OT: Christmas appetizers/finger foods

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
One of my family gatherings, we always do soup/chili and a bunch of appetizer or finger foods. Normally I take sausage balls or captain Rodney’s dip. Looking for some ideas for something new… what are some of the pack’s favorite holiday snacks?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Pirate Dip

INGREDIENTS

• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • One 8 oz pack cream cheese
  • 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
  • 2 green onions chopped
  • 6 –10 Ritz crackers crushed
  • 8 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
  • 1/2 cup of any Captain Rodney’s Glaze

INSTRUCTIONS

• Mix mayonnaise, cream cheese, cheddar and onions in greased quiche pan.
  • Top with crackers and bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
  • Top with bacon and Captain Rodney’s Pepper Glaze.
  • Serve with crackers.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Grilled Conecuh sausage, Havarti cheese, some smoked Gouda or extra sharp cheddar cheese, pickles and Rendevous rub seasoning.

Reactions: LandDawg

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Smoked Tuna dip.

Smoke you a couple of pounds of blackfin tuna over charcoal with one or two lumps of cherry wood. I cover mine with old bay, but it doesn't seem to make much difference. Other fruit woods would be good I guess. Do not go crazy with something like hickory or, god forbid, mesquite. And you want to cook it well. So that it is dry when it comes off and crumbles in your hand when you squeeze it.

In a large bowl I put the fish, a tub of french onion dip, a good squirt of brown mustard and a jar of capers and mix that together. The part I keep for myself also gets diced jalapenos. The parts I serve or give away does not.

Serve with crackers and a spreading knife.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Pirate Dip

INGREDIENTS​

• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • One 8 oz pack cream cheese
  • 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
  • 2 green onions chopped
  • 6 –10 Ritz crackers crushed
  • 8 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
  • 1/2 cup of any Captain Rodney’s Glaze

INSTRUCTIONS​

• Mix mayonnaise, cream cheese, cheddar and onions in greased quiche pan.
  • Top with crackers and bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
  • Top with bacon and Captain Rodney’s Pepper Glaze.
  • Serve with crackers.
I’ve always called the is captain Rodney’s dip but I like pirate dip much better!

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
It is in the name after all… I definitely do like polks. I actually think my favorite smoked sausage is from Wilson’s meat market in crystal springs
Country Pleasin and Polks are like the rings given to the dwarves and men. But Conecuh is the one ring to rule them all.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Larger diameter smoked sausage cut to about an inch and a half to two inches long. Take a knife and cut lengthwise about 3/4 of the way through. Take you finger and open it up leaving a V the length of the sausage. Mix softened cream cheese and diced jalapeños and put that in a ziplock bag. Cut the corner on the bag and squeeze the cream chees/ jalapeño mix into the V in the sausage. Put the sausage in a disposable pan, top with shredded cheese. Grill or oven until hot and shredded cheese it melted. Simple, easy, and you’ll make yourself sick eating them.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
One of my family gatherings, we always do soup/chili and a bunch of appetizer or finger foods. Normally I take sausage balls or captain Rodney’s dip. Looking for some ideas for something new… what are some of the pack’s favorite holiday snacks?

Just a modification to one of your existing items….I’ve started doing sausage balls the regular way (equal parts sausage and shredded cheddar, plus Bisquick)…except I’ve started adding pickled jalepenos to the mixture before rolling the balls. Take a few spoonfuls of the jalepenos and rinse a bit, and press as much juice out as you can before mixing them in. Dice them a bit if they aren’t that way already. Mix in, bake, and enjoy. Was just experimenting with some stuff one day and I can’t do them any other way now.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007

Pig Candy (candy bacon crackers). Make sure you use thin bacon. The only problem is I’ve never been able to make enough. They are hammered immediately upon arrival. I like making some of them spicy.

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
You can thank me later.

Shrimp Dip

Ingredients:

2 cans small shrimp (drained)
2 8 oz packs cream cheese, softened
3 T onions, fine chopped
2 T green bell pepper, fine chopped
1 can cream of tomato soup
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Salt to taste

Directions:

Add all ingredients to bowl, mix well and refrigerate until served.

