OT: Bye bye cord

Dec 6, 2010
So I was planning to cut the cord next week, for PS Vue. Now with the price increase, I'm thinking of changing course.
Only problem is, not sure which course I want to take now. Anyone wanna steer me in the right direction?

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
I've looked into this

So I was planning to cut the cord next week, for PS Vue. Now with the price increase, I'm thinking of changing course.
Only problem is, not sure which course I want to take now. Anyone wanna steer me in the right direction?

PS Vue Elite pkg is killer when piggybacked with Amazon Fire.

I don't know your situation but that's alot of channels, but do you have the bandwidth to support 1080p or 4K?

Hulu Live is not bad and is Sling's Orange pkg

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Last edited:

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
The important part of that for me is the lack of SEC Network+ for anything but Sling Orange. Otherwise, me and Vue Elite might be having a talk in a few months.
I need my MSU baseball. The only negative I see is the lack of locals, which we use a lot. Would I set up an OTA antenna and get a DVR to save $45 a month?

Full link for anyone who needs it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/6lx25j/its_getting_easier_to_be_a_college_football_fan/

I get the local ABC, NBC, and FoX in Houston with Vue. I do not get the local CBS

Dec 6, 2010
The important part of that for me is the lack of SEC Network+ for anything but Sling Orange. Otherwise, me and Vue Elite might be having a talk in a few months.
I need my MSU baseball. The only negative I see is the lack of locals, which we use a lot. Would I set up an OTA antenna and get a DVR to save $45 a month?

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/6lx25j/its_getting_easier_to_be_a_college_football_fan/

So, SEC Network + is not included with PS VUE? I failed to notice that.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
So, SEC Network + is not included with PS VUE? I failed to notice that.

Not in the channel lineup, but you can use your Vue id to sign into ESPN and get any ESPN or SECN broadcast.

I've had Vue for a year and never missed a game or sports broadcast by signing in the ESPN or another network app.

Still, with the price increase, I am looking at Direct TV NOW. With the increase of Vue package to $55, I can get the Direct TV Now $60 package and still sign into ESPN and other networks and get back a few channels we don't have like History or The Weather Channel.

The biggest problem is only Vue has the DVR in the cloud but I have 3 months before the increase kicks in to decide and see if Direct starts DVR service, which may happen soon.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

If you have a Fire TV, Apple TV, etc., you can switch in between services whenever you want. Do Vue until the end of football season and then switch over to Sling Orange for baseball. With no contract, you can go back and forth on whatever yearly cycle you choose. If there is a show you like on FX or something for 3 months out of the year, you can change over for something like that too. Also, I'm not sure how it works with DirecTV Now, Hulu, and Vue, but with Sling you can cancel your service with a few mouse clicks on your computer or remote clicks on your streaming device. No phone call needed. It's super easy.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2013
I just moved from New Orleans to a rural town in Louisiana. I've had Sling TV for about 2 years now, and in Nola I was using an OTA antenna for local channels. The problem I'm having now is the lack of signal for this antenna (we are about 50 miles from a city large enough to transmit signals). I can't for the life of me figure out how I'm going to get broadcast networks now. Any suggestions?

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
The problem I'm having now is the lack of signal for this antenna (we are about 50 miles from a city large enough to transmit signals). I can't for the life of me figure out how I'm going to get broadcast networks now. Any suggestions?

Roof top or attic VHF/UHF antenna with a Channel Master CM-7777 Titan 2 Antenna “High Gain” Preamplifier. The CM-7777 doubled or tripled my signal strength on weak channels and pulled in some channels I couldn't receive with just the antenna. Buy from Amazon. Look at the bottom of the amazon page under new & used and buy a open box returned one from Amazon Warehouse to save a few bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Mast...613748&sr=8-1&keywords=channel+master+cm-7777

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I prefer Sling over Vue.

Could be different now, but Vue was difficult to navigate. You couldn't browse the channel guide with your current viewing in the background. I'm a channel surfer so that was a deal breaker for me. Sling allows this. No comment on lineup and price. Gives and takes there.

Dec 5, 2013
Roof top or attic VHF/UHF antenna with a Channel Master CM-7777 Titan 2 Antenna “High Gain” Preamplifier. The CM-7777 doubled or tripled my signal strength on weak channels and pulled in some channels I couldn't receive with just the antenna. Buy from Amazon. Look at the bottom of the amazon page under new & used and buy a open box returned one from Amazon Warehouse to save a few bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Mast...613748&sr=8-1&keywords=channel+master+cm-7777

I wonder if I can get an electrician to put that attic/roof antenna in (2 story house) and run the wiring down to at least my living room.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Start by going to http://www.tvfool.com/ and figure out what channels are available, distance, and if they are VHF or UHF. Almost all will be UHF but it seems like one of the networks is always VHF. Determine what size (distance) antenna you need. If your 50 miles away a big outdoor antenna will be best. Order the antenna, hook it up, and aim it without going to the trouble of mounting it. See what you get and go from there. May need to mount it in the attic/roof or not. May need a pre-amp or not.

Order the antenna from Amazon so if it's a POS you can send it back with no problems. Good luck getting it to fit back in the box.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login