OT: another car thread...this seems like a bad move for Acura

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Semi-OT. I was not too worried about EV fires, but seeing this and thinking about where our stairs are in relation to the garage, I'd have second thoughts about it.

I’m still not worried about them any more so than my gas filled internal combustion engine. The article you linked does throw a wrench into my opinion a small amount though.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I’m still not worried about them any more so than my gas filled internal combustion engine. The article you linked does throw a wrench into my opinion a small amount though.
Fires with ICE cars are certainly a thing, and enough of a thing that you can (or at least use to be able) to get a slight discount in insurance if your garage or carport was detached (although that may be as much related to other things people store in their garage, like oil or gas or oily rags that can combust), but I don't think the risk is the same. Even if the batteries aren't more likely to catch on fire than ICEs (which I think is the belief but that may change as more EV cars are out there), they apparently are harder to contain once they do.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
1) They've claimed they are heading toward an all electric future, and some of those claims they seem to indicate it will happen pretty fast. This will lose people like me who really like, and buy, Acura now.

2) They have partnered with GM for the EV tech. Let's take a luxury brand known for Honda-like reliability and pair it with GM quality...I don't understand that at all.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/0...the-zdx-starting-at-around-60k-in-early-2024/
Not judging on the EV for everyone that some here feel is/will be forced on them.

GM has a good "Skateboard" EV design. It uses the battery pack and Motors commonly across all the EV's. This allows for abase simple design for the drivetrain, and then lets you put whatever on top of it.

Reliability on an EV is not going to be the same issue as an ICE. There's only one moving part in an electric motor. And so far, most of the car companies buy them from Electric Motor companies...

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Imagine the national security implications of all of our transportation being totally dependent upon a functioning power grid. At present, with the distributed nature of how gas is made, delivered and stored, it seems that it is more resilient to nation state threats. I can keep cans of gas full at my house and they retain all of their potential energy. Even if I had space to keep enough batteries to deliver the equivalent, they have to stay charged, with decent battery life to deliver the same energy. EV will have its place, but the way that we go about it will have major unintended consequences that by definition, are likely unknown at the moment. It certainly seems that a measured approach is appropriate.
LOL.

You think our national security is better with having to import Oil?

You think our military policy since 1972 has not been to keep countries that openly hate us, satisfied with protecting them and the oil tankers would get worse if all our energy was domestically produced electricity?

And you don't think that a disruption to the national grid now is not a security concern?

I mean I get you guys love your ICE cars. But come on.... No one is taking them from you. No one will make you sell your ICE car, and you'll still be able to buy a new one for at least another decade, everywhere.

As for the Transition. No one knows what Energy will look like in 10-20+ years, but it will be different. Yes. We need more charging stations and Power if it's all EV. We will need more power and storage if it's Hydrogen or Ammonia. Or we will need more air capture, or some other tech breakthrough if we keep liquid hydrocarbon fuels for all transportation ( Commercial Jet fuel is beginning the switch to a "Sustainable Aviation Fuel". )

But the answer is, we need More Electrical power, way more. We should be building onshore wind where we can, Nuclear, and trying to spread solar quickly. We should be making the grid national, smart, and more resilient.

The political talking point has been " energy independence". The USA will NEVER get there without renewables. and it won't get there with everyone buying ICE cars.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
LOL.

You think our national security is better with having to import Oil?

You think our military policy since 1972 has not been to keep countries that openly hate us, satisfied with protecting them and the oil tankers would get worse if all our energy was domestically produced electricity?

And you don't think that a disruption to the national grid now is not a security concern?

I mean I get you guys love your ICE cars. But come on.... No one is taking them from you. No one will make you sell your ICE car, and you'll still be able to buy a new one for at least another decade, everywhere.

As for the Transition. No one knows what Energy will look like in 10-20+ years, but it will be different. Yes. We need more charging stations and Power if it's all EV. We will need more power and storage if it's Hydrogen or Ammonia. Or we will need more air capture, or some other tech breakthrough if we keep liquid hydrocarbon fuels for all transportation ( Commercial Jet fuel is beginning the switch to a "Sustainable Aviation Fuel". )

But the answer is, we need More Electrical power, way more. We should be building onshore wind where we can, Nuclear, and trying to spread solar quickly. We should be making the grid national, smart, and more resilient.