Serve with Ruffles potato chips

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
These cheese biscuits taste like cheese straws.

1 stick of butter
1 jar of old English cheese
10 shakes of cayenne pepper
Mix with a mixer

add 1 cup of all purpose flour
Mix with a spoon

Refrigerate for at least an hour
Make them into whatever size biscuit you want.

cook at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Sprinkle paprika.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Try Finger Blasters

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
LA Caviar

3 15 oz cans black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup chopped red onions
3T cup chopped green bell peppers
3T cup chopped red bell peppers
3T chopped yellow bell peppers
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2T honey
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper

Mix ingredients in large covered bowl. Store this covered, in refrigerator for at least 12 hours. Eat with saltine crackers.

Reactions: Mack Rebennack

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
Hot Smoked Tuna

2 - 5 oz. foil pouches of StarKist™ Smoked tuna
1/4 cup onion fine chop
2T water chestnuts fine chopped
3T mayonnaise
1/8 tsp black pepper

Chop onion and water chestnuts. Remove tuna from pouch and place in microwave bowl. Microwave (covered) 1 minute on high. Add other ingredients and stir until well mixed.Serve on warm plate with Saltine or Ritz crackers.

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
Spinach Dip

1 pkg (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1 1/2 cups sour cream 1 cup Hellman’s mayonnaise
1 pkg (1.4 oz) Knorr’s vegetable soup mix
1 can (8 oz) can water chestnuts, finely chopped

Thaw spinach and squeeze until dry. Stir all ingredients together. Cover, and chill for 2 hours. Makes 3 cups.

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
Dallas Dip

1 bunch green onions, chopped
4 tomatoes, chopped
2 cans chopped green chilis
2 cans chopped black olives
3 T garlic flavored red wine vinegar
3 T oil
1 t garlic powder

Mix all ingredients together. Chill. Serve with chips.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Baked Cream Cheese

1 block of cream cheese
1 half can of crescent rolls
Dill weed
1 egg

take half a can of crescent roll and lay it on some parchment paper with flower sprinkled on the paper. Mesh the seems of the crescent together. Sprinkle dill weed (as much as you want or as little) on top of cream cheese. Place cream cheese down on the crescent roll dough. Fold the excess dough around the cream cheese block. Flip over. Brush the dough with the egg yoke. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
Sweet and Sour Sausage Balls

2 lbs ground pork sausage

Form sausage into 1 inch balls. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove and cool.

Sauce:

1 cup garlic flavored red wine vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1 cup brown sugar
2 T soy sauce
2 t ground ginger

Combine ingredients in saucepan and bring to a boil. Add cooked sausage balls to sauce and marinate for 24 hours. Heat and serve.

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
Creamed Chipped Beef with Toasted Pecans

1/2 cup pecans
4 T butter
1 t salt
1 ½ lb cream cheese
¼ cup milk
1 jar dried beef
½ cup chopped bell pepper
1 cup grated onion
2 cup sour cream

Oven toast pecans in butter and salt. Mix cream cheese, milk, beef, green pepper and onion. Fold in sour cream and half the nuts. Place in a baking dish and sprinkle remaining nuts on top. Bake 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. Serve in chafing dish with toast points, melba rounds, bagel chips etc.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I might go with some country pleasin sausage but I like this idea.

I was 100% a Country Pleasin fan until I found Conecuh. I did use some Country Pleasin Jrs this week in some Chili and I think its the casings I don't like on CP, they seem to scorch and dry out more than Conecuh.

Sep 18, 2007
We really should have a food board, aka MeridianDog board. I kept a .txt file of recipes from here, but it died 2-3 years ago.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Came across this recipe not that long ago. Haven't tried it yet but I will this weekend.

Those look incredible, thanks for that. I now know what I will be doing Friday and Saturday during the cold spell.

Reactions: Augustus McCrae

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
We do fried cracklings, fried pork belly nuggets, and rooster fries Christmas Eve. Going to be hog killin' weather.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login