OT: Best battle scene in movie

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
I like the battle of the bastards, but GRRM always had a way of someone swooping in at the last moment to save things.
Worst battle was the Battle of Winterfel that was filmed in complete darkness.
The entire Dothraki Horde defeated in about 40 seconds.... come on.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
All these mentioned are good. I don't remember the exact scene, but I remember Glory having some pretty good battle scenes.

I'll add an under the radar answer: a movie I love and a scene that gives me chills and makes me want to stand up and cheer is the real life shootout scene near the end of Patriot's Day, as the Boston bombers are trying to escape. I'll try not to spoil it, but the sergeant (played by JK Simmons) in a face to face gunfight with the bomber in the street... he felt like a modern day Wyatt Earp. That guy is/was a hero.
This would have been my nomination.
Hell of a movie.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I liked the final assault on Hamburger Hill. Although it wasn't really pleasant watching our boys get shot like that. Then when they finally get near the top to take it over, our own stupid helicopter door gunners start mowing down our own soldiers after confusing them for the enemy. That was a real bummer to watch.

Reactions: msstatelp1

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
Contrary to what many belive, I actually think we could do it again IF our people were convinced that it was something that HAD to be done. It went un lauded or recognized in the press, but our youth responded magnificently to 9/11. They really did.
I agree about the response to 9/11, but that is not in the same universe as the D Day invasion. And as to how we would respond today, I would have to see it to believe it would be similar. I think a lot has changed in the last 20 years.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Forbidden Planet, the crew battling the monster from the id at the starship. Still trying to figure out why the crew members ran up to the monster to kick arse.

PapaDawg

Nov 19, 2014
After the landing they lost almost all communication with the soldiers on the beach so close air support would be difficult to coordinate
In the early morning before the 1st wave hit the beach there was a B-17 attack on the beach defenses. Most of the bombs fell to far inland and missed the intended targets.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
In the early morning before the 1st wave hit the beach there was a B-17 attack on the beach defenses. Most of the bombs fell to far inland and missed the intended targets.
Thank God Hitler was sleepy, stupid and high. The Germans had the forces to drive the allies back into the water. They just couldn't wake his meth *** up to give orders to release the available troops.

PapaDawg

Nov 19, 2014
Thank God Hitler was sleepy, stupid and high. The Germans had the forces to drive the allies back into the water. They just couldn't wake his meth *** up to give orders to release the available troops.
Most people do not know about the Nazi meth addiction in the upper ranks. It was not just hitler.

Reactions: thatsbaseball
Sep 12, 2013
Yall need to buy the unrated cut of Alexander and watch the opening battle. It’s been described even by historians as the most realistic recreation of an ancient battle ever made.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Flashback Cinema - FRENCH TAUNTING, BACK ON THE BIG SCREEN! In Monty Python  & the Holy Grail King Arthur and his knights seek shelter in an English  castle and encounter an especially
No, this!

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
It wasn't just the upper ranks. It was issued to their line soldiers as well.
They issued Pervitin (meth pill) to basically all their troops. I am a little sketchy about the details, but I think there was an entire Nazi battalion that thought they were under attack outside Leningrad. They were hallucinating and the Russians found them out of ammo and asleep after they passed out.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login