Has Kirby been fined yet?

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Video of the game will prove it: He pretty violently shook one of his own players after they guy had a penalty; and he roughly shoved our QB on the Georgia sideline while trying to get to the official to complain about something.

He's too much of a hothead and needs to be punished for his actions.

One thing about Kiffin - like him or not - he appears to be calm as a cucumber during games with no pushing or shoving. He just coaches. Lebby is a little more animated but nothing outlandish.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Video of the game will prove it: He pretty violently shook one of his own players after they guy had a penalty; and he roughly shoved our QB on the Georgia sideline while trying to get to the official to complain about something.

One thing about Kiffin - like him or not - he appears to be calm as a cucumber during games with no pushing or shoving. He just coaches. Lebby is a little more animated but nothing outlandish.
Nothing is going to happen because he’s Kirby Smart.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007

Is there video of this?.. I missed it.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
This incident will be mentioned when he's fired in three years when it finally goes too far and the reporters admonish Georgia and the media for not making this a big deal and doing something about it sooner. It's not like Woody Hayes got fired over his first punch. There was a pattern.

CEO2044

May 11, 2009
If they are about protecting the athletes, then he should have either been penalized or fined.

Because again- if this is okay, then what's to stop coaches going forward from trying to get into the other team's head and give them a little shove, maybe try to elicit a shove back (or worse)? Got to set a precedent this isn't acceptable.

They won't, though.

Reactions: GomJabbar

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Give it time to gain legs. It will be addressed. It might be losing a piss break during the workday, but something will happen.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Y’all are nuts. It was intentional he just didn’t know it was a player.
You’re misunderstanding what I’m saying. Kirby didn’t run 20 yards down the sideline with the intent of pushing a MSU player. That would’ve been intentional. What Kirby did was the by product of him just being an *** hole. It still doesn’t make what he did any better. No opposing coach should ever put hands on an opposing player and not see ramifications. Intentional or not.

Last edited:

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
To me, it does not matter if it was intentional. He can’t act like an unhinged lunatic on the sideline. As a coach, you can’t accidentally shove a player from the other team.
Well he has acted like an overweight, bowl cut wearing 13 year old who’s mom told him he can’t buy anymore Vbucks on Fortnite since he was hired by Georgia

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
To me, it looked like he rushed over to tell one of his players something and an opposing player was in his way (might have even known it was MVB) and he shoved him, almost like, "why are you still here? Get out of my privileged a** way."

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
It wasn’t intentional. MVB just happened to be in the way. Some targeting isn’t intentional either, but it’s still targeting.
You could tell he was looking at somebody past MVB and was going to push whoever was in his way without even looking at them. I don't think it crossed his mind who he was pushing because he was pissed at his own coaches. He still needed to be flagged though.

Jul 11, 2024
It wasn’t intentional. MVB just happened to be in the way. Some targeting isn’t intentional either, but it’s still targeting.
This is the correct answer. It wasn't intentional but he should be have some sort of fine or reprimand to make him more aware of whats going on around him. Player safety right?

Could have easily led to a fight or something worse.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Still Waiting Office Tv GIF by The Office

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012

I think what will happen is the SEC office will issue a reprimand with no sanctions and Smart will offer some kind of apology to Van Buren. Which is how Smart should have handled it to begin with. This would have largely went away if right off the bat he just said something like this. 'What happened there was something in the heat of the moment of trying to coach my team and MVB unfortunately was caught in the crossfire. It had nothing to do with any animus toward the player. It is something that should not have happened. I sincerely apologize and wish him the best in the future.' I also think the SEC officials owe the team an apology too for swallowing the whistle there.

Now what State should do is put that video on a loop in the locker room the team every next year the week of the UGA game.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016

Interesting.

I assume that Kirby is physically and mentally capable of controlling the location of his hands and feet. And thus, his actions were intentional.

Looking at Kirby's angle of approach to MVB, it appears that Kirby should have been in MVB's field of view. MVB should have at least "stiffarmed" Kirby to stop him . . . preferably, in the face.

If MVB had gone after Kirby and put him on the ground after getting shoved like that, I wouldn't blame MVB.

Reactions: Dawg1976

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Exactly. 18 year old more cool and level headed than a grown man.
MVB did notSmart a huge favor there by ignoring him. If he had reacted and threw his hands up like 'hey what the hell!' he would have probably drawn a flag and made it MUCH worse for KS.

Reactions: onewoof

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I think what will happen is the SEC office will issue a reprimand with no sanctions and Smart will offer some kind of apology to Van Buren. Which is how Smart should have handled it to begin with. This would have largely went away if right off the bat he just said something like this. 'What happened there was something in the heat of the moment of trying to coach my team and MVB unfortunately was caught in the crossfire. It had nothing to do with any animus toward the player. It is something that should not have happened. I sincerely apologize and wish him the best in the future.' I also think the SEC officials owe the team an apology too for swallowing the whistle there.

Now what State should do is put that video on a loop in the locker room the team every next year the week of the UGA game.
That’s exactly what should have happened.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Y’all are nuts. It was intentional he just didn’t know it was a player.
After looking at it again you can see it was intentional. He should be fined for sure. But we will never hear about it as the SEC never releases that info.

Reactions: Old Dawg

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I still think it should've just been a flag. 15 yards, sideline warning, and we all move on. But, since there wasn't and the SEC saw fit to go back on film to Suspend Dillon Day, then something else needs to happen.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
He didn't just bump into him. He extended his arms to push him away. And Van Buren was right in front of him, so he cannot say he didn't see him.

By NOT giving some sort of punishment, it sets a very dangerous precedent. What's to keep any other coach from doing the same thing? And if they punish the next coach, that could be grounds for a lawsuit.... and the punished coach would win.

Reactions: Old Dawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Nothing is going to happen because he’s Kirby Smart.
I don't get that. Is it because his bowl cut is so good?

I don't think this is a major deal, but it's a bad look to not even reprimand him. A player that did that would have gotten a 15 yard penalty and an *** chewing from their coach for being so stupid. If they had done that to a coach they probably would have gotten some sort of punishment after the game also.

He should at least get a small fine. A coach doing that to the wrong player would start a brawl.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Exactly. 18 year old more cool and level headed than a grown man.
I think he was a true Freshman who didn't know what just happened. Probably figured he needed to get back to his huddle.

Every time I watch the video it looks less and less offensive. Kirby shoved someone out of the way so he could yell at his assistant coach. He should be required to send Van Buren a hand written apology.

Reactions: onewoof
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login