wade every single week. Question is, can we claim that for attendance records and bragging rights?*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login