OT: Bow Hunters

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I haven't bow hunted since I graduated from State 20 years ago. I had a High Country and took several whitetail at JWStarr with it. But I honestly haven't kept up with the bow hunting world since then.

I'm going to be hunting elk in mature timber mostly. Shot range will likely be 30-50 yards and all will be from the ground. I don't want to spend more than $800 on a complete bow setup not including arrows and broadheads.

What brands does the pack like? Is there anything wrong with PSE, Bear, and Diamond that seem to be readily available in my budget? My current belief is that unlike a high powered rifle, bow hunting has a lot more to do with the setup/fit/tune and the accuracy of the shooter than the bow itself.. within reason of course. Is that fair or do i need to stretch my budget?

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I haven't bow hunted since I graduated from State 20 years ago. I had a High Country and took several whitetail at JWStarr with it. But I honestly haven't kept up with the bow hunting world since then.

I'm going to be hunting elk in mature timber mostly. Shot range will likely be 30-50 yards and all will be from the ground. I don't want to spend more than $800 on a complete bow setup not including arrows and broadheads.

What brands does the pack like? Is there anything wrong with PSE, Bear, and Diamond that seem to be readily available in my budget? My current belief is that unlike a high powered rifle, bow hunting has a lot more to do with the setup/fit/tune and the accuracy of the shooter than the bow itself.. within reason of course. Is that fair or do i need to stretch my budget?
I can sell you my old Bear Whitetail II. You can shoot it, then run to the target and watch the arrow arrive. Easy to see if you hit the target, and you can start trailing it right there!

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
I would suggest buying a good used setup now thru February. People are going to be offloading their last years model bows right now for affordable discounted rates

I would recommend shooting Mathews or Hoyt because those are going to be the most popular brands that bow shops work with. Be willing to spend an extra $400 and get a top notch setup. If you decide bow hunting isn't for you, I guarantee you'll be able to sell your bow back within $100 of what you pay for it now. If you go pse etc, that will not be the case.

Reactions: Mud84

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010

I don’t know what they cost, but I’ve been told PSE has really improved recently. They are cheaper than Mathew’s.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
I don’t know what they cost, but I’ve been told PSE has really improved recently. They are cheaper than Mathew’s.
They definitely are making a major marketing push. I can't speak for the improvements because it's been awhile since I've shot one if they're newer bows.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Matthews this, PSE that, keep sleeping on this bad boy!
1672957711738.png

ETA: It took a full grown man to pull this back and no let off at all. You pull, you better be ready to sight and shoot. I can still see the arrow dribbling off the rest, back end kicking up about 8 inches before it straightened out and dropped like a dove full of lead, deer staring unconcerned like it knew it could out maneuver whatever I was slinging its way.

Last edited:

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Go to your closest archery shop and buy a used setup. Many bowhunters think they have to get a new bow every 3 years and trade in perfectly good bows just to get 6 more fps with a newer model.

Don't get shamed into pulling back 70+ lbs. 60 lbs will easily kill anything around here. The easier your rig is to use, the more accurate you will be.

With that being said, I like Hoyt. IMO, they are the bang bang for your buck. The can be a little more finicky to setup than PSE or Mathews, but they are light, smooth, and moderately priced.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
You’ll be able to find a great setup if you shop around. Essentially all the top bow manufacturers make great bows. You know Mathews and Hoyt are very popular. Elite is an excellent manufacturer and Bear produces some fine bows too. I have a Bear Agenda 6 that’s a few years old that’s a great bow.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I would suggest buying a good used setup now thru February. People are going to be offloading their last years model bows right now for affordable discounted rates

I would recommend shooting Mathews or Hoyt because those are going to be the most popular brands that bow shops work with. Be willing to spend an extra $400 and get a top notch setup. If you decide bow hunting isn't for you, I guarantee you'll be able to sell your bow back within $100 of what you pay for it now. If you go pse etc, that will not be the case.

I appreciate the rec, but honestly,I hate buying used chit. I always have bad luck and don't know enough about bows these days to make sure I am getting what I need. I would probably get it just wring enough to 17 myself a little.

