OT: Another kind of left lane driver

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
The one that goes the exact same speed as the car in the right lane....

Some blame goes on the right lane driver too. For both drivers to not recognize the cluster 17 they are creating behind them speaks to both of the dumbassery that exists inside their respective vehicles when it comes to their driving skills.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

Some blame goes on the right lane driver too. For both drivers to not recognize the cluster 17 they are creating behind them speaks to both of the dumbassery that exists inside their respective vehicles when it comes to their driving skills.
It's totally on the left lane driver. The left lane is for passing.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017

Thought this was going to be a humble brag thread about hitting a power draw off the tee box.**

Reactions: mcdawg22

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
What I hate the most is the person in the car in front of me on the on ramp getting to the point to merge over only doing 40 miles per hours when the speed limit on the interstate is 70. Those are dangerous people. When you get to that point you should be doing the speed limit to merge over smoothly. Also the person in the right lane should merge over and let you in.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
What I hate the most is the person in the car in front of me on the on ramp getting to the point to merge over only doing 40 miles per hours when the speed limit on the interstate is 70. Those are dangerous people. When you get to that point you should be doing the speed limit to merge over smoothly. Also the person in the right lane should merge over and let you in.
Agree, but the biggest jakeleg of all is when you're merging and the doofus behind you wants to go 90 and pass you before you merge

Sep 15, 2009

Relax...pull into a convenient store and get a Snickers.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

I particularly like it when they fly up on my bumper, I get over, they pass, then get back on their phone, slow down and keep pace with the car in the right lane, now going 10mph UNDER what my cruise was initially set to.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Often as not I’m in the motorhome when I’m out on a four lane. If I see someone who speeds up and then slows down while checking their phone I’ll slip up close behind them and while they’re engrossed in their phone I’ll set down on the air horns. Scares the **** out of them but they pay attention to the road for a little while.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Often as not I’m in the motorhome when I’m out on a four lane. If I see someone who speeds up and then slows down while checking their phone I’ll slip up close behind them and while they’re engrossed in their phone I’ll set down on the air horns. Scares the **** out of them but they pay attention to the road for a little while.

As long as no one wrecks, I thank you for your service.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Driving with your cruise control on but having to pass the same car 5 times in a 20 mile stretch because they pass you and then for some unknown reason they slow down.
Typically the ones I see are on their phone. They aren't driving, they are existing behind the wheel. It is the dumbest of dumb these days. It's like having road full of drunk drivers. Idiots all.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Driving with your cruise control on but having to pass the same car 5 times in a 20 mile stretch because they pass you and then for some unknown reason they slow down.
^^^ This. There is a specific ethnicity and sex of driver who is especially given to this imbecilic behavior. Check me on this.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Yes, other than when you get the truly special case of the right lane driver who speeds up when someone is passing on the left.
That driver makes me almost homicidal. Because it never fails while I am trying to pass this asshat who has decided he can't be passed I get somebody running up my rear end wanting to pass both of us. So it is either slow down and behind a-hole #1 and let ahole #2 pass or speed up to faster than you want to drive and risk a ticket to get well past ahole #1 so ahole #2 can then go save the world.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
That driver makes me almost homicidal. Because it never fails while I am trying to pass this asshat who has decided he can't be passed I get somebody running up my rear end wanting to pass both of us. So it is either slow down and behind a-hole #1 and let ahole #2 pass or speed up to faster than you want to drive and risk a ticket to get well past ahole #1 so ahole #2 can then go save the world.
I just hammer it until #1 is a dot in the rear view. I'm sure I'll get a ticket one day doing it, but the stress relief I get from it probably saves me therapy $$$

ETA: Often #2 does the same, then passess me and boom; new lead car

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Easy to tell the people that don’t use cruise control - speed up when you start to pass them and slow down going up a slight hill…
Bingo. Although with the increasing number of cars with adaptive cruise and all the various settings they have, if there's a decent amount of traffic it truly becomes chaotic with some cars using no cruise and some with traditional.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
^^^ This. There is a specific ethnicity and sex of driver who is especially given to this imbecilic behavior. Check me on this.

