OT: Car Tag

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
this is why MS has the best roads in the nation, all that tax money funding par excellance on our public roads

That's funded more by the state gas tax which is taken when we fuel up...
Also the state lottery now as well as fees taken from the Mississippians who drive hybrids and electric vehicles.

Reactions: onewoof

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I haven't paid 3 figures for a tag in many years. It pays to drive old reliable trucks. I can't beat you off the green light, but it does pretty much everything I need it to very well.

To each his own.

And yes, I paid for expensive tags when I was younger, prouder and dumber. This isn't directed at the poster I'm responding to. Just seemed like an appropriate spot to drop my soapbox.
I’m 57 and I’ve owned three new vehicles in my lifetime. Bought a new car when I finally got out from under the divorce. One mistake to another. After my home was paid for I kept putting the payment into a brokerage account, a few years later I paid cash for a new pickup. When I retired I paid cash for the Jeep out of the same brokerage account as my own personal retirement present.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I just went to buy the tag for my sons' car. I gave him my car. I had a veteran's tag. It cost 33.00 extra a year. It has paid for itself numerous times. Police do not mess with you. My son wanting a Black Tag. I think it is 50.00 extra. When I went to pay, she took my tag bill and added the Black Tag fee. She did not subtract the special fee for the veteran's tag. I kept telling her what she said I owed was too much. I could not make her understand she was charging me for two special tags. Then another lady came to see what was going on. I could not make her understand. I needed a tag. I gave in. I figure I will come back and get and adjustment later. Then a third lady came over and figured the tag and she got it right. She only charged for the Black Tag. The other two never said anything. They could not admit they were wrong. No apology or anything. Yes, I was getting pissed.
Don't think any tag will help if you're doing over 80 in a 70 limit. I found out the hard way between Oxford and Bruce when the MHP pulled me over and ticketed me. I was doing 75 in a 55 zone......When I paid the ticket, I asked the clerk if they had an installment pay plan. They didn't.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Don't think any tag will help if you're doing over 80 in a 70 limit. I found out the hard way between Oxford and Bruce when the MHP pulled me over and ticketed me. I was doing 75 in a 55 zone......When I paid the ticket, I asked the clerk if they had an installment pay plan. They didn't.
I am 58 years old and don't get stupid while driving a car.

Reactions: dorndawg

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I am 58 years old and don't get stupid while driving a car.
It's rare I get stupid on speeding. My normal driving speed if I'm not in a justifiable hurry is about 5 over the limit. Most Interstates are 70, so I set her on about 75 cruise and relax. Interstates in South Dakota are 80 limits, so I set it on 85. That seems a little stupid to me, but up there the interstates are about as straight as an arrow for miles and miles. In Mississippi, you're generally ok on about 75-79......if you go above 80, you start sticking out like a sore thumb to the MHP. Just keep it under 80 and you'll probably be fine. The MHP are looking for the big fish who drive 80-100.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
It's rare I get stupid on speeding. My normal driving speed if I'm not in a justifiable hurry is about 5 over the limit. Most Interstates are 70, so I set her on about 75 cruise and relax. Interstates in South Dakota are 80 limits, so I set it on 85. That seems a little stupid to me, but up there the interstates are about as straight as an arrow for miles and miles. In Mississippi, you're generally ok on about 75-79......if you go above 80, you start sticking out like a sore thumb to the MHP. Just keep it under 80 and you'll probably be fine. The MHP are looking for the big fish who drive 80-100.
85 on one interstate in Utah.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
That's just too fast. I wish they would cap all federal interstate speeds to 75. There's no need to go any faster than that. Most people who zip by me like I was standing still, get to their destination about 5-10 minutes before I do......and they risk losing control of their car and into a big accident, or getting a huge speeding ticket. 5-10 minutes ain't worth it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login