The political talking point has been " energy independence". The USA will NEVER get there without renewables. and it won't get there with everyone buying ICE cars.
That's quite the reaction to a statement about how much easier it is for me to personally store potential energy in gas cans.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
That's quite the reaction to a statement about how much easier it is for me to personally store potential energy in gas cans.
I guess. That infrastructure is far less secure than the grid. Remember this? https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...e-by-saturday-after-fatal-blast-idUSKBN12V2FC

And you are right. in 2023 for local ease of energy density, liquid Hydrocarbons are easily available and stored.

For National security in 2023? Electricity wins.

For 2033? 2043? Who knows? Maybe cheap rooftop Solar means you don't have to be plugged into the national grid. Battery prices before the toyota announcement were 50-60% less than the 2023 prices by 2030.

Or maybe we have local scale electrolysis and local Hydrogen stations in 2043.

Or maybe we spend another $7 trillion in wars making sure the oil supply keeps flowing...

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Didn't we bail out the Car Industry before? What's a few more trillion?
Dyid ou read your article, or even the second half of the headline you pasted?

Ford expects to bleed $4.5 billion on electric cars this year, but it makes enough on everything else that it might not matter

Look up what ford pulled in last year and what % it was up or down.

After doing that, tell me what do you see that leads you to think a bail out is coming soon?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Acuras are bad ***. I had a 2005 TL for 10 years and that damn thing was as responsive as you could ever dream of. Premium non-ethanol gas and it would get over 30 MPH on the highway.

Many Acura models are about as close to owning a sports car as it gets.
Bro, you were hitting 30mph on the highway? Sick!

...just joking around.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Dyid ou read your article, or even the second half of the headline you pasted?

Look up what ford pulled in last year and what % it was up or down.

After doing that, tell me what do you see that leads you to think a bail out is coming soon?
Yes and yes. Our government has been paying big business debts off for a long time. Try to pay off a loan for education and they scream.

They may not do anything but losing billions toting the government's water (EV) sounds like good reasoning in their book. Before you ask a question trying to make me sound foolish you should remember all the times we've bailed out big business. It's a shame I didn't work in high risk side of banking in 2008. I might have not lost my job and still gotten a nice bonus after Washington handed that bailout bill over to tax payers. BTW... Washington is just one party, Washington.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Bro, you were hitting 30mph on the highway? Sick!

...just joking around.
Highway MPH was about 23+ using standard premium. It was 30+ with non-ethanol premium.

You could feel the difference in performance, too. It was always responsive, but lack of ethanol was a totally different level.

Sadly, they don’t sell it here in DFW or most very large population centers due to environmental concerns. I’ve been thinking about creating my own brand that I could also enjoy with dinner… ****

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
1) They've claimed they are heading toward an all electric future, and some of those claims they seem to indicate it will happen pretty fast. This will lose people like me who really like, and buy, Acura now.

2) They have partnered with GM for the EV tech. Let's take a luxury brand known for Honda-like reliability and pair it with GM quality...I don't understand that at all.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/0...the-zdx-starting-at-around-60k-in-early-2024/
Every major car manufacturer has announced plans to be all EV by 2030, or 2035, except Toyota. Toyota saw the wisdom of developing hybrids, but switched gears last year towards EVs...and if course announced a solid state battery with a 900 mile range and 10 minute charge times.

Realistically, there will still be a market for ICE vehicles, and I can't see manufacturers leaving that money on the table.

OTOH, the market is rapidly accepting EV technology. Total EV sales will top 1 million vehicles in the US this year, while sales of new ICE cars is dropping. Tesla is the leading seller of luxury vehicles in the US right now, and sold more Model Ys last year than every Acura model combined (and I don't even consider Tesla's very luxurious).

As for infrastructure, I have a client that produces charging stations, and they cannot keep up with demand. You EE majors can probably count on a job in the charging industry if you need it.

