OT: Anybody got Cicadas yet ? nm

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
After the overnight heavy rains and storms, they've gotten even louder. Noise started about 3 days ago so probably another 2 or 3 weeks to go. My driveway has quite a few dead ones.

Just checked the noise level using my iPhone app: 40dB inside my garage with no other noise sources, 71 dB just outside the garage door. Of course, that includes other background noises as well as cicadas but I have no idea at the moment what the usual background level would be. I'll check after the cicada invasion is over.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
People that say they enjoy being in the quiet woods are really telling you that they don’t go in the woods. Cicadas, tree frogs, Whipoorills, crows hollering, squirrels chattering, birds singing, etc, etc, etc, all at once! I love the woods but it’s hardly ever quiet. Nature doing its thing. You got to love it.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
People that say they enjoy being in the quiet woods are really telling you that they don’t go in the woods. Cicadas, tree frogs, Whipoorills, crows hollering, squirrels chattering, birds singing, etc, etc, etc, all at once! I love the woods but it’s hardly ever quiet. Nature doing its thing. You got to love it.
Or while you’re deer hunting an armadillo walks through. I swear they might be the loudest animal in the woods. Sounds like someone is dragging ten rakes through the leaves on the ground.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Or while you’re deer hunting an armadillo walks through. I swear they might be the loudest animal in the woods. Sounds like someone is dragging ten rakes through the leaves on the ground.
One of my top 10 maddest I've ever been involved an armadillo. Deer hunting several years ago on a freezing day and I was almost completely numb with cold. Was about to get down when I heard leaves crunching. Figured it had to be a deer so I stayed in the stand. For 15 minutes I heard what I had decided j my mind was a trophy buck cautiously making his way through the woods. Then I saw the 17ing armadillo. I knew then what temporary insanity was and why it could be used as a defense in court. I calmly climbed out of the stand, reloaded my 30.06, walked to within 10ft of said armadillo and gave it a 180gr soft point mid mass. Armadillos explode under those conditions.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
One of my top 10 maddest I've ever been involved an armadillo. Deer hunting several years ago on a freezing day and I was almost completely numb with cold. Was about to get down when I heard leaves crunching. Figured it had to be a deer so I stayed in the stand. For 15 minutes I heard what I had decided j my mind was a trophy buck cautiously making his way through the woods. Then I saw the 17ing armadillo. I knew then what temporary insanity was and why it could be used as a defense in court. I calmly climbed out of the stand, reloaded my 30.06, walked to within 10ft of said armadillo and gave it a 180gr soft point mid mass. Armadillos explode under those conditions.
The ole 10 point armadillo buck. Been there done that.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
We can hear them in Madison also and I've seen some maps that showed them all being east of us.