OT: Buc-ee's Brisket

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Poor service out where I am today and couldn't reply to other thread. Woozman is not wrong about Buc-ee's brisket being overrated, at least if you have had the opportunity to eat good brisket before... Which a lot of parts of the country haven't... Trust me, 3 years ago I wouldn't have dreamed of getting BBQ at Buc-ee's, yet today I would kill for it.

Buc-ee's isn't even the best gas station BBQ chain in Texas, that distinction belongs to Rudy's who cooks their brisket in house on wood fired Oyler pits. If you drive buy Rudy', they have a steady stream of smoke billowing out. You won't see that at Buc-ee's.

Buc-ee's buys precooked brisket from Sadler's outside of Lufkin and ships it to their stores where it's reheated... You can now buy the same stuff at Wal-Mart and cook it in your microwave or oven.

https://www.walmart.com/search?q=sadler%27s+smokehouse&facet=brand%3ASadler%27s+Smokehouse&irgwc=1&sourceid=imp_zcWUsizoFxyLWMgwUx0Mo36vUkD1Sp0Z2UFnww0&veh=aff&wmlspartner=imp_78091&clickid=zcWUsizoFxyLWMgwUx0Mo36vUkD1Sp0Z2UFnww0&sharedid=&affiliates_ad_id=565706&campaign_id=9383

So let's try to qualify the Buc-ee's brisket love with good gas station BBQ or something, cause it ain't very good. I figured good brisket was available all over the south by now, but maybe not.

Buc-ee's is fine at food. They have okay tacos and kolaches and only one of two boudin klobasniks I have found, but it's nowhere near as good as may of the original places. Best thing I have had there was a cheesesteak burrito.

I have probably frequented 15-20 different Buc-ee's.There are a handful of Buc-ee's down in the Houston are that are the size of 7-11. One in Pearland has to be the smallest in the country. Neat gas stations, with a lot of interesting grub. But if you think the BBQ is good, lets get you down to Texas in November for the Texas Monthly BBQ Fest. You might have a foodgasm before you even swallow your first bite.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Give me Woody's on I-45 over Buc-ee's and Rudy's all day. Good bathrooms and better brisket.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Jesus christ. Y'all sound like the guy saying the steak at Wesslin' Sizzlin' ain't as good as the steak at Peter Luger's.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Rudy's moist cut brisket in Austin is as good as I've had anywhere and it is made onsite at each location. Buccee's is not cooked there locally at each station, as mentioned above.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Poor service out where I am today and couldn't reply to other thread. Woozman is not wrong about Buc-ee's brisket being overrated, at least if you have had the opportunity to eat good brisket before... Which a lot of parts of the country haven't... Trust me, 3 years ago I wouldn't have dreamed of getting BBQ at Buc-ee's, yet today I would kill for it.

Buc-ee's isn't even the best gas station BBQ chain in Texas, that distinction belongs to Rudy's who cooks their brisket in house on wood fired Oyler pits. If you drive buy Rudy', they have a steady stream of smoke billowing out. You won't see that at Buc-ee's.

Buc-ee's buys precooked brisket from Sadler's outside of Lufkin and ships it to their stores where it's reheated... You can now buy the same stuff at Wal-Mart and cook it in your microwave or oven.

https://www.walmart.com/search?q=sa...did=&affiliates_ad_id=565706&campaign_id=9383

So let's try to qualify the Buc-ee's brisket love with good gas station BBQ or something, cause it ain't very good. I figured good brisket was available all over the south by now, but maybe not.

Buc-ee's is fine at food. They have okay tacos and kolaches and only one of two boudin klobasniks I have found, but it's nowhere near as good as may of the original places. Best thing I have had there was a cheesesteak burrito.

I have probably frequented 15-20 different Buc-ee's.There are a handful of Buc-ee's down in the Houston are that are the size of 7-11. One in Pearland has to be the smallest in the country. Neat gas stations, with a lot of interesting grub. But if you think the BBQ is good, lets get you down to Texas in November for the Texas Monthly BBQ Fest. You might have a foodgasm before you even swallow your first bite.

It's a 7 dollar sammich that you can grab from a gas station after taking a monster duece in the pristine bathroom. It's fast, convenient, tastes pretty damn good and is a better alternative than stopping for **** at a Burger King or McDonald's drive thru. Is someone arguing that it is anything different than that?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Dude it is gas station BBQ produced on a massive scale, not Don Shula's Steakhouse. It's not intended to be 5 star, more like 2 star, don't over think it.

