OT: Best place to live in Mississippi?

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
What say the pack? I’m looking to move my family to Mississippi within the next year or so. My mom is getting older and I would like to be closer. We are a family of 5. My kids are 13, 9, and 6, so school quality is important. Moving from a blue state to a red state, I know there will be a bit of a culture shock, but probably not much as my wife and I raise our kids with pretty traditional values.

Would prefer to stay in the southern half of the state. Pretty stoked to see how much farther my dollar goes with regard to real estate.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
I’m one of the rare people that growing up lived in Southaven, Diamondhead, & Madison. North MS has come a long way from the mid 90s but it’s 3rd for me. Currently I’m right outside of the city in Madison and it’s a really great set up. Country living but Madison/Ridgeland amenities. Too much family and business to leave where I’m at now but to me, the coast is the best place to live in MS. Abundance of things to do. Great vibe. Safe. I’m partial to the west side PC/D’head/BSL but the east side OS is awesome too. If I could start from scratch with my family with no considerations besides pick the best place to live it’s the MS Gulf Coast.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
A couple of thoughts.. if you think there is a huge difference in your daily life depending on which color state you live in then you probably should turn off cable news. I travel to a bunch for work.. I can assure you things are rough all over.

2nd… if high quality schools are supremely important to you you’re going to be shockingly disappointed in how similar the cost of living will be compared to wherever you’re coming from.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
What type of thing are you looking for besides school? Where does your mom live? Do you drink? What type churches do you want, and do you want them at all? What type of people do you want to be around.

Generally, the answer to this question is always Madison (best overall city in the state and you have a major metro close by), but according to your situation, there might be another option.

Remember, with the Coast, there’s always a risk of hurricane headache. Do you like small towns? The Hattiesburg area is not bad at all these days. Being a USM fan, this probably should be an option.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
What type of thing are you looking for besides school? Where does your mom live? Do you drink? What type churches do you want, and do you want them at all? What type of people do you want to be around.

Generally, the answer to this question is always Madison (best overall city in the state and you have a major metro close by), but according to your situation, there might be another option.

Remember, with the Coast, there’s always a risk of hurricane headache. Do you like small towns? The Hattiesburg area is not bad at all these days. Being a USM fan, this probably should be an option.
For me, the most important factors are quality of schools, public safety, and entertainment options. Mom lives in the Laurel area. My wife and I both drink, but we rarely go out (would like for this to change). Currently attend a non-denominational church. I know there’s no shortage of places of worship.

Currently on the short list are Madison, Brandon, Flowood, Petal, Hattiesburg, Oak Grove, Biloxi, Ocean Springs, BSL, Gulfport. Not necessarily in that order.

patdog

May 28, 2007
For me, the most important factors are quality of schools, public safety, and entertainment options. Mom lives in the Laurel area. My wife and I both drink, but we rarely go out (would like for this to change). Currently attend a non-denominational church. I know there’s no shortage of places of worship.

Currently on the short list are Madison, Brandon, Flowood, Petal, Hattiesburg, Oak Grove, Biloxi, Ocean Springs, BSL, Gulfport. Not necessarily in that order.
That’s pretty much the list.

• Haha
Reactions: 11thEagleFan

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Best schools are going to be Madison Central and Ocean Springs, unless you want private.

As far as your mom, Coast or Hatty might be best, as it’s not exactly easy to get from Madison to Laurel. Maybe look at Petal or Oak Grove, not sure if they’ve gone down as far as schools, but used to be the play.

I personally think the Coast has more shlt to do than Jackson as well.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

School quality.

Southern half of the state.

Mom lives in the Laurel area.

Sounds like you’re looking at either Petal, Oak Grove, or Ocean Springs— not necessarily in order.

Best schools are going to be Madison Central and Ocean Springs, unless you want private.

As far as your mom, Coast or Hatty might be best, as it’s not exactly easy to get from Madison to Laurel. Maybe look at Petal or Oak Grove, not sure if they’ve gone down as far as schools, but used to be the play.

Eh. 55 — a fixed 49 — 84 isn’t a bad drive at all.

So the Madison area is doable. But compared to the other locations, it’s almost like the veritable island of misfit toys.

One thing not mentioned are job opportunities:

Is that a factor or is it remote work?

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
What say the pack? I’m looking to move my family to Mississippi within the next year or so. My mom is getting older and I would like to be closer. We are a family of 5. My kids are 13, 9, and 6, so school quality is important. Moving from a blue state to a red state, I know there will be a bit of a culture shock, but probably not much as my wife and I raise our kids with pretty traditional values.

Would prefer to stay in the southern half of the state. Pretty stoked to see how much farther my dollar goes with regard to real estate.
Mandeville, Louisiana

BUT, if it has to be Mississippi I would say Ocean Springs or Gluckstadt.

Gulfport has come a long way since Katrina too, but I don't know about the schools. The Pass is nice, but there's not much to do there.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
If your mom is in Laurel, Hattiesburg is likely your best shot. I’ve got a good bit of family in Hattiesburg and all over the coast. Biloxi and Gulfport schools aren’t as good as they were. The coast has a lot more to do, but you can also get into a lot more trouble down there. The coast is like 2 hours from Laurel. That’s a long drive to get to her.

