OT: Ask the Pack, Roku 3 or Amazone Fire TV

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
I really, really want to cut the cord. The big thing that has been holding me back is sports coverage, but SlingTV may pretty much take care of that for me. Still missing a few sports channels I want, but I might survive. The other thing that has been holding me back is video and audio quality....I didn't buy a ginormous Plasma TV just to make crappy video look tolerable. I want true HD vidoe, which is why I left Comcast and switched over to Uverse.

I have a smart TV, so I'm already able to stream a lot of content, and most of it looks pretty good. My plan is to cut down Uverse to its base level, and then hook up an antenna and some live TV streaming and see if I can get by. If football season goes well, then goodbye UVerse TV.

Now, I might just wait, since SlingTV might have an app for my Smart TV soon and I won't need another device. But if I need to get another streaming device, should it be Roku or Amazon? Any differences in video/audio quality? Any cool features that create an advantage for one over the other?

OleMissLogo

Dec 28, 2014
A few questions first:

1) Do you have an iPhone or a Droid?

2) How many TVs would you want to stream on (NOTE: Sling only allows one stream at a time)

3) Do you already have Amazon Prime?

esplanade91

Dec 9, 2010
Spend a little extra and get Apple TV. I can't begin to tell you how awesome being able to throw things up on the TV from my phone.

FYI... Comcast is unveiling a Sling TV competitor here soon.

chriswnc

Nov 17, 2013
I would definitely go with the Roku, there are over 2,000 "channels" (granted, you won't care about most of them, but there's still lots of options) plus every streaming service I know of is available on Roku. plus if you sign up for 3 months of sling, you get a Roku stick for free, or $50 off a Roku 3

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
Answers:

1) Droid

2) I have two TVs, but will only stream on 1 at a time

3) Yes, I have Amazon Prime

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
Leaning towards Roku because of the savings, but I really an curious about the video/audio quality vs. Amazon. I have no reason to suspect one is worse than the other, I'm just curious if anyone knows. Amazon claims they are better, of course, but I can't figure out if that is true.

I really don't care about all the other channels on Roku. I have all the apps I want on my Samsung Smart TV. Unfortunately, there is no SlingTV app for Samsung TVs, and when I asked their support group they said they don't know whether they will ever have one.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't think Apple TV had all the live sports, like SEC Network and the like. I"m not going to access sports through Watch ESPN, because the video quality often sucks. And, well, I don't have anything against Apple, per se, I've just never owned any of their products.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
The watchESPN app is as clear as your internet is fast. and appleTV has that app and it includes the SECN. if you have apple products, get an appleTV. If you don't get one of the other options.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Spend a little extra and get Apple TV. I can't begin to tell you how awesome being able to throw things up on the TV from my phone.

FYI... Comcast is unveiling a Sling TV competitor here soon.

This. You can't beat the AirPlay feature.

However, I've never had a roku or anything else.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't think Apple TV had all the live sports, like SEC Network and the like. I"m not going to access sports through Watch ESPN, because the video quality often sucks. And, well, I don't have anything against Apple, per se, I've just never owned any of their products.

Video quality depends on your internet speed. Crystal clear for me.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Love my Roku 3. Video quality depends on your internet connection, but you can get as high as 1080p. The extremely fast menu system is another huge plus for the Roku 3. Every streaming service you can imagine. I take that thing with me on business trips to watch games on SEC Network or Watch ESPN, having it log in through my DirecTV account.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

We have a Roku3 and its fantastic. The WATCHESPN app is clear and comes over at 720. I have just a regular plasma that's probably 5 years old though, and don't get all bent out of shape if I cant see the seams on a curveball in mid-air, so my standards may be lower than many here.

The best thing we got was a TIVO since it records the over the air shows we want. And HuluPlus thru the TIVO blocks 90% of the commercials.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
FWIW, I sometimes watch MNF on the watchESPN app because it's clearer than my cable feed.

OleMissLogo

Dec 28, 2014
Answers:

1) Droid

2) I have two TVs, but will only stream on 1 at a time

3) Yes, I have Amazon Prime

Then you want the Fire TV. It has Miracast (Droid), Sling (one stream), and ties into your Prime account.

Roku has more apps that only like 1% of users actually utilize. Fire TV has everything that you would use.

Don't get an Apple TV. While it is my preferred, you only get full capability if you have an iPhone for AirPlay.

If you travel any, then I'd recommend getting two Fire Sticks rather than the Fire TV. They are very portable, so you can have one on your main TV and one in your suitcase. It is the only device that currently has capabilities for captive portals (which every hotel will have), and they are $39. So you can get 2 for less than the price of the Fire TV. And ultimately, there isn't a big difference between them. Plus, since you already have a Smart TV, you likely don't need the beefed up version of the Fire and can use just the Stick.

I've got the Apple TV in my room (I have an iPhone), Google Chromecast in the living room connected to a Smart TV, and I use a Fire Stick on the go.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
Oh, I will absolutely get TIVO if this all works out. I had Tivo before, but that was before I had HD. I understand the new "Roamio" devices search the Internet for content as well as the live TV schedules, so that should be worthwhile. Plus, I can just attach the OTA antenna to the TIVO instead of getting an antenna for each TV.

