OT: Best places to eat Gulf Shores, AL

KC_Dawg

Jun 30, 2021
Bonus for great seafood joints. Family likes to eat local and avoid chains if possible. We usually vacation in Destin so this is our first time in Gulf Shores since mid 2000s and I know a lot has changed.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
If you want to stay in Gulf Shores, Sea n Suds for gumbo and oysters, if you have kids, Lulu’s just bc they can play in the sand while Momma gets hammered.
Original Oyster is good but not as good as it use to be and will still probably be crowded as hell.
Pink Pony for afternoon frozen drinks. - probably wouldn’t eat there ??
I hear Perch in Gulf Shores is really good but haven’t been.
Tacky Jack’s in OB for breakfast, Doc’s for lunch in OB, oysters and gumbo, Cobalt in OB for dinner or GT’s on the Bay, Fishers at OB Marina, Cosmo’s in OB.
You hit all or some of these and you’ve had a good week at the beach.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
For great steak, drive to Magnolia Springs for Jesse’s. The Gulf is a great atmosphere for lunch. Cobalt is good as MSUDC11 said. I will say something that surprised me. We went to Cobalt for the wife and I and Lulu’s for the daughter. The crab bisque at Lulu’s was actually much better (actual lumps of crab) which surprised me.

PuebloDawg

Sep 29, 2021
Seafood. King Neptune’s. It’s comparably affordable and delicious.

They also employ mentally handicapped folks as busboys which is a huge plus in my book.

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
Big Fish in Orange Beach is Asian but has great seafood options.

Fisherman’s Corner in Perdido is a little drive but great Cajun food.

Cobalt’s Sunday brunch is really good. One of the better Bloody Mary’s I’ve had.

Acme’s chargrilled oysters are usually on point.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
For great steak, drive to Magnolia Springs for Jesse’s. The Gulf is a great atmosphere for lunch. Cobalt is good as MSUDC11 said. I will say something that surprised me. We went to Cobalt for the wife and I and Lulu’s for the daughter. The crab bisque at Lulu’s was actually much better (actual lumps of crab) which surprised me.

Jesses is worth it

Bulldogbilly

Mar 19, 2020
Jesse’s for an upscale place, Tin Top for great food in relaxed atmosphere, Fisherman’s Corner also has great food. Probably my favorite, but a good drive from GS. LuLu’s, Tacky Jacks, Pink Pony, Sea & Suds are all touristy places with average food. Big Fish, Cosmos, and Cobalt in Orange Beach are all great. Doc’s in OB on Canal Road has great lunch. Doc’s on beach sucks. I like Wolf Bay Lodge for its big menu selection, and Mikee’s for fried catfish. Ate at Desmond’s today for lunch, probably won’t go back.

katfsh

May 15, 2014
Most places are calmer at lunch. Acme for chargrilled oysters. Fisherman’s corner at perdido bridge, fishers and the downstairs for lunch. Playa. Cosmos. GTs on the bay. Cricos pizza. Tin top. Jesse’s in magnolia springs is worth the drive, the owner and chef is from vicksburg.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
If you want to stay in Gulf Shores, Sea n Suds for gumbo and oysters, if you have kids, Lulu’s just bc they can play in the sand while Momma gets hammered.
Original Oyster is good but not as good as it use to be and will still probably be crowded as hell.
Pink Pony for afternoon frozen drinks. - probably wouldn’t eat there ??
I hear Perch in Gulf Shores is really good but haven’t been.
Tacky Jack’s in OB for breakfast, Doc’s for lunch in OB, oysters and gumbo, Cobalt in OB for dinner or GT’s on the Bay, Fishers at OB Marina, Cosmo’s in OB.
You hit all or some of these and you’ve had a good week at the beach.
Sea n Suds is awful since covid

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Basically, there's no great place to eat at Gulf Shores. A handful of places that are ok.
Get really drunk and you won't care.

HWY51dog

Jul 24, 2013
Breakfast and lunch The Southern Grind Coffee House at Hotel Indigo. Best crab cakes I had in Orange Beach.

AROB44

Mar 20, 2008

You have to have reservations quite a few days out before you can get in Jessie's.....I'd recommend skipping it.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
very crowded...
Are you just shitting on every one of my recommendations? I’ve been to Tin Top 8 times in the last year, once on a Saturday and the rest on Sunday for lunch and did not have a wait for brunch. The last time was in June and there was a wait by the time we left at 12:15. I’m probably going to be there Saturday. I’ll let you know if I survive.
As far as Jesse’s and reservations, that’s why I like it. Instead of the hour wait time no reservation restaurants up and down 182 and Canal, you can actually be seated within 15 minutes of arrival.

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
Fishers Upstairsand Tin Top are the best two places in the GS/OB area by far. Honorable mention to Voyagers in Perdido Resort as an underrated gem people dont think about because its in the resort.