I think where I am is i will give Bear, Diamond and PSE a fair shake. Will also try Mathews and Hoyt. If the expensive bow gives me a considerably better performance, I may expand the budget for one.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
They definitely are making a major marketing push. I can't speak for the improvements because it's been awhile since I've shot one if they're newer bows.
My buddy that owns a bow shop tells me he is really impressed with them. I don’t remember all the reasons why but he hasn’t liked them in the past, but does now. He also sells Mathew’s and Hoyt.

WestDawg

Aug 24, 2012
My best advice is two fold:
1- go to a few real bow shops and talk to them, put your hands on and shoot as many as you can. Find one that fits you, adjust your draw weight to get maximum results with the least poundage you feel comfortable with and shoot from now until you go
2- go join a gym and hit the stair climber and elliptical machines like your life depends on it….because it literally does. That altitude change and steep terrain is no joke. It doesn’t matter how much you prep for it, it will still hit even the most seasoned elk hunters at times during each day of the hunt

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Don't get shamed into pulling back 70+ lbs. 60 lbs will easily kill anything around here. The easier your rig is to use, the more accurate you will be.

I will probably stick to 70# tbh. Bull elk weigh 700lbs+ and I will be shooting 450is grains arrows/broadheads. Really need the extra umph in my scenario.

grinningmule

Jul 15, 2021
Go to an archery shop and buy the one that feels the most comfortable within your budget..usually last year's models or even 2 yrs ago models can be found at close to half price. Get one with a solid backwall and a letoff that allows you to hold it drawn with minimum strain.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Go to an archery shop and buy the one that feels the most comfortable within your budget..usually last year's models or even 2 yrs ago models can be found at close to half price. Get one with a solid backwall and a letoff that allows you to hold it drawn with minimum strain.

Had to look up backwall. That is actually good advice on something to look for... I could see having a little slack at the end of the draw being problematic. Not something that would have been on my radar at this point.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I will probably stick to 70# tbh. Bull elk weigh 700lbs+ and I will be shooting 450is grains arrows/broadheads. Really need the extra umph in my scenario.
I’ve seen more than most killed with 60lbs and a 100 gr 3 blade muzzy. With todays modern bows, you can still send that setup 250 fps and have plenty of kinetic energy to punch through an elk…no matter what the salesman at the bow shop says.
Rule of thumb, if you can’t easily draw your bow sitting down with both feet planted in the ground, you’re pulling too much poundage. I know guys that pull 90+ lbs and they are no better hunter or archers.
Focus on having an easy to execute setup. KISS theory. Whisker biscuit and a simple 3 pin sight. Master that and you will be deadly.

Last edited:
Reactions: T-TownDawgg

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
You are absolutely 100 percent correct. Elk are not only big animals, they are also super tough. Got to be able to shoot accurately and have enough power to get deep penetration. I have seen them suck up a well placed bullet from a 300wm more than once and run off like they were untouched. Bow hunting elk during the rut is just about the ultimate hunting opportunity in my opinion. Just don’t plan on grabbing him by a horn and dragging him to the truck!!!!!!

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
buy a used matthews or hoyt after this spring....i personally use a mathews and bought my 12yo a hoyt this year.....i now wish i had a hoyt....they are legit....best brand of bow on the market....you can get a used setup for that amount and you will be extremely happy

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Used archery equipment is cheap but you've got to be experienced to take advantage of it. Go to a bow shop and get fitted for a bow. The cheapest bow in the store that is properly set up for you will shoot better and you'll be a better hunter than if you go online and buy the most expensive bow you can find because it's probably not going to fit you.

Moondawgg

Sep 30, 2022
I think you mean maximum strain
College Football Reaction GIF by SEC Network

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
You are absolutely 100 percent correct. Elk are not only big animals, they are also super tough. Got to be able to shoot accurately and have enough power to get deep penetration. I have seen them suck up a well placed bullet from a 300wm more than once and run off like they were untouched. Bow hunting elk during the rut is just about the ultimate hunting opportunity in my opinion. Just don’t plan on grabbing him by a horn and dragging him to the truck!!!!!!

I went with a buddy this season a few times in September and definitely got the bug. We didn't get within 200 yards if a bull, but we were in them for sure. I was just helping him call and it's crazy how easy it is to get them to talking. Getting within now distance is a completely different challenge.

