OT: Arctic Blast

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
It's for real. Smashing records up this way in the Northern Rockies. Watch your forecasts, and go protect all your sensitive stuff. It's more intense than what was predicted for us... Talked to a friend who's delivering a crane to Helena, MT and they're not going to reach a high above -20° today. That's brutal.

1000012462.png

• Wow
Reactions: NTDawg and patdog

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Live look in on PooPops testicles:

contract Wrinkle GIF

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
We are lucky. The lows will be near -30° in the morning, but it will warm up to +15° by tomorrow afternoon.
Getting stuck and exposed to those negative temps can kill you. Takes a lot of heat to kill you....just ask those roofers working all day in the August TX heat....just saying ***

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
I've been watching the forecast for the last 4-5 days, and have noticed this : it keeps getting worse.
That's never a good sign.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Everybody knows it's not warming anymore that's too specific. Please use change like everybody else that way you can't be proven wrong ***
Everybody knows the overall climate on earth has not changed in millions of years.**

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I don't know we have affected the weather, but not to the extent our egotistical self thinks we have. George Carlin was probably right when he said the Earth would one day be tired of us. She would then shake us off like a bunch of fleas.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
My Avatar picture is taken on The Going to the Sun Road in Glacier. Love that place.

Want my ashes spread at Bowman Lake when i die.
I want to have a Viking funeral out at the Ross Barnett Reservoir, full gala with a band and a bunch of red necks shooting flaming arrows lighting me up, or they can bury me with my butt pointing out of the ground at the city park making a bicycle rack out of me.*****

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Everybody knows it's not warming anymore that's too specific. Please use change like everybody else that way you can't be proven wrong ***
You are aware that global average temperature is measurable? It is warming. The only real debate is what to do about it, if anything. That gets into harder to define things, like whether it is natural variations in earth warming and cooling cycles, human accelerated (maybe we can do something to help) or primarily due to human created stuff (maybe we can do a lot about it).

I'm not ON either side, except the desire to see formerly normal people return to acknowledging truth and not cultishly repeating far left/right talking points as handed to them by politicians. It is possible to be informed, believe in at least basic science, you know like thermometers, and not allow yourself to be a pawn.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
You are aware that global average temperature is measurable? It is warming. The only real debate is what to do about it, if anything. That gets into harder to define things, like whether it is natural variations in earth warming and cooling cycles, human accelerated (maybe we can do something to help) or primarily due to human created stuff (maybe we can do a lot about it).

I'm not ON either side, except the desire to see formerly normal people return to acknowledging truth and not cultishly repeating far left/right talking points as handed to them by politicians. It is possible to be informed, believe in at least basic science, you know like thermometers, and not allow yourself to be a pawn.
I no longer know what to believe about climate change because I'm registered as an Independent. When I was a Republican I knew with absolute certainty that it was nonsense and humans had nothing to do with it, and fortunately no one ever asked me whether I knew the difference between climate and weather. Then, when I became a Democrat, I knew it was real and primarily caused by humans and that all sorts of horrifying things would happen if we didn't cut carbon emissions drastically. Now, as an Independent, I don't have an opinion on it. Weird.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I no longer know what to believe about climate change because I'm registered as an Independent. When I was a Republican I knew with absolute certainty that it was nonsense and humans had nothing to do with it, and fortunately no one ever asked me whether I knew the difference between climate and weather. Then, when I became a Democrat, I knew it was real and primarily caused by humans and that all sorts of horrifying things would happen if we didn't cut carbon emissions drastically. Now, as an Independent, I don't have an opinion on it. Weird.
Funny enough, I've never been registered as either but voted R my whole life until post 1/6. I'm politically homeless, but that beats lapping up authoritarian or terrorist BS from either side and pretending like I have all the answers because I got them from my "news" sources, which mostly consist of social media feeds that are big algorithmic echo chambers. I mean we have measles again in this country. 17n measles...

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
The truth is that I'm a big fan of science and technology. Global warming is occurring, it's in part caused by the way we live and I expect science and technology to alleviate the worst aspects of it. Seriously, it's not hard to measure temperatures and notice patterns, and I don't think climate scientists are especially dumb people who somehow don't understand that because weather and climate have changed throughout history their views are nonsense. But, I'm not a doom and gloomer so I hope the Greta lovers don't get control of policy. The anti-vaxx crowd makes me scratch my head. It used to be a small group of weirdo lefties who were suspicious of vaccines. Now it's on the right. A lot of people prefer to think religiously about a lot of things rather than scientifically, and now that one's political affiliation means they are largely required to believe all sorts of things that aren't really political to remain in their tribe, I understand. A lot of Americans still don't accept evolution.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
It's for real. Smashing records up this way in the Northern Rockies. Watch your forecasts, and go protect all your sensitive stuff. It's more intense than what was predicted for us... Talked to a friend who's delivering a crane to Helena, MT and they're not going to reach a high above -20° today. That's brutal.