You just described my wife, she drives me INSANE doing that. She will do 70 to pass somebody doing 65 and then slow down to 60 and they catch us 5 minutes later and have to pass us. One of the MANY reasons that I always drive when we are together unless I just can't hold my eyes open.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
I was not fortunate enough to have cruise control in either of my previous vehicles, but now that I have it now it's a gamechanger for longer drives. My wife's adaptive cruise control is insane though

Reactions: Ranchdawg

atomic dawg

Apr 4, 2019
There are a lot of people that do this because they are on their phone. I ran across an article a while back that talked this type of driver and it being a psychological thing. I forget the details but basically some drivers dont want anyone in front of them because they have to pay more attention to the road... because why would you want to do that?** I guess its easier to focus on your phone when you dont have to pay attention to the driver in front of you.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Yes, other than when you get the truly special case of the right lane driver who speeds up when someone is passing on the left.

I’ll never forget this incident which was probably a Top 3 “closest to committing a homicide” moments in my life.

Freshman year at MSU, one Friday night me and a buddy were driving down to Baton Rouge for the State-LSU game. He worked late before we left town, so we probably didn’t even get out of Starkville until 8:30 or 9:00 that night. First several hours of the drive went fine….hardly any traffic at all on we got past Jackson, which you would expect at that time of night and particular section of highway.

By around midnight or 12:30ish we are just south of McComb, and come up on a very late model Buick that was going a smooth 50mph in the right lane down I-55. I can tell from several hundred yards how fast I was gaining on him (I was doing 78-80 or so). So by the time I get within about 100 yards of him I went ahead and signaled and moved over to the left lane. I proceed to start passing. My car’s gradually gaining without his changing speeds. When I get about 15 yards from his bumper, the dude just floors it. The speed difference between us at the time was such that I still advanced to where our front bumpers were even as he continued to speed up…..but then he took off. I sped up more to continue the pass, got up to 88-90, and he just left like I was standing still. Had to be at 120+….in the right lane the whole way.

Idiot continues at this speed until he gets about a half mile ahead of me, then…..completely lets off. Slows all the way back down to 50. So here we go again….my cruise is still on 78-80. I start passing again. Same thing. Dude takes off for another 30 seconds. Then again lets off. Then it happens a 3rd time. And keep in mind we are the only 2 cars on the road for miles.

By this point, I’m cussing and yelling so loud at this 17ing **** that I’ve woken up my buddy who fell asleep an hour before. I legit feared for my own safety due to nothing more than how angry I was while barreling down the interstate. Thought briefly about testing which of the two of us had the most gas and then tracking his *** until I had a perfect opportunity to send him into a ditch or off a bridge. Thought the better of it, and pulled off at the next exit to grab a snack and a Red Bull for the rest of the way. Didn’t see the 17er again.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
And this is not at all an uncommon occurrence. Much of the time, I don’t think the right lane driver does it intentionally, and there’s just something about it that’s human nature, but it does happy a lot

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
A simple truism that cannot be denied: "You can catch 'em, but you can't pass 'em."

Don't know how many times I have overtaken a car on my right (I'm usually in cruise control mode) and lo and behold I can't pass the vehicle. I have to take it out of cruise and gun it to get the separation necessary to return to the right lane. How is that possible? Such is the mysteries of life.

Reactions: FrontRangeDawg

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

But the vast majority of dubmazzery credit goes to the girl in the left lane not doing what the 17 she's SUPPOSED to be doing while in the PASSING Lane.

Reactions: Motodawg

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
When other drivers do something to piss me off I'll do this on occasion. Especially when lifted trucks with retina destroying LED headlights ride my tailgate
I’m still a big fan of letting off the gas so they get right up on me and washing my windshield off until i run out of fluid. Then brake check them. $4.99 is a small price to pay to watch them dumb 17. I hate all drivers

• Haha
Reactions: WrightGuy821

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
PERSONALLY I BLAME THE GOVERNMENT FOR ALL OF THIS SPEED LIMIT PROPAGANDA OF BETTER GAS MILEAGE AnD HIGHWAY “SAFETY”

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Nothing like being on a back breaking commute, coming to top of a hill and seeing 100+ yards between the 3 idiots blocking the whole behind them and the regular moving traffic.

Reactions: Motodawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login