OT: Charleston, SC

MaroonSadness99

Aug 1, 2022
Thinking about taking a family trip there for new years. Anyone live there or have opinions on the area? Is it worth the trip? What recommendations do y’all have while there?

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
My kids loved it, but we went with the history angle. Fort Moultrie and particularly the Yorktown both get a thumbs up.
The Daughters of the Confederacy museum is also an interesting stop if that sort of thing doesn’t offend (or the kids are the right ages for tough conversations), if only to see some of their more odd items and juxtapose eras in American history.
We didn’t have time for Fort Sumter.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
We spent a couple of days vacationing in Savannah and Charleston this summer. If I had to pick one, I'd rather go to Savannah but that's just my personal preference. How many days are you looking to spend there, and what age are your kids? You're picking a much better time to go than we did - it's rare that someone from Mississippi would complain about humidity elsewhere, but damn Charleston was insanely humid in July.

I felt Savannah was more relaxed, could just walk around and chill. Charleston was a little busier - probably more activities to do. We toured Fort Sumter and their small aquarium. Ate some great BBQ. It rained more while we were in Charleston so couldn't get our as much... and that probably affected my opinion.

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
Just got back from there a couple weeks ago. Did Charleston and Savannah. We spent more time in Charleston. Loved it! I would like to go back to Savannah at some point and spend more time there. Cool town as well.

Did guided walking tours in both places and really enjoyed it.

Charleston has an insane number of craft brewers if you are into that sort of thing.

Stopped by Beaufort, SC, on our drive back from Savannah on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. I believe I could live in Beaufort. Seemed like a nice town.

This was only my 2nd time to visit SC. First was Columbia and Myrtle Beach 10+ years ago. I prefer the Charleston/Beaufort area. People there are very friendly and welcoming.

Reactions: MaroonSadness99

MaroonSadness99

Aug 1, 2022
We spent a couple of days vacationing in Savannah and Charleston this summer. If I had to pick one, I'd rather go to Savannah but that's just my personal preference. How many days are you looking to spend there, and what age are your kids? You're picking a much better time to go than we did - it's rare that someone from Mississippi would complain about humidity elsewhere, but damn Charleston was insanely humid in July.

I felt Savannah was more relaxed, could just walk around and chill. Charleston was a little busier - probably more activities to do. We toured Fort Sumter and their small aquarium. Ate some great BBQ. It rained more while we were in Charleston so couldn't get our as much... and that probably affected my opinion.
The kids are 20 22 & 24. If we go it would probably be a 4 day deal

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
The kids are 20 22 & 24. If we go it would probably be a 4 day deal
The 20 year old will be SOL unless he/she has a fake ID and or y’all indulge in a cocktail or two.
Lots of bars and lots of good, fun rooftop bars in Charelston.
One of the best hotels is Hotel Bennett.
Real close is an Embassy Suites as well so you have $$ options.
King Street for shopping
Also, Charelston City Market
Breakfast -
Millers All Day
Hot Little Biscuit
Brunch - Church and Union - must do ✔️

lunch spots - too many to name but
Meeting at Market is really good
Hymans Half Shell
Leon’s Oysters and Chicken
Charleston Beer Works - brew pub but good bar food
Rodney Scott’s BBQ
Dinner >
Ordinary Oyster Bar
167 Raw
Fleet Landing
Poogans Porch
Frannie and Fox - Italian. (Really good)
Magnolia
Carmella’s
Husk
ROOFTOP bars
Eleve
The Watch
Rooftop at Venue
Dewberry Citrus Club

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
The 20 year old will be SOL unless he/she has a fake ID and or y’all indulge in a cocktail or two.
Lots of bars and lots of good, fun rooftop bars in Charelston.
One of the best hotels is Hotel Bennett.
Real close is an Embassy Suites as well so you have $$ options.
King Street for shopping
Also, Charelston City Market
Breakfast -
Millers All Day
Hot Little Biscuit
Brunch - Church and Union - must do ✔️

lunch spots - too many to name but
Meeting at Market is really good
Hymans Half Shell
Leon’s Oysters and Chicken
Charleston Beer Works - brew pub but good bar food
Rodney Scott’s BBQ
Dinner >
Ordinary Oyster Bar
167 Raw
Fleet Landing
Poogans Porch
Frannie and Fox - Italian. (Really good)
Magnolia
Carmella’s
Husk
ROOFTOP bars
Eleve
The Watch
Rooftop at Venue
Dewberry Citrus Club
Hotel Bennett is awesome!

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
Recently went and really enjoyed it. My kids are a little young to fully appreciate the history angle but definitely some great sites to see.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
I like a little trip to Charleston every now and then. If you're driving...pick up some beer at rusty bull for me please. They don't distribute to this edge of the state.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
When in Rome.... Charleston is possibly a top 3 BBQ destination these days. Rodney Scott's gets all the headlines for good reason, but everyone I know that has been say Lewis BBQ is the best they've had anywhere. Take your antacids and try both would be my take... It's a long åss way, but I want to go myself real soon.

Eta Google Reviews agree. 4.8* on over 6,000 Reviews is scrong.

1000011639.png
1000011640.png

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
When in Rome.... Charleston is possibly a top 3 BBQ destination these days. Rodney Scott's gets all the headlines for good reason, but everyone I know that has been say Lewis BBQ is the best they've had anywhere. Take your antacids and try both would be my take... It's a long åss way, but I want to go myself real soon.

Eta Google Reviews agree. 4.8* on over 6,000 Reviews is scrong.

View attachment 427788
Lewis BBQ is the real deal, you will not be disappointed.

LexSCDOG

Aug 5, 2014
Thinking about taking a family trip there for new years. Anyone live there or have opinions on the area? Is it worth the trip? What recommendations do y’all have while there?
We go a few times a yr(but live only 100 miles away). Like the Seafood and vibe down there. Esp at Christmas. Wife likes to shop. Good Seafood: 167 Raw; The Darling; Rappahannock Oyster Bar. Steak: Halls Chophouse. Never go in July/Aug, hotter than Hades. Usually stay right off King Street somewhere. Mt Pleasant has really taken off and has good seafood as well.

Dawgs_4_life

Jun 12, 2014
Go eat at Hyman's. Walk around. Go eat at Hyman's again. Repeat.

If you go to Folly Beach, beware of the rocks. We came out of the water bruised and bloodied after that swim.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login