OT: Chicago Downtown

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
Sorry for another off topic post, but I'm gonna be in Chicago for a week and was wondering if any of u guys could recommend some decent areas to stay in the downtown area.

Thanks in advance

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009
Call the Mayor’s office. Ask for Lori. She will direct to the Hot Spots where there is plenty of Gun Powder and Lead to go around.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
The Gold Coast is the best part of town. Everything you need is within a few blocks. I recommend the Waldorf or Peninsula as far as hotels go. If those aren’t ‘downtown’ enough for you, the Palmer House is neat.

Maple & Ash is the best meal I’ve ever had in the city. I enjoyed it more than Smyth, and they tend to be 1A and 1B. The Loyalist is the gastro-bar attached to Smyth. I’ve heard good things, but never been there.

Chicago is great. It’s a dude’s town. Ton of sports, gambling is legal and so is marijuana. It’s hard to beat.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Last time I was there the maitre d' was snooty...

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Sorry for another off topic post, but I'm gonna be in Chicago for a week and was wondering if any of u guys could recommend some decent areas to stay in the downtown area.

Thanks in advance

Lived there for a few years, and I've coordinated professional events there. I recommend looking hotels along the Chicago River (there are plenty, but some are pricey)

Chicago is a sports town - so you have your choice of things there. Take in a Cubs game if you can - Wrigley is worth the trip.

Food: Pizza and hot dogs are signatures in this town - don't get lulled into looking for "steak houses" constantly

Should you have the time, I also recommend you hit the Wllis Tower Skydeck and go on "the Ledge"

Great city - make the most of it

msudogsrule

Aug 22, 2012
La Scarola is the best Italian restaurant I have ever eaten at. Rumor is that it is mob-owned, but the food is worth going. Literally everything there is fantastic, and the prices are fair.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Put an extra jacket in your suitcase just in case the wind turns NE off the lake. It can go from sweltering to freezing in quick and your better half will try to steal as much clothing as she can from you while demanding you find a parka.

I am not joking about the cold.

This happened my last trip to Wrigley in June. Night game. People were enjoying the tee shirt and shorts warm evening when suddenly a huge fog bank rolled off the lake from the North and the temps just plummeted sending everyone scarring for sweatshirts and blankets at the shops in the concourse. Blankets and warm throws sold out in minutes. Luckiy my family was originally from that area so I was prepared somewhat and got a nice Cubby plush throw blanket for two to bring home.

G-Dawg

Sep 6, 2012
I know Chicago gets a bad rap, but I LOVE that city. WAYYYY better than New York to me, at least. Go get a deep dish from Lou Malnati's. Lots of great areas along the Chicago River near Michigan Ave.

cajunken.sixpack

Feb 4, 2015
Full Disclosure, here: Long time lurker. Was in grad school at State from 90 to 93, watched most baseball games from Section A, front row, living in Aggieland now in College Station . Just bought my retirement property at Lake Caroline in Madison, and plan to build in three years.

With all that said, Chicago is one of my top three favorite cities in the US. Get a hotel as far north on Michigan Avenue as you can afford, get a pizza at Giardano's, (if you are staying the weekend, have brunch at Rose's across the street), and get the unlimited subway pass to get anywhere from Wrigley to Comiskey Park. I envy you

cajunken.sixpack

Feb 4, 2015
Put an extra jacket in your suitcase just in case the wind turns NE off the lake. It can go from sweltering to freezing in quick and your better half will try to steal as much clothing as she can from you while demanding you find a parka.

TRUTH!!

I am not joking about the cold. Night game. People were enjoying the tee shirt and shorts warm evening when suddenly a huge fog bank rolled off the lake from the North and the temps just plummeted sending everyone scarring for sweatshirts and blankets at the shops in the concourse. Blankets and warm throws sold out in minutes. Luckiy my family was originally from that area so I was prepared somewhat and got a nice Cubby plush throw blanket for two to bring home.

