OT: Arctic Blast

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
We need a different solution for EV vehicles, as well. This morning, there were charging stations in Chicago that were frozen. Tesla never considered whether the charging stations or their batteries might be frozen when it actually gets cold.
Perhaps they should have consulted some of the people who drive around with appliance cords hanging from the front of their rides for some knowledge about how cold weather affects things...

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Dude it was half tongue and cheek which is why I put the sarcastericks in.

I watch the climate religion from afar so maybe I'm stupid to the science. I am familiar with stats and forecasts though. I'd really get my arse handed to me if I tried to forecast the next 5 years of revenue based on half a days sales. Seems like I'd be missing quite a bit of data right? Science tells us how old the planet is and it also tells us how long we have objective temp measurements. Seems like we are missing quite a bit of data right? So, not arguing whatever trend the data tells us today just that it's laughable to make a concrete doomsday claim given the sample size.

Also, one last dirty little secret about forecasts. You can't prove them wrong you can only prove the assumptions built into the forecast wrong thus invalidating the forecast. We should all critically think about the assumptions and quit taking them as the gospel or freaking out about forecasts.
Sorry. Overlooked the sarcasterisks. I don't get too hung up on anyone's prediction on anything. They most certainly will miss one direction of the other.

Reactions: HRMSU

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Yep, models vary. The climate ones have been underestimating the effect if anything. But I usually limit myself to chiming in on "the climate has always changed" and other such blathering that doesn't take into account the science above.

For the above, it's one thing to quibble with the accuracy, it's another to throw the whole thing out, as you are trying to do. Science has never seen such a dramatic shift in climate as we are seeing take place around us. Theres a sober view of the limits of modeling, and theres just attempting to dismiss data you find inconvenient to a preferred worldview.
I'm not trying to throw all of it out. I'm not even disagreeing with what the current trend says based on human measured and observed temps. I'm saying there is a lot of subjectivity to a lot of it. You can disagree and that's cool.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I'm not trying to throw all of it out. I'm not even disagreeing with what the current trend says based on human measured and observed temps. I'm saying there is a lot of subjectivity to a lot of it. You can disagree and that's cool.
And that's cool. But most of those saying "there's subjectivity" just are personally and emotionally opposed to the conclusion, not the reasoning, as they have no concerns with subjectivity elsewhere.

Reactions: HRMSU

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
And that's cool. But most of those saying "there's subjectivity" just are personally and emotionally opposed to the conclusion, not the reasoning, as they have no concerns with subjectivity elsewhere.
People like that do not think critically and are susceptible to being a useful idiot. Both sides have plenty of uses for useful idiots. Being a useful idiot doesn't necessarily mean you're an idiot, as most are not, hence they are "useful" for certain agendas/movements.

If a certain agenda thinks I'm an idiot because I just don't subscribe based on my own critical thinking then I'd rather be deemed an idiot and not useful to whatever said movement is afoot.

TNDawg1

Oct 21, 2023
Again, it really doesn’t matter if everyone in the west is on board or not. The majority of earth’s population ( outside of the west ) is escalating demand for energy many X’s our rate of use. It’s getting past silly to be wagging the finger at random neighbors & kin when we’re all similar in our energy consumption here. Oh, you believe in the science ? Have a plant based cookie

Reactions: BoDawg.sixpack
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login