OT: Car Tag

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I just went to buy the tag for my sons' car. I gave him my car. I had a veteran's tag. It cost 33.00 extra a year. It has paid for itself numerous times. Police do not mess with you. My son wanting a Black Tag. I think it is 50.00 extra. When I went to pay, she took my tag bill and added the Black Tag fee. She did not subtract the special fee for the veteran's tag. I kept telling her what she said I owed was too much. I could not make her understand she was charging me for two special tags. Then another lady came to see what was going on. I could not make her understand. I needed a tag. I gave in. I figure I will come back and get and adjustment later. Then a third lady came over and figured the tag and she got it right. She only charged for the Black Tag. The other two never said anything. They could not admit they were wrong. No apology or anything. Yes, I was getting pissed.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Gubment service. Pissing citizens off since 1776.
Sounds like many of the same people I have had to talk with thru the years at phone companies, internet companies, cell companies, cable companies, satellite companies, etc.

Gvt employees who don't 'get' something basic is infuriating. Private employees who struggle are also infuriating.
Basically, dumb people are infuriating.

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
Sounds like many of the same people I have had to talk with thru the years at phone companies, internet companies, cell companies, cable companies, satellite companies, etc.

Gvt employees who don't 'get' something basic is infuriating. Private employees who struggle are also infuriating.
Basically, dumb people are infuriating.

Cool story, bro.

None of those private industry employees are paid by forced taxation nor am I compelled to do business with them through enforced regulation. I can take my business elsewhere and I have. I suggest you do the same.

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
I just went to buy the tag for my sons' car. I gave him my car. I had a veteran's tag. It cost 33.00 extra a year. It has paid for itself numerous times. Police do not mess with you. My son wanting a Black Tag. I think it is 50.00 extra. When I went to pay, she took my tag bill and added the Black Tag fee. She did not subtract the special fee for the veteran's tag. I kept telling her what she said I owed was too much. I could not make her understand she was charging me for two special tags. Then another lady came to see what was going on. I could not make her understand. I needed a tag. I gave in. I figure I will come back and get and adjustment later. Then a third lady came over and figured the tag and she got it right. She only charged for the Black Tag. The other two never said anything. They could not admit they were wrong. No apology or anything. Yes, I was getting pissed.
Had to have been in Madison county…

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Cool story, bro.

None of those private industry employees are paid by forced taxation nor am I compelled to do business with them through enforced regulation. I can take my business elsewhere and I have. I suggest you do the same.
Thru the years it hasnt worked too well to tell an electric company or water company that I am taking my business elsewhere. What am I going to do...power my house with a bunch of potato batteries? I dont have access to that many potatoes- only @PooPopsBaldSocks has access to enough potatoes to pull that off.

Heck, even into the 00s, it didnt work too well to tell the local cable provider I was taking my business elsewhere. I could technically, but it was to one of the atrocious satellite companies. Trade one devil for another?
And ISP competition didnt exist in much of the country even into last decade. For the developed parts of the country, it was similar to above- trade one atrocious ISP for another. Woohoo, I guess.

Anyways, my comment was only intended to point out that incompetence exists everywhere. For you to expect it to not exist in government is naïve as 17.
I will happily point out that while you claim you(and others) are forced to do business with the government employees in question, reality is that just isnt correct. You arent forced to own a vehicle. You are CHOOSING to own a vehicle and the registration fee is the state's way of collecting money to account for the wear and tear of infrastructure that the vehicle you chose to own, will create.
Yes yes, its unreasonable to not own a car, yada yada. And yet adults not only manage, but flourish without owning a car every day. Its wild.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Thru the years it hasnt worked too well to tell an electric company or water company that I am taking my business elsewhere. What am I going to do...power my house with a bunch of potato batteries? I dont have access to that many potatoes- only @PooPopsBaldSocks has access to enough potatoes to pull that off.
Potato batteries > corn gas.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Every time I read something about "car tags" I think about how bad y'all get hosed on that damn ad valorem tax on your cars every year. I'll be driving a real hooptie if I ever move back. It's very clever taxation though. Keep the gas tax rates low so people don't complain at the pump, rape the hell out of everyone in a newer vehicle once a year, and/or have them drive old gas guzzlers that require more gas thus increase gas tax revenue via the fast nickel vs slow dime theory.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
As Carlin said: the average person is an idiot, and half the people are dumber than that.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
show them this article and get your money back brother, no more custom fee for those tags

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Isn't potato shine normally called vodka?
Only in Europe, this is murica we don't make that commie śhit.*** In my mind if it's homemade and high proof it's shine, if it's commercially produced and 80 proof it's vodka.

