OT: Actors On Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
As usual, I had to Google for context to what the latest conservative outrage is.

Apparently the pictures are of stand-ins. Does that satisfy you, or are you going to respond with 'of course that's what they would claim'?

It's odd that someone named 'Snow White' is played by a Latina woman, but whatever- that is like 432nd on my list of things to actually give a 17 about.
It must be nice to have that be atop your priority list for things to be upset over.
I'm not outraged over anything. Anyone should get a part they are the best candidate for, not just check a box. Far too many movies have been made without using any people of color in them, but the answer is not to go entirely in the other direction to make a point.

As far as writing goes, that will take care of itself. Movie studios will get tired of buying scripts that don't make money because they are not entertaining. If you really don't understand what I'm talking about or don't know what I'm talking about. Take a look at Mission Impossible this weekend. There are no overt social political statements, and it is just pure entertainment.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
It will be resolved as soon as execs feel it. It’s not something that Joe public is going to care much about. Most acting positions don’t pay much
I.E. This is a bunch of "actors" nobody has ever heard of threatening to not make movies that most people would never go see anyway.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
It’s funny how everyone is blaming the actors and the writers (who do get paid way less than they should) and not the billionaire studio executives
Which actors get paid less than they should?

which studios make too much money?

be specific.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I.E. This is a bunch of "actors" nobody has ever heard of threatening to not make movies that most people would never go see anyway.
And most of those movies make zero to little money. So what they really want a cut of is movies they had no part in.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I think a big sticking point is the studios want to require scanning of actors, pay them only for that one day, and use the scan Forever without paying the actors per use.

It's not the millionaire famous actors that would get hurt, it's the struggling background guys whose jobs would just go away There will be no Extras. Just digital copies.
I mean I think they should be paid “per use” but modern technology has helped lots of things.

Its also limited the needs for humans.

20 years ago it took 10 people on an assembly line
10 years ago 6 people
5 years ago 4 people
Today 2 people bc equipment automation and technology

Same difference.

Adapt. Overcome.

Lot of filthy rich actors who could start their own studio and do it the “right way”.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Perleman is a perfect example of a very successful working actor. He makes a good living by industry standards. He's easily in the top 10%. You do have a handful making a few million each year with acting work alone. He ain't one of those.
Those that make that much, like Hanks, get in on the production side as soon as they can. That's were the real money is.
The Studio Exec Perleman's after who made the statement may be stupid, but he's not wrong.
Producers just have to hold out long enough to get the majority of the union in a panic about losing their homes and livelihoods. If the producers hold out long enough they can bust the union and they know it.
So it just depends on how much money they are sitting on --- it's a lot.
They are gambling that most of us are willing to pay to watch crap until they get the actors and writers to bend to their will.
From this thread, it looks like a good bet.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Perleman is a perfect example of a very successful working actor. He makes a good living by industry standards. He's easily in the top 10%. You do have a handful making a few million each year with acting work alone. He ain't one of those.
Those that make that much, like Hanks, get in on the production side as soon as they can. That's were the real money is.
The Studio Exec Perleman's after who made the statement may be stupid, but he's not wrong.
Producers just have to hold out long enough to get the majority of the union in a panic about losing their homes and livelihoods. If the producers hold out long enough they can bust the union and they know it.
So it just depends on how much money they are sitting on --- it's a lot.
They are gambling that most of us are willing to pay to watch crap until they get the actors and writers to bend to their will.
From this thread, it looks like a good bet.
Of course that could just be AI and not Perleman

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I'm not outraged over anything. Anyone should get a part they are the best candidate for, not just check a box. Far too many movies have been made without using any people of color in them, but the answer is not to go entirely in the other direction to make a point.

As far as writing goes, that will take care of itself. Movie studios will get tired of buying scripts that don't make money because they are not entertaining. If you really don't understand what I'm talking about or don't know what I'm talking about. Take a look at Mission Impossible this weekend. There are no overt social political statements, and it is just pure entertainment.
I agree that the answer to more diversity/inclusion is not go overboard in the other direction to an extreme.

The reference you made though has a very reasonable explanation and is hardly something to get outraged over(you or others).
Some are standins. Also, apparently Disney listened to Dinklage and are using more than just literal dwarfs. I don't think changing dwarfs to be various workers in a mine changes anything of importance in the story.
But yes, it is a surprise to see a Latina woman playing the lead. It just isn't bad though. It isn't good and it isn't bad to me.

And yes, I do think that if someone is so plugged into the outrage machine that they can reference the Snow White 'scandal' that broke a day ago, in a casual conversation post on a message board like SPS on the same day, then there is a good chance they are outraged.
Outrage doesn't need to mean they are literally shaking their fist and screaming. It's a term that describes all the things that media pushes and misconstrues in an attempt to create division and keep people perpetually plugged in.

