OT: Cancel Culture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Dry sports period. Should conservatives embrace this as a response to the progressive left's embrace of cancel culture in the 2010s, especially after 2015? For instance, more college professors were fired/contracts not renewed over often harmless views than during the McCarthy era. Traditional liberals tended to be silent, often for fear of being called racist or being cancelled (see Kaufmann's book "Taboo"). Now some on the right are doing it. I saw where Home Depot fired an employee, a middle age woman, for posting on social media something dumb about the Trump assassination attempt. A guy went to HD to film her, asked her questions while she worked and posted it to social media. Home Depot issued a press release saying she was no longer employed there. I'd rather not see that sort of thing happen. Just let ordinary people do dumb things, even post tasteless things, without trying to ruin their lives.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Cancel culture has been around just as long in conservative circles as it has in progressive circles.

Tenacious D had to cancel the rest of their tour in Australia because Kyle had a birthday so they made a cake and sang to him and asked him to make a wish and he said he wished the bullet didn’t miss. His talent manager also dropped him.

ETA: I mean we are talking about political violence and assassinating a former president running for president. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Yeah, I'm sick of the whole trend. I'd rather the right have taken the high ground, but instead, it's apparently just reprisal time.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I love Kyle Glass. I was surprised to see Jack Black basically kick him out of the band.

His comment was definitely crude and insensitive, but so is the ‘Cock Pushups’ song.

• Haha
Reactions: Darryl Steight

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Dry sports period. Should conservatives embrace this as a response to the progressive left's embrace of cancel culture in the 2010s, especially after 2015? For instance, more college professors were fired/contracts not renewed over often harmless views than during the McCarthy era. Traditional liberals tended to be silent, often for fear of being called racist or being cancelled (see Kaufmann's book "Taboo"). Now some on the right are doing it. I saw where Home Depot fired an employee, a middle age woman, for posting on social media something dumb about the Trump assassination attempt. A guy went to HD to film her, asked her questions while she worked and posted it to social media. Home Depot issued a press release saying she was no longer employed there. I'd rather not see that sort of thing happen. Just let ordinary people do dumb things, even post tasteless things, without trying to ruin their lives.
Conservatives used to own cancel culture. It was their thing. Still is. Can't have an honest discussion about it without acknowledging it. All that's changed is libs starting doing it a fraction as much as cons do.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
A guy went to HD to film her, asked her questions while she worked and posted it to social media. Home Depot issued a press release saying she was no longer employed there. I'd rather not see that sort of thing happen. Just let ordinary people do dumb things, even post tasteless things, without trying to ruin their lives.
That’s a little different than posting stupid stuff online. She was at work, clearly with a HD uniform/ID if it’s as you describe. Most companies have policies that distinguish between private and things done giving the appearance of speaking for the company. But, people posting things encouraging the death of someone, yeah, I have no issue with them being fired if that’s the path the employer wants to take.

An entertainer taking a political stance, if you don’t like it don’t support them but I don’t agree with “canceling” them.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
I’ll also add, a college professor can have whatever view they choose as long as it doesn’t interfere with their instruction and doesn’t impact the grades of their students if they don’t share the same opinions. If their views impact their ability to do their job then they should go.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Conservatives used to own cancel culture. It was their thing. Still is. Can't have an honest discussion about it without acknowledging it. All that's changed is libs starting doing it a fraction as much as cons do.
You might want to look at the actual literature on this by Kaufmann, Al Gharbi, Hanania, Haidt and a couple of others, none of whom are conservative scholars. Why is it so hard for some on the left to acknowledge the excesses on their own side? I guess conservative cancel culture gave us an overwhelming left-wing dominance in the media, universities, K-12 pedagogy, Hollywood...Try again and notice

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Cancel culture has been around just as long in conservative circles as it has in progressive circles.

Tenacious D had to cancel the rest of their tour in Australia because Kyle had a birthday so they made a cake and sang to him and asked him to make a wish and he said he wished the bullet didn’t miss. His talent manager also dropped him.

ETA: I mean we are talking about political violence and assassinating a former president running for president. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.
I don’t think Tenacious D was “cancelled.” The rest of the band just quit because of that idiot.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
You might want to look at the actual literature on this by Kaufmann, Al Gharbi, Hanania, Haidt and a couple of others, none of whom are conservative scholars. Why is it so hard for some on the left to acknowledge the excesses on their own side? I guess conservative cancel culture gave us an overwhelming left-wing dominance in the media, universities, K-12 pedagogy, Hollywood...Try again and notice
It’s Boom Boom. He’s never going to blame anyone about anything other than conservatives.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
It's an issue of magnification and too many people thinking that what they post online doesn't have the ability to be shared with the majority of the world's internet users in a few days.

I agree though. I don't see the point of harassing normal people for posting stupid **** and getting them fired. It just radicalizes everyone. It wasn't cool when libs did it, and it's certainly not cool now that the shoe is on the other foot.

Just do what I do when I read half the posts from 'experts' on this board - roll your eyes and keep scrolling.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I would say that's not really the cancel culture that people complain about, except that I'm not sure that type of comment would have resulted in any significant blowback 15 years ago. (At least in the context of an entertainer making a horrible statement about a politician on the right) Plenty of people shared more or less assassination fantasies about W and just the multidecade habit of every major politician on the right being the next Hitler or a fascist or whatever is at least playing with fire as far as convincing mentally ill people that they can do something good with an assassination.