Going all in this year though. I'm very lucky in that I can be up in the unit to we hunt in about 30 minutes. Our archery season is from September 1 to October 10 and we still have daylight until 7:45 at the end of September. Figure I can leave the house by 4:00 and get a few hours in every evening during the week.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I went with a buddy this season a few times in September and definitely got the bug. We didn't get within 200 yards if a bull, but we were in them for sure. I was just helping him call and it's crazy how easy it is to get them to talking. Getting within now distance is a completely different challenge.

Going all in this year though. I'm very lucky in that I can be up in the unit to we hunt in about 30 minutes. Our archery season is from September 1 to October 10 and we still have daylight until 7:45 at the end of September. Figure I can leave the house by 4:00 and get a few hours in every evening during the week.
Very jealous. The arrow builds for elk hunting are completely different than deer. You may already be familiar with it, but you can totally nerd out on it. Skinny but heavy arrows for penetration are the latest trend. I think the arrow manufacturers come up with it so people buy new arrows.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
I bought a year-old, mint condition Bowtech Realm 4 years ago and I love it. Like many said, you can find a barely shot model from last year pretty easily at a local shop. Find your maximum draw weight then drop 5 or 7 lbs off of it so you’re comfortable.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
I shoot a Diamond. It fits me well. I have it perfectly tuned and my arrow set up shoots identical with broadheads and field points. I agree with you that much more of the issue is the shooter than the bow within reason. I think you have plenty budgeted to get a good bow.

My advice, especially since you’re getting back into it:

1. Go back to the basics on shooting form. Watch videos on YouTube and read a lot. We didn’t have access to all this information so easily 20 years ago. You’ll be shocked how little you probably knew about shooting form. Chris Bee, Nockonarchery, and Levi Morgan on YouTube are my go to for this. Grip, draw, hip hinge, back wall, type of release, letting the pin float, face/string placement, etc. It’s amazing how much there is to know and how much more confident you’ll be once you practice some of this.

2. Practice a shot progression that is very easily repeatable, especially when your heart rate is jumping as a bull walks in.

3. Tune your bow and maintain that tune as best you can. I am constantly tinkering with mine. I make sure everything it tightened down at least every other time I practice. It takes only a couple of minutes to check the screws, inspect the string, etc.

4. Lastly, shoot your broadheads A LOT. You can sharpen them the week before the hunt and then freshen up that edge if you shoot them some in season. I can’t stress enough how important it is to shoot broadheads. I’ve known guys who will shoot them just a few times and go back to field points except when they are actually shooting at an animal. There are too many variables in a bow that can cause arrow flight to change. You don’t want to do all that work on the mountain just to miss an animal, or worse wound an animal.

macpappy

Aug 8, 2010
Bought my son a Matthews Hammer for Christmas. He is only 9 and pulling back about 33 lbs but this bow amazes me. I have him dialed in at 10 and 20 yards and Im telling you this thing would kill a deer right now with only 33 lbs its lightning fast. I told him we were gonna wait til next bow season to shoot "at" his 1st deer but I can't wait to be sitting in the tree on that 1st one with him! With that being said I am sold on Matthews bows and while I was shopping at B and B for his I got to look at the vx 29 and 33. I've been shooting the same old Matthews for 12 years and don't plan on changing until this bow string wears out bc I have yet to miss or let a deer get away with this bow(granted only kill 1 or 2 a year with it and limit my shots to be within 25 yards), but when I get a new one it will be a Matthews.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018

I do love me some elk hunting. Did another horseback hunt in Wyoming this year and got a 330” 6x7 but that was my last horseback hunt. Next time my horse will have to be named Honda or Polaris. I worked out hard for 8 months trying to get ready and it still about killed me. Great hunt but riding those big horses up high is for young guys. Makes me sick to realize that I just can’t do it anymore, but that is reality. I have attached some photos for those that enjoy stuff like this.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Oh well, photos don’t seem to be attached. Not sure what I did wrong….. turns out files were too large. I guess that is because the horns were so big.

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I do love me some elk hunting. Did another horseback hunt in Wyoming this year and got a 330” 6x7 but that was my last horseback hunt. Next time my horse will have to be named Honda or Polaris. I worked out hard for 8 months trying to get ready and it still about killed me. Great hunt but riding those big horses up high is for young guys. Makes me sick to realize that I just can’t do it anymore, but that is reality. I have attached some photos for those that enjoy stuff like this.