100% Accurate. We went for Mother's Day weekend in May 3-4 years ago (don't recall - too much wine). Caught the Sox game on Friday night at Comiskey in shorts and a T-shirt. The NEXT day, caught the AFTERNOON game at Wrigley and huddled under the $35 blanket we were fortunate enough to buy from the concession stand. Still have the plush blanket, same as IBMD.

jeremyrbrown

Sep 4, 2008
Slight hijack, but while we're talking about Chicago. I'm taking my 9 year old to Chicago in August for his birthday. Taking the overnight Amtrak from Memphis and arriving in Chicago around 9 am. We plan to do the Skydeck then make our way to Wrigley for a 1:20 game vs the Brewers. Anything between the Skydeck and Wrigley that is a must-do? My default is just to get to Wrigley and find a place to eat lunch before going in to the game.

doggystyle

Sep 12, 2012
Go to the rooftop bar at Trump Tower at dusk and watch the city turn to night. It’s awesome. Purple Pig restaurant!

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
Full Disclosure, here: Long time lurker. Was in grad school at State from 90 to 93, watched most baseball games from Section A, front row, living in Aggieland now in College Station . Just bought my retirement property at Lake Caroline in Madison, and plan to build in three years.

With all that said, Chicago is one of my top three favorite cities in the US. Get a hotel as far north on Michigan Avenue as you can afford, get a pizza at Giardano's, (if you are staying the weekend, have brunch at Rose's across the street), and get the unlimited subway pass to get anywhere from Wrigley to Comiskey Park. I envy you

Doesn't Michigan Avenue run east/west?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Yup. Wouldn't want to live there, but it's a great city to visit. A lot of places I go to I don't care about going back even if they were good. Just too many places I want to go to repeat trips. But Chicago is one of the places I will go back to.

It's going to be a shame if/when they can no longer protect Chicago from its voters.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I know Chicago gets a bad rap, but I LOVE that city. WAYYYY better than New York to me, at least. Go get a deep dish from Lou Malnati's. Lots of great areas along the Chicago River near Michigan Ave.

Chicago is a great city. I know there are areas where crime is extremely bad… but downtown and the north side of Chicago are as good as a city gets. It’s definitely my favorite “big” city in the US.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008

I love New York as well as Chicago. Both are fantastic cities to visit. Two of my favorites

G-Dawg

Sep 6, 2012
Go eat at the Cubby Bear before the game. Get an authentic Chicago Hotdog.

With a 9 year old, look for the TILT over the Magnificent Mile. Gotta do it at night though.

G-Dawg

Sep 6, 2012
Book the wrigley experience stadium tour.

My wife and I did that. It actually was the final weekend of the season that they won the World Series. Cubs were actually in Cincy that weekend so we got to do the tour. Got to sing "Take me Out to the Ballgame" in the same spot where Harry did it.

G-Dawg

Sep 6, 2012
I love New York as well as Chicago. Both are fantastic cities to visit. Two of my favorites

Yep. I felt much safer in NYC than I ever have in downtown Jackson...and I used to work downtown near the Capitol. Now, that was 10 years ago that I was in NY, so it may be much worse now.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
Yep. I felt much safer in NYC than I ever have in downtown Jackson...and I used to work downtown near the Capitol. Now, that was 10 years ago that I was in NY, so it may be much worse now.

New York
San Francisco
Chicago
the 3 great American cities IMO. Shame what’s going on with them now. I was last in SF a little prior to Covid. That was for work and I was shocked how bad it had become. Can’t imagine it now.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Great cities.

Love visiting both. I'd get frustrated with the pace and price of NYC. Couldn't live there. Chicago you can make work. I'd live there easily if I wasn't such a ***** about weather under 40 degrees.

Goals retirement plan is a small condo in downtown or north Chicago and one on the gulf coast. Rent them when I'm not using and use when the weather is right. RV to roam the national parks.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
New York
San Francisco
Chicago
the 3 great American cities IMO. Shame what’s going on with them now. I was last in SF a little prior to Covid. That was for work and I was shocked how bad it had become. Can’t imagine it now.

I can’t speak for NYC or San Francisco but Chicago is still great. I’m sure the same bad areas are still bad and maybe worse. But the good parts of the city are still good.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login