OT: Best battle scene in movie

Sep 12, 2013
I watched the unrated cut of Oliver Stone’s “alexander” movie the other day. The Battle of Gaugamela scene was insane. Maybe the best I’ve seen imo.

D day in Saving private Ryan is up there.

What’s the best battle scene recreation in a movie in yalls opinion?

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I watched the unrated cut of Oliver Stone’s “alexander” movie the other day. The Battle of Gaugamela scene was insane. Maybe the best I’ve seen imo.

Not a movie, but I love Battle of the Bastards in GoT. Battlefield Run in 1917 is cool as well.

grinningmule

Jul 15, 2021

I'd like for Ridley Scott to take on a remake...or a proper make of Alexander. The casting and acting was pretty bad overall.

msugrad2003

Aug 27, 2013
The ones previously mentioned are great. If I had to add a mention: we were soldiers (Mel Gibson) but also a short battle in Behind Enemy Lines (Owen Wilson)

band of brothers had too many to name

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Visited Omaha Beach many times and once with the daughter of a man who was killed there before she was born. One visit was the on June 5, 1994, where the 44th Indiana National Guard was welcomed back to the reunion of the fiftieth anniversary. Their old commander reminded them that they would be called heroes for the next few days, but the truth was last those who gave their lives on D-Day were the only heroes. Every old man broke down and cried right there. I cried with them, too.
It must have been hell. Saving Private Ryan got it right. It is hell to watch.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
And then the Hobbit movies took everything good about LotR and made it had. Battles were tedious.

The Hobbit movies made the same mistake as the Star Wars prequels, leaned way too heavy on the CGI. The LOTR looked real and gritty even with mythical creatures, the Hobbit all looked very fake.

Sep 12, 2013
I'd like for Ridley Scott to take on a remake...or a proper make of Alexander. The casting and acting was pretty bad overall.
Colin Ferrell wasn’t great but I thought it was pretty good. Not as good as Troy but still good. They got a lot of stuff right as far as historical accuracy goes. That story is so great it doesn’t need changing obv. Like some other stories do, perhaps.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
D-Day from Saving Private Ryan is about as good as it gets. I would put a few more out there.

1. We Were Soldiers- the battle in the Ia Drang valley is pretty good.
2. 300- the recreation of the battle of Thermopylae.
3. Enemy at the Gates- the hunt between Vasily Zaytsev and the Nazi major.
4. Fury- the scene with War Daddy fighting the Tiger tank.
5. Hurt Locker- defusing the car bomb outside the American embassy.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
No particular order off the top of my head….

We Were Soldiers: Broken Arrow sequence

LOTR: Helms Deep and the Charge of the Rohirrim at Minas Tirith

Midway: Dive bombing scenes taking out the Japanese carriers

Band of Brothers: Carentan Counterattack

Braveheart: First battle against the English

Kingdom of Heaven: the defense of Jerusalem and taking out the siege towers

The Patriot: Battle of Cowpens

Gettysburg: Little Round Top charge

Platoon: the final battle scene

Saving Private Ryan: D-Day

Blackhawk Down: Little Birds airstrike

Gods and Generals: Battle of Chancellorsville

and I know it’s goofy as hell but the final battle in Rambo 3. It’s the ultimate over the top action flick battle.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

Band of Brothers and the 1st 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Saving Private Ryan. A few years ago wife and I visited Normandy. When I looked down from the top of that bluff to the edge of the water I got cold chills and almost cried.
I agree on what looking down on the beach from the bluffs at Omaha does to you, me too. Looking UP at the German bunkers from Dog Green beach does more than send cold chills and make you cry. It just leaves you stupefied and speechless. The impact of what you are seeing, if you realize what it meant to invading troops there......I was there in 2010, and it still haunts me to this day. I can't imagine what it did to the men that actually survived that place. Most in the first wave didn't have to worry about THAT. If I have my terminology right, Dog Green was the sector of Omaha where the opening scene of Ryan actually happened. Contrary to what many belive, I actually think we could do it again IF our people were convinced that it was something that HAD to be done. It went un lauded or recognized in the press, but our youth responded magnificently to 9/11. They really did.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
zack snyder film GIF

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
All these mentioned are good. I don't remember the exact scene, but I remember Glory having some pretty good battle scenes.

I'll add an under the radar answer: a movie I love and a scene that gives me chills and makes me want to stand up and cheer is the real life shootout scene near the end of Patriot's Day, as the Boston bombers are trying to escape. I'll try not to spoil it, but the sergeant (played by JK Simmons) in a face to face gunfight with the bomber in the street... he felt like a modern day Wyatt Earp. That guy is/was a hero.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Not a movie, but damn sure ought to be. The story of Daniel Inouye and the 442nd is pretty incredible.
This description of what happened is pretty intense and entertaining: https://www.badassoftheweek.com/inouye

Link is worth clicking just for this first sentence:

This Wednesday, November 1st, the surviving members of the American 442nd Regimental Combat Team traveled to Washington, DC, where they were awarded Presidential Gold Medals to honor their dedication to the timeless art of crotch-kicking the flaming shitfire out of Nazi Deutschbags across Italy and France during the Second World War.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I agree on what looking down on the beach from the bluffs at Omaha does to you, me too. Looking UP at the German bunkers from Dog Green beach does more than send cold chills and make you cry. It just leaves you stupefied and speechless. The impact of what you are seeing, if you realize what it meant to invading troops there......I was there in 2010, and it still haunts me to this day. I can't imagine what it did to the men that actually survived that place. Most in the first wave didn't have to worry about THAT. If I have my terminology right, Dog Green was the sector of Omaha where the opening scene of Ryan actually happened. Contrary to what many belive, I actually think we could do it again IF our people were convinced that it was something that HAD to be done. It went un lauded or recognized in the press, but our youth responded magnificently to 9/11. They really did.
One of my best friends Dad partook in the DDay invasion (for you Warren County folks that was JW Hearn). JW recently passed away a couple years ago. I was told when the family took their annual vacation to beach every year JW would stay in the hotel. My buddy once asked his Daddy why wont you come to the beach with me and JW's response was if you ever saw a red beach you would never want to see another one. After his son watched Saving Private Ryan he understood what he meant.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

1692368994604.png

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login