Luckily I live here and we ski/shovel snow all winter and hike all summer at the same elevation we hunt elk. My elk zone/unit is in timber at elevation between 6-8000' mostly. Not too hard on foot since I am accustomed to it.

We are putting in for controlled mule deer hunts next year in Hells Canyon/Seven Devil's area which is open country with crazy terrain. 6-7000' of elevation change in a matter of miles over there. That's going to be some work.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Enjoy it while you are young enough to do it. My mind says I can, but my body says I can’t. Age is 68. First day an 18 mile ride into camp. Really rough country. Camp is above 8,000 feet. Second day, on my horse 2 hours before daylight. Got on a herd bull and his cows right after daylight. Killed him at 10,000 feet. Rode a total of about 15 miles on day 2. Rested up for 2 days while my companions killed their elk. Rode out those same 18 miles on day 5. That was late September. It is now early January and I still have stuff that hurts every day from that trip. It’s not like riding horses around Mississippi where everything is pretty flat. It’s all either straight up or straight down. I live for stuff like this but for those that have never done it, don’t under estimate just how physically demanding it is. Brutal is the first word that comes to mind. Also, not much oxygen at 10,000 feet. Poo, enjoy life in Idaho. If I had it to do over again, I would have moved West 40 years ago and never looked back.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Enjoy it while you are young enough to do it. My mind says I can, but my body says I can’t. Age is 68. First day an 18 mile ride into camp. Really rough country. Camp is above 8,000 feet. Second day, on my horse 2 hours before daylight. Got on a herd bull and his cows right after daylight. Killed him at 10,000 feet. Rode a total of about 15 miles on day 2. Rested up for 2 days while my companions killed their elk. Rode out those same 18 miles on day 5. That was late September. It is now early January and I still have stuff that hurts every day from that trip. It’s not like riding horses around Mississippi where everything is pretty flat. It’s all either straight up or straight down. I live for stuff like this but for those that have never done it, don’t under estimate just how physically demanding it is. Brutal is the first word that comes to mind. Also, not much oxygen at 10,000 feet. Poo, enjoy life in Idaho. If I had it to do over again, I would have moved West 40 years ago and never looked back.

Good on you for knocking that out at age 68. I'll be lucky to get out of the recliner at that age.

I figure I have 10-12 "easy" years left out here. By my early 50's my boys will both be late teens or early 20's and I will let them carry everything but my gun and trekking poles.

Below is a link to a trip my hunting buddy and I are already planning for... Hopefully in 2024, but definitely by 2025 we are wanting to do this annually with our two oldest boys until the little ones can join us.

+/- 40 miles due east of us is the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness. Completely undeveloped other than a couple of remote cabins and some airstrips. No roads whatsoever. 2.4 million acres of undistributed backcountry only accessible by foot, plane, or raft. It's easy to get tags, but extremely hard to access.

We plan on flying in during the muley rut and rafting, fishing, and hunting our way down the river for a week a few miles a day and flying back out of a different airport.

I took my oldest and two nephews rafting there this summer for 3 days and 2 nights and it is definitely doable in the low water of November. The muleys back there are legendary. My window is short (10-12 years max) before this kind of hunt becomes too difficult, but I plan to do as much of it as possible.