All the social media and traditional media ranting over Disney remakes and Disney changing cast is hilarious to me since so many of the people hating on it are not the target audience and weren't going to watch it even if it stuck to a traditional cast.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Maybe they will stay on strike forever. The world would probably be a better place if they did.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I agree that the answer to more diversity/inclusion is not go overboard in the other direction to an extreme.
The diversity and inclusion committee at Neflix has gone too far with this. I think it's perfectly fine for Disney to have some non-white princesses and characters as long as it doesn't get too silly and forced. The Ariel movie was fine and people over reacted to it. America is no longer the America of the 1950s. It's a much better place. Just don't go too far otherwise you get the sarcasm of this pic. It's like some people who get upset over a non-white Santa at Christmas. Santa, and these Disney characters. are fictional. Just chill a bit and ridicule and laugh at the excesses.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: patdog

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The diversity and inclusion committee at Neflix has gone too far with this.
Netflix has a historical documentary about Hilter where he is portrayed as black or by a black actor?

That's insane. Or is this some parody?

Jan 13, 2008
It's hard for me because they have quite a few millionaires. But the studios are not addressing A.I. actors claim. I think it's really about the fact that there is no control or established compensation for using their likeness with A.I. It reminds me of the digital usage debate musicians went through with Napster, where people were sharing out their songs without them getting paid. It's not quite the same, but it's about technology changing things. I would have never thought about downloading songs just a few decades ago.

Screen Actors Guild Announces Strike, Joining Writers on Picket Lines
With the child global trafficking issue being addressed, many of these actors may be out of work in the coming months anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: WilCoDawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It's a joke
Noted.

The side discussion began, in part, because people confused standins with actual actors and got all irked up over the standins being diverse. Additionally, some head tilting casting has actually taken place that changes how some characters look.

It's tough to know what's real, what's a joke, and what is misunderstood.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
YES SIR!!

All actors/actresses can go jump in the Pacific with a 150lb weight around their neck.
Is this a view that you have due to what you perceive as their collective politics?
Or is it based on what you perceive to be what they 'deserve' due to their careers?
...or is it something different entirely?

I just haven't met many people who honestly have no interest in watching movies, TV shows, or plays. And of those who have no interest, I don't know of anyone who is actively hostile in their view of actors.

Reactions: drexeldog23

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Hollywood accounting is remarkably creative and as much of a fantasy as some films. The big studios likely treat their employees worse than many of the businesses that get demonized in movies. Good think I have more than a few series and movies to catch up on before football season starts.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Most of the current stuff is crap anyway. Just turn to ME TV or INSP and watch reruns of MASH, Hogans Hero’s, Andy Griffith, Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Wagontrain, The Big Valley, The Rifleman, etc, etc. after all these years it’s still better than the current offerings and you don’t have to worry about inappropriate content for anyone.
Same here. I'll take a Gunsmoke rerun over today's schit.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
As usual, I had to Google for context to what the latest conservative outrage is.
I dont have to Google the latest liberal outrage. What do you think about Kristen Bell having 20-30 people for a dinner party at what I think is her private residence in which all of the guests were Caucasian? I've seen quite a bit of outrage over that.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
You are right. What bothers me is when they work or act to make a vertical or social statement instead of acting or writing to entertain people, The movies with got the last two years have been crap, and you can learn most TV shows or anything that is written or needs a script to follow. If you don't believe me, look at the criteria now. You have to match even to be considered for an Oscar. You have to fulfill all social or political checkboxes, and then you might be considered for the award.

I don't know there's still shooting this movie, but wait until you see the acting choices for is Disney's live adaptation of Snow White and the Seven... somethings.
We will just disagree.

So you are offended that the imaginary characters are not the same as you have in your mind? That's pretty conceited of you.
If you are offended about the "race" of a mermaid or dwaves that talk to animals, you need a hobby.

There have been some very good movies made recently. I will concede the global pandemic probably affected what was made.

The recent push of scary movies that let our imagination run vs showing it on screen and saving lots of money.

I have no idea why so many on this board seem to think the expansion of rights and inclusion of people that are not white means they personally get less. It's not a zero sum game.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Same here. I'll take a Gunsmoke rerun over today's schit.
Right it's amazing that a cherry picking 70 years of TV has better shows than what they put out this year.....

You probably complain that you'd rather watch 1996 MSU basketball vs this year. That team was way better....

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Which actors get paid less than they should?

which studios make too much money?

be specific.
If the studios get their way, all background actors will not be paid for the use of their likeness.

In that scenario, all of the studios will be making too much money.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
YES SIR!!

All actors/actresses can go jump in the Pacific with a 150lb weight around their neck.
I'm curious on what you do for entertainment....

Since you have such a loathing for actors, i assume you have no television.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login