View attachment 504569
It’s okay you like cold so you’ll be fine.

TNDawg1

Oct 21, 2023
If man is wrecking the climate it’s not a domestic political issue. Western Countries are far less harmful to the planet than China, India, and the emerging world. Politicos want you to think it’s your Uncle Billy but they use as much or more carbon emissions than Uncle Billy. The dumbass Subaru Karens who run you over getting to Whole Foods likely use the same amount of carbon too. The ones in my social are all in ski resorts right about now and will pop up on some beach in less than a month.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
If man is wrecking the climate it’s not a domestic political issue. Western Countries are far less harmful to the planet than China, India, and the emerging world. Politicos want you to think it’s your Uncle Billy but they use as much or more carbon emissions than Uncle Billy. The dumbass Subaru Karens who run you over getting to Whole Foods likely use the same amount of carbon too. The ones in my social are all in ski resorts right about now and will pop up on some beach in less than a month.
True. Lots of hypocrites on the political left who have big carbon footprints. That just makes them hypocrites. And yes other countries cause more harm. One way to confront them is not to deny climate change but to ask them about their carbon footprint over the years and see if they're evasive or honest. BTW, I know climate change is occurring and I still fly about 20,000 miles annually.

Last edited:

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022

Dude it was half tongue and cheek which is why I put the sarcastericks in.

I watch the climate religion from afar so maybe I'm stupid to the science. I am familiar with stats and forecasts though. I'd really get my arse handed to me if I tried to forecast the next 5 years of revenue based on half a days sales. Seems like I'd be missing quite a bit of data right? Science tells us how old the planet is and it also tells us how long we have objective temp measurements. Seems like we are missing quite a bit of data right? So, not arguing whatever trend the data tells us today just that it's laughable to make a concrete doomsday claim given the sample size.

Also, one last dirty little secret about forecasts. You can't prove them wrong you can only prove the assumptions built into the forecast wrong thus invalidating the forecast. We should all critically think about the assumptions and quit taking them as the gospel or freaking out about forecasts.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Dude it was half tongue and cheek which is why I put the sarcastericks in.

I watch the climate religion from afar so maybe I'm stupid to the science. I am familiar with stats and forecasts though. I'd really get my arse handed to me if I tried to forecast the next 5 years of revenue based on half a days sales. Seems like I'd be missing quite a bit of data right? Science tells us how old the planet is and it also tells us how long we have objective temp measurements. Seems like we are missing quite a bit of data right? So, not arguing whatever trend the data tells us today just that it's laughable to make a concrete doomsday claim given the sample size.

Also, one last dirty little secret about forecasts. You can't prove them wrong you can only prove the assumptions built into the forecast wrong thus invalidating the forecast. We should all critically think about the assumptions and quit taking them as the gospel or freaking out about forecasts.
The science:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
We need a different solution for EV vehicles, as well. This morning, there were charging stations in Chicago that were frozen. Tesla never considered whether the charging stations or their batteries might be frozen when it actually gets cold.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Pretty cool pics.

Not interested in a long discussion on climate change. I will say once again that models and forecasts are just that. There is nothing special about them. A human usually with help from some kind of tech developed them and I believe most, not all, try to do the best with the data that they have. Models and forecasts work backwards just like they work forward and again they use the best data that is available not necessarily the exact data just the "best" data. If you don't think there is subjectivity in the "best" data then you haven't been close to models or forecasts or human beings with agendas one way or another.

Reactions: M R DAWGS

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Pretty cool pics.

Not interested in a long discussion on climate change. I will say once again that models and forecasts are just that. There is nothing special about them. A human usually with help from some kind of tech developed them and I believe most, not all, try to do the best with the data that they have. Models and forecasts work backwards just like they work forward and again they use the best data that is available not necessarily the exact data just the "best" data. If you don't think there is subjectivity in the "best" data then you haven't been close to models or forecasts or human beings with agendas one way or another.
Yep, models vary. The climate ones have been underestimating the effect if anything. But I usually limit myself to chiming in on "the climate has always changed" and other such blathering that doesn't take into account the science above.

For the above, it's one thing to quibble with the accuracy, it's another to throw the whole thing out, as you are trying to do. Science has never seen such a dramatic shift in climate as we are seeing take place around us. Theres a sober view of the limits of modeling, and theres just attempting to dismiss data you find inconvenient to a preferred worldview.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login