Hunting The Frank

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Poo, I have actually seen that video before. I am way too long in the tooth to take on “The Frank” but envy you for being able to do it. Embrace it. Love every minute of it. Do it every chance you get. What a magnificent place. I have only spent limited time in Idaho. Elmer Keith lived a large portion of his life around Salmon so I had to go there at least once. His book “ Hell I was there” is a must read for the true outdoors man. Did a drive about 5 years ago on hwy 93 and 28 from Missoula down through Hamilton, Darby ( home of the Yellowstone tv show ranch ), Salmon, and ended up in Twin Falls for a couple of nights. Nice town. A couple of other brief trips to Idaho and that’s it. It’s on the list to explore and I am going to look you up whenever we make that trip. The Rocky Mountains are a powerful thing and once they touch your soul, there is no escape. I tried to talk my wife into moving to Wyoming when we retired but she said no way. Kids and grandkids are here so that was the end of that. I was born and raised here in Mississippi. Lived here all of my life. However, every time I cross the Wyoming border I feel like I am at home. When I leave headed back toward Mississippi, I just feel empty. I have had a good life here but look at the difference. Hunting here means walking for a few minutes and crawling up in a deer stand. Deer, turkey, bobcat, coyote, fox, and some small critters is about it. Last fall in the Teton Wilderness we saw antelope, mule deer, elk, moose, black bear, grizzly bear, Buffalo, a wolf and an eagle. Rode big draft horses in places few people have ever seen. Up in the alpine county. Places that were hunted by the likes of Jack O’Conner and Teddy Rosevelt. Slept in tents with bear spray and a 300 win mag to deal with the grizzly at night. I never felt more Alive. That’s as good as it gets. Great people live in the Rockies. Honest, hard working people with good values. Hard to find a bass or catfish, but standing in a clear mountain stream with a fly rod in hand is the purest form of fishing that there is anywhere. Cody Wyoming is a great town in my opinion. 9,000 people and 14 gun shops. That’s my kind of place. Jeremiah Johnson is buried just outside of Cody. I visited his grave site a couple of years ago, and I know it’s just a movie loosely based on his life, but as I stood there paying my respects to a man I never met, I was humbled to be there. Colorado is beautiful but a lot of it is a little to yuppy for my taste. I did hunt there a couple of times and we had good trips however it just didn’t have a real wilderness feel to it. I have covered almost all of Wyoming and Montana. Great places other than parts of Montana are being invaded by people moving there from California. I guess I am rambling again forgive me for that but it seems that the Rockies is the last refuge left in our County. If you go any further West you get California, Washington, and Oregon. I have traveled all 3 on business. Not no, but hell no. East of the Rockies you get too many people and all of the current drama that goes along with it. If you look at the changes we have seen in the Southeast over the last 30 years, you have to be more than a little concerned about the long term future. Poo, you are a wise man to be raising your family in the Rockies and I salute you. I apologize to to all of the readers for my rambling post but I do love talking about my favorite part of the Country and all of the wild places and critters that call it home.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Poo, I have actually seen that video before. I am way too long in the tooth to take on “The Frank” but envy you for being able to do it. Embrace it. Love every minute of it. Do it every chance you get. What a magnificent place. I have only spent limited time in Idaho. Elmer Keith lived a large portion of his life around Salmon so I had to go there at least once. His book “ Hell I was there” is a must read for the true outdoors man. Did a drive about 5 years ago on hwy 93 and 28 from Missoula down through Hamilton, Darby ( home of the Yellowstone tv show ranch ), Salmon, and ended up in Twin Falls for a couple of nights. Nice town. A couple of other brief trips to Idaho and that’s it. It’s on the list to explore and I am going to look you up whenever we make that trip. The Rocky Mountains are a powerful thing and once they touch your soul, there is no escape. I tried to talk my wife into moving to Wyoming when we retired but she said no way. Kids and grandkids are here so that was the end of that. I was born and raised here in Mississippi. Lived here all of my life. However, every time I cross the Wyoming border I feel like I am at home. When I leave headed back toward Mississippi, I just feel empty. I have had a good life here but look at the difference. Hunting here means walking for a few minutes and crawling up in a deer stand. Deer, turkey, bobcat, coyote, fox, and some small critters is about it. Last fall in the Teton Wilderness we saw antelope, mule deer, elk, moose, black bear, grizzly bear, Buffalo, a wolf and an eagle. Rode big draft horses in places few people have ever seen. Up in the alpine county. Places that were hunted by the likes of Jack O’Conner and Teddy Rosevelt. Slept in tents with bear spray and a 300 win mag to deal with the grizzly at night. I never felt more Alive. That’s as good as it gets. Great people live in the Rockies. Honest, hard working people with good values. Hard to find a bass or catfish, but standing in a clear mountain stream with a fly rod in hand is the purest form of fishing that there is anywhere. Cody Wyoming is a great town in my opinion. 9,000 people and 14 gun shops. That’s my kind of place. Jeremiah Johnson is buried just outside of Cody. I visited his grave site a couple of years ago, and I know it’s just a movie loosely based on his life, but as I stood there paying my respects to a man I never met, I was humbled to be there. Colorado is beautiful but a lot of it is a little to yuppy for my taste. I did hunt there a couple of times and we had good trips however it just didn’t have a real wilderness feel to it. I have covered almost all of Wyoming and Montana. Great places other than parts of Montana are being invaded by people moving there from California. I guess I am rambling again forgive me for that but it seems that the Rockies is the last refuge left in our County. If you go any further West you get California, Washington, and Oregon. I have traveled all 3 on business. Not no, but hell no. East of the Rockies you get too many people and all of the current drama that goes along with it. If you look at the changes we have seen in the Southeast over the last 30 years, you have to be more than a little concerned about the long term future. Poo, you are a wise man to be raising your family in the Rockies and I salute you. I apologize to to all of the readers for my rambling post but I do love talking about my favorite part of the Country and all of the wild places and critters that call it home.
I think you should just adopt me. Then you'll have 2 more grandkids and more excuses to come out here.*** Great stories Pilgrim