I have been very disappointed with WatchESPN, although I don't think I have used it since the 2014 basketball season. Maybe it has improved. I have extremely high video standards for some reason; I switched from Comcast to Uverse because I believe the Uverse HD looks better.

The plan for now is to get one of these content devices and hook it up, plus an antenna to my main TV. I will try to watch TV for the first few months without using Uverse....well, I will still probably watch live programming through the DVR, but first I will make sure I can watch it through other means. If all goes well I will cut the cable.....but first I have to make sure all those little monthly subscriptions really are cheaper than my monthly cable bill.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
That is both helpful, and not at all helpful at the same time! Did not settle anything for me, but it looks like Roku has a better GUI.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Why not just get both (Roku3 and Fire TV)? You're talking really small dollars here measured up against cutting the cord. I've got a Chromecast, FireTV Stick, Roku2, Xbox360, plus Smart TV, and they all have merit for something. I think the Roku is the most versatile, and I'd get it if you only wanted one. But try both. Or get the Roku 3 and then a Fire TV stick. Just my thoughts.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
Good answer. There's a good chance I will wind up with both....just wanted to make a really small investment for now and see how it goes, because I'm still keeping the cable. I figure these platforms are going to keep expanding and wanted to hear some pros and cons.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
Tell me this about the Firestick: can I plug into the HDMI port of my A/V receiver? I would assume so, but just wanted to check. My TV is a little weird about passing audio to the Receiver, so I prefer to plug everything directly into the receiver and just pass video to the TV.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
How much are you people really saving tho? I posted about my UVERSE and here's

where I stand:
$119/mo after taxes, fees, everything.
Here's what I get with a one year contract:

UVerse 300: Every channel you could ever want all in HD (SECN, ESPNs, History channel types, news, locals, yada yada yada)
HBO/Cinemax for 3months free
Starz, Showtime, Encore with my plan ($3 extra a month)
DVR
2 Receivers with one being wireless
45mps internet although mine reads I'm getting 75mps most of the time as high as 89mps

BONUS: I got $300 in pre-paid VISA reward cards for signing up online. I just got them and just paid my second bill with part of one of the cards, so I get 2 1/2 months free basically.

If you go the other route:
Stand alone internet seems to be about $75/mo where I live (Brighthouse or AT&T are only ones I currently know about) for high speed where you would get HD streaming quality of video.

Add on Sling: $20/mo
Add on Netflix: $8/mo
Add on Hulu: $8/mo

Total: $111/mo

Difference: $8/mo.....
and you don't get premium cable and movie channels, DVR, and multiple receivers. So where do you really get the best value?

The key is finding a low cost internet provider and I'm not sure there really are any out there at this point. These companies make the internet expensive, so you really get the value by adding TV. Is this not typical for most people? The only way to get a substantial difference is not to have Sling, but you would probably need something else and that's still only $28/mo less without Sling or $336/year and with my current plan. I would have saved a total of $36 total the first year if I went without a bundle with UVERSE. To me it might make more sense next year when they try to jack up my bill, but if I went back to the cable company, I was paying $130/mo, so that equates to an $18/mo savings opting out of the bundle with the current options available and priced as they are.

Question: What are you total bills for internet and cable/streaming services for those of you who do not do the cable bundle option?

Last edited:

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
Well, that is the ultimate question that I am still trying to figure out. Here's the thing: I've had Uverse for 2.5 years, and I have already exhausted all my discounts. Now, if I call and threaten to leave I suppose they will offer me some new discounts to stay, but I don't like to make idle threats....if I call and say I'm leaving and they don't offer anything to keep me, then I'm not going to cave and stay with them.

So my total bill is outrageous. First, I'm still going to pay for Internet either way, so don't factor in the price of Internet service. Also, I already pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime, so those won't be new costs either. I pay $127 per month for Uverse 450, which includes all the movie channels except for EPIX. Plus I have 2 extra receivers at $9 each, and in the Fall I have been adding the $7/month HD upgrade so that I can get a few extra sports channels like NFL Redzone and all the regional Fox Sports channels. Add in taxes and fees, and my total charges are over $180/month. Its so stupid I'm embarrased to admit I'm paying it here on the Interwebs.

I thought about downgrading to Uverse 300, but that is still $95 per month, and adding HBO/Cinemax and the Showtime bundles would actually make it more expensive than UVerse 450.

So here's what I'm thinking:

Sling + HBO + Sports package + Hollywood extras (Epix and other movie channels) = $45
Tivo = $12.50 (or you can pay $499 for a lifetime contract)
Hulu + Showtime = $19

And, I think I have a 250GB limit on my Internet service, so there is a chance I will exceed that and have to get a new plan. The good news is, ATT won't bill me the first month I exceed the limit, but I might cut back on just having ESPN running in the background on a regular basis.

Like I said, I don't think its fair to add in Netflix or Amazon Prime, because I'm already paying for those, so its $77.50 per month compared to $182.50 less whatever discount ATT may offer me. $100 a month is worth a little research. Of course, there are some initial expenses in buying all the equipment, and then upgrading it later, but the equipment essentially pays for itself.