Hattiesburg is a good place to live and is a good bit closer to Laurel than the coast. I’ll defer to others on what the best school districts are down there.

Reactions: bellbottom

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
If I ever moved back to Mississippi it would be the coast. I grew up coast trash and still miss it even though I haven’t lived there in almost 40 years.

Reactions: uptowndawg

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Just moved to Rankin County and really liking it so far. Commute to Madison/Ridgeland for work every day and it’s only a 20/30 minute trek. Plenty of nice houses that seem more affordable than most areas you’ll find.

I grew up in Laurel and if I were to ever move back that way it would be to Petal or Oak Grove. Laurel has gotten a ton of hype the last few years largely in part to the HGTV show and it has improved for sure. I don’t think the Jones County schools are great, though. They’re not bad, but definitely some better districts not terribly far away.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
There’s a few nice subdivisions popping up in pearl river county. A few on community lakes. That would put you about an hour from New Orleans, an hour from the coast, and 1.5 hours from laurel.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Just moved to Rankin County and really liking it so far. Commute to Madison/Ridgeland for work every day and it’s only a 20/30 minute trek. Plenty of nice houses that seem more affordable than most areas you’ll find.

I grew up in Laurel and if I were to ever move back that way it would be to Petal or Oak Grove. Laurel has gotten a ton of hype the last few years largely in part to the HGTV show and it has improved for sure. I don’t think the Jones County schools are great, though. They’re not bad, but definitely some better districts not terribly far away.
Agree on Jones County schools. They’re not bad. But they should be better than they are.

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014

Based off of your transition from blue to red state the least culture shock you would experience would be maybe moving to Ocean Springs.

other places within reach of laurel with minor travel could be Vestavia Hills/Homewood area around Birmingham. A little further is Huntsville but may fit the vibe you’re looking for.

Reactions: The Fatboy

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Agree on Jones County schools. They’re not bad. But they should be better than they are.
Me and my brothers went to Jones County schools and I had JCSD teachers in my family for decades. There are some legitimately awesome teachers and kids in those schools, but also some nepotism hires and too much regurgitation of the same people (Jones County people don’t like to leave Jones County, I have found. That’s not always a good thing).

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Mandeville, Louisiana

BUT, if it has to be Mississippi I would say Ocean Springs or Gluckstadt.

Gulfport has come a long way since Katrina too, but I don't know about the schools. The Pass is nice, but there's not much to do there.
Yeah, sleepy safe area vs nightlife is a pretty clear distinction for most of these areas.

If you're the type to want to put the fam in a golf cart and do stuff around a lot of other people (most of whom are drinking), then look Bay St Louis. It's more expensive than just a bit north though. Otherwise, Gulfport or Ocean Springs will have more to do, Pass Christian, Diamondhead, etc will be a bit safer.

Gluckstadt will give you a more typical suburban life. The coast is a weird mishmash of areas. As far as raising a family, the outer areas down here have a serious meth and such problem going on. Worse in Pearl River, Picayune, and west or north of there. I don't know about Gluckstadt.

I've been looking for a 4 or 5 BR around here for at least a year. Not many options, without wildly overpaying.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
The coast is a weird mishmash of areas. As far as raising a family, the outer areas down here have a serious meth and such problem going on. Worse in Pearl River, Picayune, and west or north of there.
^^^^Boom Boom may know some or both sides of my family down there.

I grew up (early years) on the Coast (Gulfport) with all my family before moving to Jackson (the REAL New Jack City and in its city limits, too) for most of my formative years. I wouldn't touch the coast in any way, shape or form. It has areas of charm, no doubt, but it's only gotten overall worse since late August of 2005 (and really started 15 years before that). Central Mississippi or the Greater Hattiesburg area would be your best bets. And you're close enough to easily go down to the coast when you want for an easy day trip or weekend excursion . . . but you thankfully don't have to live or raise kids there.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Don’t care what Goat says, stop at the state line and turn around. MS sucks and the “leadership” doesn’t give a damn about Joe citizen. They only care what puts $$ in theirs and their buddies pockets.

can’t wait to get out.

May 20, 2023
Cross Oak Grove and Hattiesburg proper off of your list in the H’burg area. I live in Bellevue (just past oak grove on 98) and most people here are anxious about H’burg encroaching on us. Petal seems to be thriving and growing a good bit, but I rarely go to Petal so I can’t give much detail. Along with Petal, you might need to look at Sumrall if looking in the H’burg area. Sumrall is where everyone is fleeing too, but it is still pretty early in the process and is still a “small town”.
I don’t feel “unsafe” in Hattiesburg but crazy **** does happen here and you never know when you will end up in the middle of crazy **** happening. H’burg is in the early early stages of turning into Jackson.

I hear a lot of people singing the praises of the Coast, mostly Ocean Spring and Bay St. Louis and those little hamlets are nice but the coast overall has always had a “trashiness“ to it. I blame it on the Louisiana influence down there. Also, hurricanes are a thing. I look at the coast as a place to visit, not live.