2030 might be an overly optimistic deadline for most manufacturers, but I could definitely see the industry being all EV by 2035.

That doesn't mean ICE vehicles will cease to exist. Used models will still be on the road and available to buy. There might be smaller manufacturers offering ICE vehicles for the right price. And commercial vehicles will likely still be ICE. But gas prices will probably be so high by then that people will be eager to switch to electric.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Highway MPH was about 23+ using standard premium. It was 30+ with non-ethanol premium.

You could feel the difference in performance, too. It was always responsive, but lack of ethanol was a totally different level.

Sadly, they don’t sell it here in DFW or most very large population centers due to environmental concerns. I’ve been thinking about creating my own brand that I could also enjoy with dinner… ****
OK you are screwing with me now on the mph/mpg thing. Well done.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Yes and yes. Our government has been paying big business debts off for a long time. Try to pay off a loan for education and they scream.

They may not do anything but losing billions toting the government's water (EV) sounds like good reasoning in their book. Before you ask a question trying to make me sound foolish you should remember all the times we've bailed out big business. It's a shame I didn't work in high risk side of banking in 2008. I might have not lost my job and still gotten a nice bonus after Washington handed that bailout bill over to tax payers. BTW... Washington is just one party, Washington.

I am not defending or supporting ford. I am not defending or supporting big business. I am not defending or supporting bailout culture.

I just pointed out that ford is currently nowhere close to needing what you posted about- a bailout.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Every major car manufacturer has announced plans to be all EV by 2030, or 2035, except Toyota. Toyota saw the wisdom of developing hybrids, but switched gears last year towards EVs...and if course announced a solid state battery with a 900 mile range and 10 minute charge times.

Realistically, there will still be a market for ICE vehicles, and I can't see manufacturers leaving that money on the table.

OTOH, the market is rapidly accepting EV technology. Total EV sales will top 1 million vehicles in the US this year, while sales of new ICE cars is dropping. Tesla is the leading seller of luxury vehicles in the US right now, and sold more Model Ys last year than every Acura model combined (and I don't even consider Tesla's very luxurious).

As for infrastructure, I have a client that produces charging stations, and they cannot keep up with demand. You EE majors can probably count on a job in the charging industry if you need it.

2030 might be an overly optimistic deadline for most manufacturers, but I could definitely see the industry being all EV by 2035.

That doesn't mean ICE vehicles will cease to exist. Used models will still be on the road and available to buy. There might be smaller manufacturers offering ICE vehicles for the right price. And commercial vehicles will likely still be ICE. But gas prices will probably be so high by then that people will be eager to switch to electric.

Agree with all of this except the last sentence. Its hard to see the EV switch doing anything besides making gas much cheaper. That decline in demand plus the fact that supply is still readily available will likely yield lower relative prices, even if the average price per gallon is unchanged for the next 10-15 years.

PRAVan1996

Mar 7, 2023

Pretty sure the US government (and by extension, US tax payers) made a profit on the 2008 TARP bailout. We came out ahead by something like $10-15 billion if I remember correctly. So, no, the bailout bill wasn't paid by tax payers. It was essentially a loan that businesses paid back.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Pretty sure the US government (and by extension, US tax payers) made a profit on the 2008 TARP bailout. We came out ahead by something like $10-15 billion if I remember correctly. So, no, the bailout bill wasn't paid by tax payers. It was essentially a loan that businesses paid back.
I am really glad that someone did well in 2008 because most of us didn't.

Palos verdes

Aug 22, 2012

Another brand that will not sell the same volume of vehicles if they go to an all EV lineup.

Ddog

May 24, 2023
My niece just unloaded an Acura SUV. She bought a certified low mileage from the dealer in Jackson. Come to find out it had been wrecked and it stayed in the shop for something all the time that they couldn't get parts for. I expected more from Honda.
Sounds like the dealer probably knowingly sold them a piece of crap to begin with….my experience with Acura is limited to the MDX. It is a super fine, reliable ride with a luxury feel.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login