I would say cancel culture that people complain about is when people try to organize a mob to make mainstream political opinions risky to express, particularly for nobodies. Boycotting chik-fil-a because their owners are christian seems pretty stupid, but whatever. But I think using influence to try to threaten the commercial interest of business partners or customers is out of line. It's even worse when it's applied to relative nobodies. A firechief shouldn't get fired for believing that marriage is between a man and a woman.

The right is trying to make cancel culture tit for tat, which of course they are no where close to doing but they are at least starting to make companies aware that it's not completely costless. It'd be better if everybody just extended the values of free speech to at least mainstream political opinions, but that's probably not on the table without some stick and carrot incentives and there is a reason tit for tat is such a good strategy in so many game theory applications.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
here we go batman GIF

MrKotter

Aug 22, 2012
The conservatives aren't burning down or looting businesses they disagree with. The left is also the side that doesn't stop until someone is fired or harmed. Now that fire is being fought with fire you whimps are playing the victim game once again. You're a sad bunch.

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
Im 40
I remember Dixie Chicks not getting played on country radio for a comment about Bush
Really the first time I remember cancel culture
Records burning **** was wild 🤷

Edited to add
All those dummies burning records probably same group that Call W a rino these days

Reactions: Boom Boom and Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Reactions: Boom Boom

MrKotter

Aug 22, 2012
"Posting something dumb"? She posted "too bad they weren't a better shooter ". That's not posting something dumb. That's wishing death to someone. That's the kind of person you want representing your company? You should have chosen a different argument point in your attempt to make conservatives look like big meanies

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Im 40
I remember Dixie Chicks not getting played on country radio for a comment about Bush
Really the first time I remember cancel culture
Records burning **** was wild 🤷

Edited to add
All those dummies burning records probably same group that Call W a rino these days
I remember that. President Bush defended their right to free speech and their tour continued but with smaller crowds. That's an example of cancel culture on the right largely. Recent left-wing cancel culture comes from typically college educated people wanted to limit the free speech rights of others because they believe some words are harmful and traumatic for those they designate as marginalized. Thus you saw deplatforming of speakers on college campuses.

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
Just the first one I remember.
Is there anyone saying someone should be jailed for speech?
You can say anything you want and won’t go to jail.
You can’t say anything you want and not be shamed for it.

The lady at Home Depot said something dumb a private citizen went to her job and harassed her about it. They both did dumb things but neither will go to jail.
They both look stupid and one might lose her job. Her first amendment right wasn’t infringed on but HD may decide her out of work antics are causing trouble at work so she needs to go.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Is it a dry sports period though?
The MLB All-Star game was last night and a former Bulldog (Westburg) was playing.
SEC Football Media Days is going on and Lebby is scheduled to speak in like 10 minutes.
The MLB draft just happened and will affect our roster.
EA Sports is releasing the first college football game in 10 years this week.
The Olympics are a week away.
And that's just the crap off the top of my head.

"Dry sports period" seems like a cop out to just post some political BS here.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
"Posting something dumb"? She posted "too bad they weren't a better shooter ". That's not posting something dumb. That's wishing death to someone. That's the kind of person you want representing your company? You should have chosen a different argument point in your attempt to make conservatives look like big meanies
That's dumb. Don't post that. And conservatives are speaking out against cancel culture on their side. Maybe see if she realizes her error and atones for it.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Is it a dry sports period though?
The MLB All-Star game was last night and a former Bulldog (Westburg) was playing.
SEC Football Media Days is going on and Lebby is scheduled to speak in like 10 minutes.
The MLB draft just happened and will affect our roster.
EA Sports is releasing the first college football game in 10 years this week.
The Olympics are a week away.
And that's just the crap off the top of my head.

"Dry sports period" seems like a cop out to just post some political BS here.
Aww. Bless your heart. You forgot local pickleball leagues, btw.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Is anyone really denying that it doesn't happen on the right? I opened the thread with that. And those events are rare but worthy of condemnation. Do you really believe that most of the burning and looting over the past decade since the racial reckoning was done by conservatives?
MrKotter literally just said "The conservatives aren't burning down or looting businesses they disagree with."

You can't really have a sincere conversation about this type of topic until some folks start removing the logs from their own eyes.

Reactions: Boom Boom

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
My problem with the boycott side of cancel culture is the Virtue Signaling. The Bud Light thing was hilarious to me because I had no idea who that dude was until the uproar. It seems people like that monetize off of fame and guess what, they made him absurdly famous. If you post to the world that you are boycotting something you are saying hey look at me, not hey this company sucks. Stop buying the products and I assure you their quarterly sales reports will paint the picture needed. I also love the convenient boycotts. I’m a liberal and I’m not buying Goya beans!!! Oh you mean like you haven’t bought in the previous 20 years? Now if you boycott something that is difficult, that would be something. I heard that all Air Conditioning companies support (insert political issue) so I’m no longer using Air Conditioning. Sir you have my respect.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
You posted about a shooting, not looting or burning down of a business. That happens once in a while and is worthy of condemning as I and others have done. Bringing up Jan 6 would be fine too. But what acts are you condemning by people on your side?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login