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

Bowdawg

Jan 8, 2023
Lots of good info. Best thing I can tell you is what some others have already said. Go to multiple bow shops and get your hands on as many as possible. Shopping bows by brand is only good if the bow fits you. You need to understand what works best for you. Length of bow, Ibo speed,
brace height, grip type, release type, back wall etc all affect how a bow will react out of your hand. I have owned just about every brand in the market over past 25yrs. Have bow hunted deer, elk, brown and black bear, moose, rams and most other big game in US as well as New Zealand. I can tell you can go down a deep rabbit hole on all the bow talk out there. I will talk arrows and broadheads all day as I love learning and testing the “newest trends” to see if they are actually accurate or not. I currently own 3 bowtecs with the newest being the new carbon one I picked up in November. I like the advancements they have made with adjustability and their ghost grips fit my wrist well. My very good friend is on prostaff with them and provides me with the newest bow every year to try out. I’m very fortunate to have gotten to hunt with a lot of reps for prime, Matthew’s, bear, and Hoyt as well. If I can help you In Anyway just feel free to ask or reach out to me. I love helping anyone getting into bow hunting and am an open book. Get out there and aim small!!

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
If I can help you In Anyway just feel free to ask or reach out to me. I love helping anyone getting into bow hunting and am an open book. Get out there and aim small!!
May take you up on this if I get stuck along the process. Oh yeah… username checks out.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I was one of the few kids growing up in Greenwood in the 70's who didn't hunt because my Dad had a bad emotional experience while hunting when I was just a toddler. He taught me and my younger brother how to shoot on a regular basis though ( along with gun safety ) and he still took me on dove hunting expeditions and taught me how to clean doves before we grilled them when I was just a kid. I'm 60 now and one of my bucket list items is to shoot a deer and have someone show me how to butcher and harvest the meat then I can show off my grilling skills. I've eaten deer only 4 times and 2 times it tasted like good rib eye but the other 2 times it tasted like schit.

Last edited:

Bowdawg

Jan 8, 2023
I was one of the few kids growing up in Greenwood in the 70's who didn't hunt because my Dad had a bad emotional experience while hunting when I was just a toddler. He taught me and my younger brother how to shoot on a regular basis though ( along with gun safety ) and he still took me on dove hunting expeditions and taught me how to clean doves before we grilled them when I was just a kid. I'm 60 now and one of my bucke list items is to shoot a deer and have someone show me how to butcher and harvest the meat then I can show off my grilling skills. I've eaten deer only 4 times and 2 times it tasted like good rib eye but the other 2 times it tasted like schit.
I would be more than willing to take you deer hunting next year. I currently live in the Ohio but will be relocating South to Louisiana this summer. I have land around West Point and could coordinate something for you with maybe a football game weekend. Love getting people their first deer. Makes me happier than if I get one!! Just let me know.

• Love
Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I would be more than willing to take you deer hunting next year. I currently live in the Ohio but will be relocating South to Louisiana this summer. I have land around West Point and could coordinate something for you with maybe a football game weekend. Love getting people their first deer. Makes me happier than if I get one!! Just let me know.
Thank You Bowdawg. I live in Fort Worth but have lots of my Greenwood friends on FB who are deer hunters as well. Even if I didn't get one, I'd still like to have someone show me how to harvest the meat and I'd love to cook some. Would love the thrill of tagging one with a rifle, I admit. I need to experience this before I die.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login