No doubt I will find other apps that I also want to pay for, so there are more costs. In the end, the savings is probably less than $1,000 per year, and it will be a little more complicated than my current setup, but I will have that feeling of being in control and the ability to cancel services at any time. I will also enjoy telling ATT to go screw themselves, except that I still like their Internet service!

Last edited:

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
It makes perfect sense to do it in a situation like yours. Once the cable or internet company starts jacking up your bill, that's when the switch will come into play for me, but it won't necessarily make my bills cheaper, but will make them cheaper than what they would be if I stayed with the cable company. What if you dropped a lot of the premium services your are currently paying for? How would your bill stack then?

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
The individual services aren't that expensive, so it doesn't make much sense to drop them. I've run all the numbers before and I stayed at the premium service. I really like HBO/Cinemax's original content, although I'm not sure it is worth the $20/month or so that you wind up paying for it ($15/month through Sling TV). I watch Showtime less and less these days, so I could cut that and save a little bit. There's just not a lot of room to cut back if you really like sports and movies.

My Internet bill will go up, though. I think I will lose a "bundling" discount if I cut the TV, so that's more money already, plus the possibility that I will need to pay for more data.

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003
I have a Roku Stick and have been generally pleased with it. Not as high def as the more expensive models, but that is not as much of a concern for me. My big beef is with Netflix. The movie selection sucks and I never find anything I search for. Never. And there is still a bunch of Christmas-themed stuff on there, especially in the Kids section which makes no sense at all.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
I'm starting to use Netflix less and less. I binge-watched a few series on there in the past few years, and I recently watched some good documentaries (one on the Amazing Randy and one exploring the origination of General Tso's Chicken). But their overall content is starting to suffer with the competition from Amazon and Hulu. I'm not even that impressed with their original content.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
Now that I think about it, I have only used WatchESPN for the obscure sports events that I could not get on another channel....primarily MSU basketball games. I don't really know what the video quality is for the regularly scheduled programs.

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003
For movies, it seems a Blockbuster subscription makes more and more sense, especially for stuff too old for RedBox.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
Thanks for everyone's input. I think I'm going with the Roku 3 for a few possibly nonsensical reasons:

1. First, I want one of the top of the line units, because video and audio quality are important to me and I don't want to get one of the sticks and then second-guess whether the quality would be better if I paid a little more money. So it is either the Roku 3 or the Amazon Fire TV.

2. The Roku allegedly has a better user interface, and since I don't have a lot of time to find out what all is out there, this is appealling to me.

3. It's half off with the Sling TV deal; and

4. The Amazon Fire apparently has cool video games. As a recovering game addict, I simply cannot have that kind of temptation in the house. I would never get anything done.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I was at $120/mo until January. Now, my Comcast internet is $29.99/mo for 25 down, been the same for 3 or 4 years now and amazingly stayed that price when I got rid of cable 7 months ago. Roku free every month, $8.99/mo Netflix, free Hulu+ using Bing Reward points. Home made antenna in the attic made from scrap 1"x4" board and some coat hangers gets me 25 channels, main network ones i.e. NBC ABC CBS PBS FOX are all in HD. So my total bill is $39/mo including the internet (which I would have regardless of cable situation) but I will be adding Sling next month + sports package for another $25/month during formal season then I'll get rid of it. The alternative is to get a Chromecast and cast WatchESPN to TV for football season

OleMissLogo

Dec 28, 2014
The alternative is to get a Chromecast and cast WatchESPN to TV for football season

You'd need a cable subscription for that. WatchESPN only allows you to watch ESPN channels that you are subscribed to. So, Sling is what you would need to get (or use someone's login, but that's true for all of the monthly subscriptions).

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Forgot to mention I can get Watch ESPN using account I set up using mother in laws Comcast account. She is oblivious to technology

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
Thought I would give an early update on my efforts. The Roku 3 got delivered a couple days ago. I really like the Roku, but Sling TV is a bit disappointing.

First, they only broadcast live TV in stereo. This isn't a big deal for sports, I guess, but it is disappointing for HBO and EPIX. I guess if I had researched a little harder I would have learned this.

Second, most of the channels do not allow pausing, rewind, etc. EPIX does, but most of the live channels do not. This isn't terrible, since I plan on running my Roku through TIVO, which would record everything, but its another disappointment.

Also, the content is kind of weak, but I'm assuming this will improve over time.

Finally, HBOGO would not give me SlingTV as a provider option. I'm paying $15 a month extra for HBO, so it seems like they would recognize that. HBOGO is kind of a necessity, since it plays in 5.1 audio. I will be giving HBO a call on Monday to check on things.

So, glad I have the ROKU, but so far SlingTV is not good enough for me to cut the cable.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I guess it depends on how serious of a TV viewer a person is. For $20, you can't expect all the extras. I'm sure not spending $15 for one channel so HBOGO is a non factor for me. I don't even pay the extra $5 for the Epix movie channels as I have Netflix. I will pay $5 for the add on sport channels when football kicks off.

There is only so much time I devote to TV. Sling works well for me at my primary house and on the go when at my condo. A good value for my situation.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login