I actually used to make that argument in reverse about Tito's.

I had some buddies when we were in our early 20's that worked for a big liquor distributor in Texas. One of them was somehow involved in purchasing vodka. He said Tito would be up there begging him to buy 2 pallets instead of one early on. Somehow I learned Tito's was corn based vodka and I immediately decided it was nothing but watered down moonshine since the process described to me was how this hillbilly I knew back in MS made his moonshine.

By all accounts, Tito's is one of the greatest marketing successes in human history. Somehow people conjured up this image of Tito outside of Austin walking through his corn fields harvesting his own crop and mashing it with his feet or something. Dude was (and I believe still is) straight up buying commodity grain alcohol by the tanker load and running it through his stills and bottling it. After it started really taking off a few guys that worked at the distributor together (Including a Mississippi State guy or two) ended up starting Western Son Vodka... One of the State guys now owns Western Son outright I believe.

WS has done well, but that damn Tito's is the biggest liquor brand in the US now. 20 years ago he didn't have a pot to piss in and now he's worth $6 billion, off that damn watered down moonshine he calls vodka.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Dude was (and I believe still is) straight up buying commodity grain alcohol by the tanker load and running it through his stills and bottling it.
Isn’t that what all these flavored whiskeys are that are so popular now? Straight grain alcohol blended with some flavoring and water?

patdog

May 28, 2007
show them this article and get your money back brother, no more custom fee for those tags

They'll still charge the fee. You can just opt for a regular tag number instead of a personalized one.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008

Reading comprehension, brah. There is still a custom fee. This bill removes the requirement that purchasers of these blackout tags come up with unique lettering/numbering. People were literally standing around in the tax collector's offices clogging up the line of people waiting for service trying to come up with stupid $h!+ to put on their blackout tag. The system will be able to randomize the tag letters/numbers now.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’ll give you another car tag stupid story. Years ago when the university required tags on golf carts in order to be legal I got my electric cart titled , insured, and bought a tag. The first year it was twenty something dollars. The next year when the renewal came in it was like $300. I just assumed it was a mistake and went to the courthouse to get it straight. It seems that since electric vehicles aren’t buying gas and paying taxes at the pump, the legislature decided to add a tax on the tag to force electric car owners to pay at least some road taxes. It didnt matter that it was just a golf cart. Paid it one year, sold it and bought a gas cart. Tag was less than $30.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Only in Europe, this is murica we don't make that commie śhit.*** In my mind if it's homemade and high proof it's shine, if it's commercially produced and 80 proof it's vodka.

I actually used to make that argument in reverse about Tito's.

I had some buddies when we were in our early 20's that worked for a big liquor distributor in Texas. One of them was somehow involved in purchasing vodka. He said Tito would be up there begging him to buy 2 pallets instead of one early on. Somehow I learned Tito's was corn based vodka and I immediately decided it was nothing but watered down moonshine since the process described to me was how this hillbilly I knew back in MS made his moonshine.

By all accounts, Tito's is one of the greatest marketing successes in human history. Somehow people conjured up this image of Tito outside of Austin walking through his corn fields harvesting his own crop and mashing it with his feet or something. Dude was (and I believe still is) straight up buying commodity grain alcohol by the tanker load and running it through his stills and bottling it. After it started really taking off a few guys that worked at the distributor together (Including a Mississippi State guy or two) ended up starting Western Son Vodka... One of the State guys now owns Western Son outright I believe.

WS has done well, but that damn Tito's is the biggest liquor brand in the US now. 20 years ago he didn't have a pot to piss in and now he's worth $6 billion, off that damn watered down moonshine he calls vodka.
Tito's overpriced. Burnetts is the best bang for the buck.

Reactions: GomJabbar

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I’ll give you another car tag stupid story. Years ago when the university required tags on golf carts in order to be legal I got my electric cart titled , insured, and bought a tag. The first year it was twenty something dollars. The next year when the renewal came in it was like $300. I just assumed it was a mistake and went to the courthouse to get it straight. It seems that since electric vehicles aren’t buying gas and paying taxes at the pump, the legislature decided to add a tax on the tag to force electric car owners to pay at least some road taxes. It didnt matter that it was just a golf cart. Paid it one year, sold it and bought a gas cart. Tag was less than $30.
An extra fee for a golf cart is not warranted, but a fee for electric cars certainly is. An EV is heavier than its equivalent gasoline engine so probably should pay more road taxes.

