OT: Boston, MA

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
Hey Guys,

The wife and I will be heading to Boston Next week for a long weekend, and was wondering if you could provide some tips for the trip. Things to do, things to avoid, places to eat, etc. We will be taking in a Red Sox game Wednesday night, but other than that don't really have any plans outside of walking the Freedom Trail.

Thanks in Advance.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Excellent choice on the Freedom Trail. Allot some time for that. Near the end you can get a beer at the Bell in Hand Tavern, which is the 4th oldest pub in the USA. Whale watching cruise out of Boston Harbor was fun. The science museum and aquarium downtown are both excellent. Eat at Legal Seafood.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Hey Guys,

The wife and I will be heading to Boston Next week for a long weekend, and was wondering if you could provide some tips for the trip. Things to do, things to avoid, places to eat, etc. We will be taking in a Red Sox game Wednesday night, but other than that don't really have any plans outside of walking the Freedom Trail.

Thanks in Advance.
Rent a car and go out to Lexington and Concord. Lexington Green is one of those places that will send a chill up your spine. Be sure to pay your respects at the spot where Dr. Joseph Warren fell at Bunker Hill. Had he lived he would be right at the top of the list of our Founding Fathers.

Last edited:

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
While you're walking the freedom trail, get a lobster roll hot with butter at Neptune Oyster in North End. You may have to wait, but it will be worth it.

After you're done, you can get a cannoli at Mikes Pastry or Modern Pastry. Both are institutions and have their fans that say they are the best.

Last edited:

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Don’t think it cheesy if I suggest tours of the Revere House and the North Church. You’ll learn something’s about colonial times that you might otherwise miss.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Oh, also, not really many areas to avoid. The subway is nice and super easy to navigate.

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
Looked at getting Green Monster tickets, but they were pretty costly...ended up getting some behind home plate in the second section up from the field for right at $80 each.

Thanks for the tips! this will be a big help while there.

Emma’s Dad

May 5, 2021
Great city. Boston is very easy to get around. In addition to the things mentioned already, I would definitely go to Cambridge (20 min drive from downtown Bosto) and walk the grounds at Harvard. Great restaurants and pubs there. I also love Brookline (my oldest lived there during her medical residency) and it is worth knocking around. Being a beer lover, I’d recommend touring the Sam Adams brewery. Not a top of the list kind of thing but interesting. Lastly, if you have an extra day to kill drive up to Kennebunkport in Maine and eat fresh lobster on the dock with a paper cup of butter to dip it in. Pure satisfaction.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
When we played UMass several years back, me and the wife paid for a tour guide to walk us around the historical sites of the city. It was a really nice way to check out everything.

We also had some sex, so that was cool too. Not with the tour guide, though.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Union Oyster House; lotta history there oldest continuously operating restaurant in the US, I believe. Paul Revere was a customer. http://www.unionoysterhouse.com/ Also, even chains, like Legal Seafood will have better chowder that you can get in anywhere in MS.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
When we played UMass several years back, me and the wife paid for a tour guide to walk us around the historical sites of the city. It was a really nice way to check out everything.

We also had some sex, so that was cool too. Not with the tour guide, though.

oh yeah

Aug 28, 2017
I'd recommend getting a guide for the freedom trail. We tried to do it without one, but turned around and got a guided tour. IT was well worth the money.

BeardoMSU

Jul 9, 2013
Best place for seafood is Belle Isle Seafood, and it's near the airport so you can hit it on your way in or out. Very good and very affordable. It's our go-to anytime we drive to the airport.

In Cambridge there is Mary Chungs (Szechuan: Order the Dun Dun noodles and Peking Ravioli; my favorite restaurant up here), Bean Town Taqueria, and Flour (award winning French bakery).

Lots of good Italian in the North End.

Definitely spend a couple hours at the Boston Commons. Gorgeous park in the middle of downtown. Find Robin Williams' bench and watch the ducks.

Freedom trail is worth walking. You'll see a bunch of the city.

A day trip to Salem is also advised. Really cool littpe town. Eat at The Ugly Mug when you're there.

chefdawg

Aug 23, 2012
Hey Guys,

Thanks in Advance.

Toro for tapas. Great raw bars at Neptune, Ivory Pearl, and Saltie Girl. The best sushi in the U S (bring the wallet) at O Ya. Really good wagyu roast beef sammich and lobster roll at Cusser’s. The 100 layer lasagna at Bar Enza is a must. Trina’s Starlight Lounge for great bar food. Mahaniyum is a sneaky good Asian spot. Faccia Brutta is a favorite new spot.

sethjoh

Oct 11, 2012
The Subway is definitely the way to travel. Super safe and easy. It will take you to most anywhere you wanna go with stops in all the prime places to visit. You can buy a week pass and it will pay for itself. If time permits the trip to Salem is fun. You can catch a ferry ride that will take you to and from Boston to Salem. The Fenway Park tour is worth your time. Boston College and Harvard are easy to get to and nice campuses to go see.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login