Last edited:

forestdepth

Feb 20, 2018
JoeLee’sSocks is a treasure. Imagining him sitting at work taking the time to trash on Bucees. Let’s celebrate this man.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
I always grab a huge drink before I go in and take a ****. Go refill it after I finish. No, I don't take it in there, you nasty bastards. Walk around the place watching Aunt Mae buy herself some funny redneck saying on a board and some beaver nuggets for Uncle Bob who has diabetes. Then go take a piss and refill my drink and hit the road.

Dawgtruc

Sep 8, 2018
The best brisket I've ever eaten. (Best Texas BBQ period) is a Snow's in Lexington TX, about 30 min east of Austin.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
Rudy’s is really really good. Pulled pork is great. Their spicy chopped beef sandwich is excellent. And they sell the absolute best potato salad you can buy anywhere on the planet.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Brisket hijack: Bain BBQ in Memphis

I recommend the Memphis area folks check it out. It's Texas style. They do a pretty solid brisket (which means it's outstanding for Memphis bc brisket is garbage here) as well as have a bakery and do the Czech traditional style kolaches as well as Texas style kolaches. Haven't tried their baked stuff yet but I intend to soon.

It's in Cooper Young at the old Stone Soup building.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I always grab a huge drink before I go in and take a ****. Go refill it after I finish. No, I don't take it in there, you nasty bastards. Walk around the place watching Aunt Mae buy herself some funny redneck saying on a board and some beaver nuggets for Uncle Bob who has diabetes. Then go take a piss and refill my drink and hit the road.

I actually took three pisses on my last stop (Wednesday) at the location in Leeds Alabama. We got there with about 15 minutes left serving breakfast so we had to wait for that and then about 15 more minutes waiting on our order. The old lady held my drink while I was pissing.

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
Rudy's moist cut brisket in Austin is as good as I've had anywhere and it is made onsite at each location. Buccee's is not cooked there locally at each station, as mentioned above.

Rudy's Turkey is the best I've ever had..

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Wolf river brisket also does a good job when it comes to brisket in Memphis

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
It's a 7 dollar sammich that you can grab from a gas station after taking a monster duece in the pristine bathroom. It's fast, convenient, tastes pretty damn good and is a better alternative than stopping for **** at a Burger King or McDonald's drive thru. Is someone arguing that it is anything different than that?

Fair enough. Good gas station food. Bad brisket, but better than McDonald's for sho. That said, looking back, it looks like 360 was taking a **** in coast BBQ, but I read it as Buc-ee's is good... Which I have heard a lot over the years. It should be called a pot roast sammich to avoid confusion.

Taking my lap now, but remember, I know this thing is Aggie founded and owned... So 17 Buc-ee's.

Eta: To Dawgman42... Woody's is tits. All day. Big situp high ones, but still soft.

To ForestDepth... I ain't working. I typed that **** up from a bench in Glacier National Park with the bear spray in my backpack while the kids were out there throwing rocks at a grizzly and picking up ground squirrels (no ****, my 4 year old snagged one when I wasn't paying attention and chunked him 15 feet when it freaked out.)

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
The one out in Collierville is pretty good

Wolf river brisket also does a good job when it comes to brisket in Memphis

I like their side dishes too. The location in Crosstown is terrible. I don't know what's going on there.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Chopping Block Roast Beef (add bacon) for me. Pro tip, if whatever you want is pre-made and waiting, check the kiosk to see if you can get it made fresh.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
I like their side dishes too. The location in Crosstown is terrible. I don't know what's going on there.

I haven’t eaten at the crosstown location. I live five minutes from the original location on wolf river and we eat there quite a bit

HotMop

May 8, 2006
I have a Rudy's a long par 5 from my house, never been though.

Sounds like I'll make a walk over and give it a try. Who am I kidding, walk, I'll have the 14 year old drive me over on the golf cart.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
I recommend the Memphis area folks check it out. It's Texas style. They do a pretty solid brisket (which means it's outstanding for Memphis bc brisket is garbage here) as well as have a bakery and do the Czech traditional style kolaches as well as Texas style kolaches. Haven't tried their baked stuff yet but I intend to soon.

It's in Cooper Young at the old Stone Soup building.

No kidding Bain is legit and they have lone star beer. I hope they keep the burnt ends on the menu.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login