Reactions: Poppy IV and FQDawg

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Every time I read something about "car tags" I think about how bad y'all get hosed on that damn ad valorem tax on your cars every year. I'll be driving a real hooptie if I ever move back. It's very clever taxation though. Keep the gas tax rates low so people don't complain at the pump, rape the hell out of everyone in a newer vehicle once a year, and/or have them drive old gas guzzlers that require more gas thus increase gas tax revenue via the fast nickel vs slow dime theory.
How much is a typical license plate in Mississippi now? When I lived there, they were quite expensive and Alabama was almost free (my neighbor in Meridian actually registered his cars in Alabama. I think it was something like $3 each at the time). Alabama is no longer "free". Mine were something like $800 for two cars (a 2013 Caddy and 2021 Audi SQ5) when I renewed last August. I have a Retired Navy on one (no extra fee) and an MSU tag on the other ($50 extra).

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I bought a new Jeep in 2020 and the tag was around $800. My son bought a new 2021 HD Chevy and I picked his tag up and it was over $1200. It varies within the county depending on what district you live in and whether you live within a city limits or not. Wife’s Benz is about six years old and its tag is $225. They are going to get their money one way or the other. I have residences in both Ms and Al so I could get away with claiming either for primary residence. I’ve done the math, whatever you save on this in either state you pay more for that. I know a couple who own residents in both states as well. He claims residence in Ms, has Ms plates, pays Ms taxes, and Ms insurance. She does the same in Al. They claim to save money somehow but I’m skeptical.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Saw a car the other day with a Fulton Co. GA tag that just said:

FLICK

Im a little surprised the people who look out for inappropriate tag requests let that one get by.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I'm often reminded of it when reading this board..... **
As Carlin said: the average person is an idiot, and half the people are dumber than that.
Carlin said a lot stuff that was spot-on, such as:
"The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions."

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I bought a new Jeep in 2020 and the tag was around $800. My son bought a new 2021 HD Chevy and I picked his tag up and it was over $1200. It varies within the county depending on what district you live in and whether you live within a city limits or not. Wife’s Benz is about six years old and its tag is $225. They are going to get their money one way or the other. I have residences in both Ms and Al so I could get away with claiming either for primary residence. I’ve done the math, whatever you save on this in either state you pay more for that. I know a couple who own residents in both states as well. He claims residence in Ms, has Ms plates, pays Ms taxes, and Ms insurance. She does the same in Al. They claim to save money somehow but I’m skeptical.
Ad Valorem taxes suck. I remember buying my first plates in Mississippi after I purchased a new car in Mississippi. Still haven't recovered - financially or emotionally.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Ad Valorem taxes suck. I remember buying my first plates in Mississippi after I purchased a new car in Mississippi. Still haven't recovered - financially or emotionally.
...dont you pay that any time you go out to eat, or buy groceries, or buy lumber, pay property tax, etc etc?
Our tax system is pretty much built on that style of taxing.

patdog

May 28, 2007
...dont you pay that any time you go out to eat, or buy groceries, or buy lumber, pay property tax, etc etc?
Those are sales taxes. Ad valorem taxes are property taxes. But yeah, we're taxed in about a thousand different ways on pretty much everything we do in life.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
The trick is to be wealthy enough that it doesn't matter.

Reactions: patdog

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
The trick is to keep that sucker long enough to get that $26 permanent tag that never expires. I’ve got two of them.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

I haven't paid 3 figures for a tag in many years. It pays to drive old reliable trucks. I can't beat you off the green light, but it does pretty much everything I need it to very well.

To each his own.

And yes, I paid for expensive tags when I was younger, prouder and dumber. This isn't directed at the poster I'm responding to. Just seemed like an appropriate spot to drop my soapbox.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Those are sales taxes. Ad valorem taxes are property taxes. But yeah, we're taxed in about a thousand different ways on pretty much everything we do in life.
So I am definitely not arguing this point as I am far from an expert on taxes...we send our tax needs to a pro and it is for good reason.
I just thought that term meant that its a tax which is based on product value(valorem).
So then sales tax on consumer goods would apply. A VAT would apply too.

But again, this is just what I figured based only on the term's translation.
SPS really disappoints way too often, but man there are also a ton of really cool topics and threads, both on topic and off topic.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Mr. Cook is referring more to sticker shock for car tags in Mississippi.

He and I chatted yesterday and he mentioned that he got a new specialty out-of-state tag that cost less him than a third of what my Mississippi specialty tag cost me and that was when I mentioned this thread.

Reactions: mstateglfr

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Mr. Cook is referring more to sticker shock for car tags in Mississippi.

He and I chatted yesterday and he mentioned that he got a new specialty out-of-state tag that cost less him than a third of what my Mississippi specialty tag cost me and that was when I mentioned this thread.
this is why MS has the best roads in the nation, all that tax money funding par excellance on our public roads

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login