After that, muddle together this group:
Fishers downstairs - same kitchen but relaxed
Playa - owned by Fishers guy, Bill Briand - Caribbean version of his seafood restaurant. VERY good
Fisherman's Corner in Peridido,FL but its a long ways from GS....
Cosmos - always solid - banana leaf fish of the day
Big Fish - listed above as asian but owned by eastern europeans - fish is always great. service never is....
Villagio at the Wharf - always about a 8/10 and the kids get to see the light/fog show on the hour, every hour

Then to hit the really casual "fish house" vibe, do Wolf Bay.

Lastly, if you do have kids with you. The food isnt killer but your family will have a blast going to The Gulf and just being outside, having drinks and food and playing games.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Jesse's is very good and owned by a guy from Vicksburg.
Jesse’s for an upscale place, Tin Top for great food in relaxed atmosphere, Fisherman’s Corner also has great food. Probably my favorite, but a good drive from GS. LuLu’s, Tacky Jacks, Pink Pony, Sea & Suds are all touristy places with average food. Big Fish, Cosmos, and Cobalt in Orange Beach are all great. Doc’s in OB on Canal Road has great lunch. Doc’s on beach sucks. I like Wolf Bay Lodge for its big menu selection, and Mikee’s for fried catfish. Ate at Desmond’s today for lunch, probably won’t go back.

wdawg44

Jun 4, 2014
Fishers is the best. Or go to Joe Patti's on the way down and eat like a king all trip.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
We went to The Gulf for the first time last Sunday. The food was good but I was amazed by the grass. I don’t see how they maintain it with all of the shade and foot traffic. The waitress said they ship it in every year.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Are you just shitting on every one of my recommendations? I’ve been to Tin Top 8 times in the last year, once on a Saturday and the rest on Sunday for lunch and did not have a wait for brunch. The last time was in June and there was a wait by the time we left at 12:15. I’m probably going to be there Saturday. I’ll let you know if I survive.
As far as Jesse’s and reservations, that’s why I like it. Instead of the hour wait time no reservation restaurants up and down 182 and Canal, you can actually be seated within 15 minutes of arrival.

I think he just does not like restaurants that other people go to. His 2 post are complaining that restaurants are busy

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Basically, there's no great place to eat at Gulf Shores. A handful of places that are ok.
Get really drunk and you won't care.

^^^THIS^^^

If you live in BFE and don't have access to restaurants, then go out and enjoy having some options. I have had really good meals occasionally so there are options out there, although any of my recommendations would be dated. But if you have decent options to eat at at home (or regularly go places where you can eat out), I always tell people to just do whatever is easy, especially if they have kids. Bring ready to cook food with you, order pizza delivered one night, pick up from somewhere near your condo and bring it back, grill out one night, eat sandwiches, whatever. Unless you enjoy having a drink while waiting and people watching and your kids are of an age that you don't have to worry about keeping them in check while you wait, a touristy beach area is typically a terrible place to go out to eat. Anything good is going to be some combination of crowded and/or overpriced. Most of what you get is crowded, over priced, and not good.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
^^^THIS^^^

If you live in BFE and don't have access to restaurants, then go out and enjoy having some options. I have had really good meals occasionally so there are options out there, although any of my recommendations would be dated. But if you have decent options to eat at at home (or regularly go places where you can eat out), I always tell people to just do whatever is easy, especially if they have kids. Bring ready to cook food with you, order pizza delivered one night, pick up from somewhere near your condo and bring it back, grill out one night, eat sandwiches, whatever. Unless you enjoy having a drink while waiting and people watching and your kids are of an age that you don't have to worry about keeping them in check while you wait, a touristy beach area is typically a terrible place to go out to eat. Anything good is going to be some combination of crowded and/or overpriced. Most of what you get is crowded, over priced, and not good.
Agree with both of these posts.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
We went to The Gulf for the first time last Sunday. The food was good but I was amazed by the grass. I don’t see how they maintain it with all of the shade and foot traffic. The waitress said they ship it in every year.
The gulf is good place for drinks. Cool atmosphere.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Nobody ever goes to those places. They're too crowded. **

Actually, I'm like that too. If there's a long wait, I don't care how good the restaurant is. I have found that what I like to do at the beach is go out to eat for lunch and have a light dinner at the condo. No lines, generally cheaper prices, and slightly smaller portions at lunch time. And you get a break from the high overhead sun.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Big daddy's grill used to be good but I haven't been there in a while. Last year probably.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Nobody ever goes to those places. They're too crowded. **

Actually, I'm like that too. If there's a long wait, I don't care how good the restaurant is. I have found that what I like to do at the beach is go out to eat for lunch and have a light dinner at the condo. No lines, generally cheaper prices, and slightly smaller portions at lunch time. And you get a break from the high overhead sun.

I have an 8 and 2 year old. 8 year old is fine but you’re playing with fire taking the 2 year old in a restaurant. As a result, since having kids, we do essentially the same. We are typically packing some sandwiches for lunch to eat on the beach. But for dinner, we will pick up a to go or go pick up some fresh fish to cook at the house we stay at.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Go back up to Bon Secour and buy your own seafood and cook at the condo, house or whatever. Billy's is wholesale and retail or drive up to the boats and buy straight off of the ones coming in.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login