OT- burnt ends

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
Currently trying to smoke a chuck roast to make poor man’s burnt ends. Don’t have a smoker so I’m trying this snake method I saw on tiktok, using my Weber. Will update later with pics.

Till then, y’all ever tried something similar?

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I’ve tried and failed a couple times. I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong, using too cheap a grade of chuck or both, but I’ve yet to figure smoked chuck roast out. It just always comes out tough with chewy fat rather than melt in your mouth goodness

I’ve had much better success with the point of a brisket, but if you get it right, I’d love to hear the magic formula. I’ve just gone back to the crock pot for a chuck roast

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
View attachment 23410

Don’t judge my dirty grates, adds character and flavor (and I can’t seem to find my brush anywhere at the moment.)

I’ve never tried this way of smoking so no telling how it’ll come out.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Weber is fine if you set up coals well.

https://blueshog.com/collections/sauce-pints/products/raspberry-chipotle-bbq-sauce-19-oz
Currently trying to smoke a chuck roast to make poor man’s burnt ends. Don’t have a smoker so I’m trying this snake method I saw on tiktok, using my Weber. Will update later with pics.

Till then, y’all ever tried something similar?

Pan of water to temper the direct heat can help as well.

But for poor man's burnt ends I say 17 it and go with pork belly and a sweet sauce at the end.

I like this one: https://blueshog.com/collections/sauce-pints/products/raspberry-chipotle-bbq-sauce-19-oz

Thank me later.

Last edited:

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
Yeah I lined two rows double stacked around the circumference of the grill and stacked my wood on top. Then put a pan of water in the center. Lit one end and opened the top vents. Currently holding between 240-260

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I do small cuts in the center of my Weber all the time. Doing a shoulder the same way tomorrow for the game and I’ve smoked a chuck roast for a ms poboy on mine as well, just did it indirect with a slow n sear.
Desoto did a poor man’s brisket the other day and I commented how chuck is more expensive than brisket right now. How much did you pay for your chuck? CAB chuck is $5.99 and up everywhere I can find it and choice brisket at Sams was $4.49 yesterday.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I think it’s the quality. Have you do CAB beef? I’ve only used CAB chuck for a ms poboy though, and it was as tender as any beef I’ve had.

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
Couldn’t tell you exactly. I buy a few roasts, steaks, chicken etc all at once and vacuum seal and freeze em- of course unless I’m grabbing something with the intention of cooking it that day. So no telling how much it was when I bought it.

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
View attachment 23412View attachment 23413

Clearly I’m bored and ready to go back to work.

I took the roast off at 165 internal temp. Put it in some foil and added Tony’s, little bit of sweet baby rays to offset some hot bbq sauce my BIL got from his hometown, and some better than bouillon. Wrapped it up and stuck it back on the grill. Let’s see what goes

ETA- I’m not an expert on smoking meats. Very amateur. Just bored and my kids with his mom.

Last edited:

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
View attachment 23414View attachment 23415

Took it out at 200 and cubed it. Soaked it in both BBQ sauces I mentioned before, put a little bit of butter, wrapped it back up and put it back on the grill for 15 minutes.

Finished product I’d give 10/10 for flavor. Not anywhere near as tender as I wanted it to be so clearly I didn’t do something right.

Hope y’all enjoyed my rambling and random **** from this.

DudyDog

Jun 18, 2008
Spray your grates with Pam and it will help cut down on the rust.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Damn. Didn't realize their reach extended that far out. For topping sandwiches, hash, etc. their vinegar-based 1878 sauce can't be beat.

It's got a little bit of heat, & not much sweet. I'm far from an expert, but that type of sauce can't lend itself well basting/cooking with it.

Nice to see a MS boy tasting some of what I grew up with, BBQ wise.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Needed a spritz of Dale's every 7 minutes. Rookie mistake.

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
Damn. Didn't realize their reach extended that far out. For topping sandwiches, hash, etc. their vinegar-based 1878 sauce can't be beat.

It's got a little bit of heat, & not much sweet. I'm far from an expert, but that type of sauce can't lend itself well basting/cooking with it.

Nice to see a MS boy tasting some of what I grew up with, BBQ wise.

Couldn’t even tell ya where it’s from originally. Just like the ****.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
You pulled it too early. The meat won't start breaking down til 203-205. You wouldn't think three degrees would make a difference but it does. I do chucks all the time. Search Malcolm Reeds " How to BBQ Right" Smoked Ms pot roast. You won't regret it.

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
Snake method is the way to go on the Weber. I've smoked exclusively on my grill. It's very easy to control the temperature using it. I got a Slow-n-sear last year and I'm constantly chasing the temps when I use it, and I don't much anymore.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I like BBQ Sauce nostalgia. I grew up mostly on the east coast on different navy bases, but for Thanksgiving and Easter every year we would go back to see family in Texas. I remember my Dad loading up on Stubb's BBQ sauce everytime to take back to wherever we lived.

It was bottled in old mason jars. By the time we moved to MS in the mid 90's you could finally get it in grocery stores. I don't know if it's the best BBQ sauce anymore, but it's sure was back in the day. Still the only BBQ sauce allowed in my house, traditions and all.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Huh. Next time I drive out that way, I might have to get a bottle or two.

Are those sold at supermarkets or just at his restaurant?

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I'm pretty sure it's only at the restaurant. But, I'll try to remember to look for it at local retailers around town.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Thanks!

I’ve not been to that part of Augusta— when I’m there I tend to stay around I-20 or go downtown.

If I’m there overnight and can do it, maybe I’ll drop by but kind of hard to do that when you have family living in the area but not that part of the city.

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
I do all of my smokes in my webber, using a snake layout. Use lots of wood chunks and hopefully have then soaked when you lay the snake.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login