I spent my H.S. years in Picayune (pre Katrina) and what a ******** that was. Huge upgrade moving to H’burg. I’ve worked in Covington county and you couldn’t pay me enough to live in that area.

I’m another that can’t wait to leave MS if the stars align for me. I’m here b/c of family concerns.

Last edited:

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
I work across the State. I live in the north part of the State, but Hattiesburg is a great place.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
^^^^Boom Boom may know some or both sides of my family down there.

I grew up (early years) on the Coast (Gulfport) with all my family before moving to Jackson (the REAL New Jack City and in its city limits, too) for most of my formative years. I wouldn't touch the coast in any way, shape or form. It has areas of charm, ano doubt, but it's only gotten overall worse since late August of 2005 (and really started 15 years before that). Central Mississippi or the Greater Hattiesburg area would be your best bets. And you're close enough to easily go down to the coast when you want for an easy day trip or weekend excursion . . . but you thankfully don't have to live or raise kids there.
Ha, me in reverse, grew up within the Jackson city limits, wound up on the Coast after college.

The coast is pretty good....right now. But I can tell those problem areas in the sticks are way worse than they've ever been, it's not just a few it's widespread, and I just don't know how that plays out over the next few decades.

I don't know if I would say central MS is any better though. Hattiesburg has its downsides too, but I guess Columbia may have that suburb life without the methheads filling out the outskirts like they do down here.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Cross Oak Grove and Hattiesburg proper off of your list in the H’burg area. I live in Bellevue (just past oak grove on 98) and most people here are anxious about H’burg encroaching on us. Petal seems to be thriving and growing a good bit, but I rarely go to Petal so I can’t give much detail. Along with Petal, you might need to look at Sumrall if looking in the H’burg area. Sumrall is where everyone is fleeing too, but it is still pretty early in the process and is still a “small town”.
I don’t feel “unsafe” in Hattiesburg but crazy **** does happen here and you never know when you will end up in the middle of crazy **** happening.

I hear a lot of people singing the praises of the Coast, mostly Ocean Spring and Bay St. Louis but hurricanes have to be factored in.

As another poster alluded to, south MS is a mixed bag. You can be in a nice area and drive 15 miles and be in an armpit contender.
I said once it's like a "typical" city and surrounding areas were put in a blender and then spread out along the coast. There's no typical city center getting progressively more suburban in all directions as you go outward. It's back and forth and back and forth all the way down the coast. Hell, it's not 15 minutes, it's a few blocks.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Don’t care what Goat says, stop at the state line and turn around. MS sucks and the “leadership” doesn’t give a damn about Joe citizen. They only care what puts $$ in theirs and their buddies pockets.

can’t wait to get out.
He didn’t ask whether he should move to MS, he asked about areas within MS.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

I personally think the Coast has more shlt to do than Jackson as well.
Few, if any, private schools can offer the breadth of options you find at schools like Madison Central.

Reactions: patdog

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Based off of your transition from blue to red state the least culture shock you would experience would be maybe moving to Ocean Springs.

other places within reach of laurel with minor travel could be Vestavia Hills/Homewood area around Birmingham. A little further is Huntsville but may fit the vibe you’re looking for.
Damn, Huntsville has to be close to 300 miles from Laurel. That seems like a bit of a stretch on his desire to be "near" there. He could just move to Destin and be closer lol

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
Two years ago I moved to the coast after 40 years in Texas ... it was a bit of an adjustment ...but having been on a school board and looking at the local districts and comparing them to Texas districts ... yes Ocean Springs is good ... but Long Beach is also good academically and actually is a bit ahead in how they are positioned for the changes that are coming in education.

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
Damn, Huntsville has to be close to 300 miles from Laurel. That seems like a bit of a stretch on his desire to be "near" there. He could just move to Destin and be closer lol
It’s 4 hours away. He’s coming from a blue state. The closest blue state is what? Illinois, maybe Georgia in areas, North Carolina, Colorado?? 4 hours is a hell of a lot closer and it’s a easy transition to a more “progressive” city like Huntsville than to Lucedale. I gave my Mississippi suggestion then a few others that are doable for a few hours drive.

Reactions: kramer_192

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
Bham is a haul too. Of course most folks just can’t resist the chance to pump an out of state locale. MSU/6pack cool
2 hours and 45 minutes isnt that bad when opportunities and activities are more abundant in the out of state locale

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
A couple of thoughts.. if you think there is a huge difference in your daily life depending on which color state you live in then you probably should turn off cable news. I travel to a bunch for work.. I can assure you things are rough all over.

2nd… if high quality schools are supremely important to you you’re going to be shockingly disappointed in how similar the cost of living will be compared to wherever you’re coming from.
Not really. If you get into a good public school system you will pay more for your house but the free school more than makes up for it

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
No love for Noxapater here on the board? Y'all are giving piss poor recommendations if It's not at the top of your list.
I lived in Noxapater for 4 years as a kid. Probably the best memories I’ve ever had were made in that little town. Great people and awesome tenders at Woodys. Used to go look at knives and guns at that little hardware store all the time with my brothers.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login