OT: CMG losing their ceo to SBUX today felt a little like losing a coach

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
I was able to move on though and bought more just like I would buy in for our beloved bulldogs when the new head coach was named. I'm sure CMG will hire a hot shot ceo and our best days will feel like they're ahead of us again....or maybe delusional thoughts. Brian Nichol is a potential GOAT.

Shaeffer to Texas comparison? We'll see*****

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Makes sense. Starbucks are in Targets and I never saw a Chipotle in a Target.

My understanding is that Targets attract game changing leadership.

Reactions: johnson86-1

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I was able to move on though and bought more just like I would buy in for our beloved bulldogs when the new head coach was named. I'm sure CMG will hire a hot shot ceo and our best days will feel like they're ahead of us again....or maybe delusional thoughts. Brian Nichol is a potential GOAT.

I don't care for Chipotle. I don't understand the affinity for it at all. Same with Starbucks. Should be an easy transition for the CEO from making average food to making average coffee.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I have no idea what the hell you just said.
That's like reading something I get from the guvment occasionally. I came to say I had no idea what that means and as maroontide said, I don't care

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
Had to do with the stocks really. I hate starbucks as a product and what they stand for, so as a Chipotle shareholder, it definitely stings.

SBUX (Starbucks) up 20% today
CMG (Chipotle) -10%

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I don't care for Chipotle. I don't understand the affinity for it at all. Same with Starbucks. Should be an easy transition for the CEO from making average food to making average coffee.
I’d argue Chipotle is way below average food, at least the only one I’ve tried (Tupelo). Gave them 3 or 4 chances and it was beyond terrible every time. I’ll never eat at another one.

Starbucks, I got no problem with them. But I just drink the basic stuff and really only get it when I’m traveling

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Two chains that both suck.
I’m not a big coffee drinker, so I’m probably not a good judge on if Starbucks sucks or not… however, I am a big Mexican/tex mex fan, and can confirm that chipotle may be the most overrated place I’ve been to. I’d take Moe’s over chipotle any day.

Reactions: HailStout

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013

napoleon dynamite GIF

Grove Sh.tter

Sep 30, 2022

I'm just glad to see you're still on the board. You called the bottom of the covid cycle perfectly. I followed your advice and fully funded one of my ira's on March 23, 2020. Keep the free, accurate advice coming!

Reactions: TheStateUofMS

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
Calm down, old man I ain't angry. I didn't post it in laymen's terms for a reason. The folks who needed to understand it did understand it. I said "OT" as well. I don't care if some folks feathers get rustled either. I'm aware it's a sports message board. Been here a long time and mostly post about stocks and financial related info if you see my post history. Been a while though.

Here's to you enjoying this year's football season!

Do you see any educated or positive responses to this? Nope, because nobody gives a rats arse on a sports message board about some cryptic stock info. What did you expect?

Reactions: Grove Sh.tter

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
I’d argue Chipotle is way below average food, at least the only one I’ve tried (Tupelo). Gave them 3 or 4 chances and it was beyond terrible every time. I’ll never eat at another one.

Starbucks, I got no problem with them. But I just drink the basic stuff and really only get it when I’m traveling
If you think SBUX has higher quality ingredients then Chipotle, it's because the Chipotle you went to has management issues, which is extremely rare as it's been the best performing S&P stock since it's IPO.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
I've never understood the love for Chipotle. Any Mexican restaurant in a former pizza Hut / former video store/ former vape shop is better than Chipotle.
Chipotle isn't a Mexican restaurant. Their menu isn't anything like a typical Mexican restaurant. It's cheaper than going to a Mexican restaurant as well.

People love it because they offer good portion sizes, it's consistent, it's reasonably priced, simple to order, it's quick, the ingredients are high quality and the Chipotle team members are usually pleasant bc they treat their employees well.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
I'm just glad to see you're still on the board. You called the bottom of the covid cycle perfectly. I followed your advice and fully funded one of my ira's on March 23, 2020. Keep the free, accurate advice coming!
I'm around and lurking. I don't post as much bc just too busy at work now.

I think it's going to be choppy for the next couple months, but use the volatility in stocks and bonds to make sure you're where you need to be allocation wise.

I don't see a deep recession. Shallow one sure could happen, but I think if Fed cuts at least .50bps in Sept (I think they should do .75%) they won't over stay their welcome. Right now Fed is dangerously close to tipping us into a weak period.

Reactions: Grove Sh.tter

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Two chains that both suck.
That’s a hell of a take. I think “suck” is a bit of a stretch. Not that you have to like either one, but product / service at both has been consistent for me. Ain’t like either one is Popeye’s.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Burrito Bars are not Mexican food. They are California food, or Cal-Mex if you prefer. (Please dint make the mere mention of California a political issue). I love a good burrito bar.

Chipotle, OTOH, used to be owned by McDonald's, and is still the McD's of Burrito Bars. I do not understand it's popularity either. They don't offer enough options, their meat is mediocre, and they charge for chips. You can't drag me to one.

I'm surprised Starbucks CEO lasted as long as he did. Profits are way down. I'm not sure it is actually the CEO's fault, but he has to shoulder the responsibility. I think inflation is killing them, which they tried to combat by cutting back on labor. No one wants to wait 15 minutes for their $6 coffee and not even get eye contact from their over-worked barista.

Starbucks used to be decent enough for a coffee shop, but it has lost its way. It's now a financial institution, laundering it's ill gotten gains through the distribution of over priced and unhealthy beverages.

But I think this thread was about investments?

Reactions: TheStateUofMS

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
Burrito Bars are not Mexican food. They are California food, or Cal-Mex if you prefer. (Please dint make the mere mention of California a political issue). I love a good burrito bar.

Chipotle, OTOH, used to be owned by McDonald's, and is still the McD's of Burrito Bars. I do not understand it's popularity either. They don't offer enough options, their meat is mediocre, and they charge for chips. You can't drag me to one.

I'm surprised Starbucks CEO lasted as long as he did. Profits are way down. I'm not sure it is actually the CEO's fault, but he has to shoulder the responsibility. I think inflation is killing them, which they tried to combat by cutting back on labor. No one wants to wait 15 minutes for their $6 coffee and not even get eye contact from their over-worked barista.

Starbucks used to be decent enough for a coffee shop, but it has lost its way. It's now a financial institution, laundering it's ill gotten gains through the distribution of over priced and unhealthy beverages.

But I think this thread was about investments?
SBUX ceo didn't last long. Less than a year I think. He tried to add new drinks to menus that folks didn't know how to make which led to more clusters at their stores and yes inflation hit them pretty hard. Coffee itself has gone way up in price as a commodity as well.

Brian Niccol will be the 3rd SBUX ceo in less than 3 years I think if you count Schultz coming back. Schultz may have had multipe come backs as ceo since he first tried to retire 2010s if memory serves me correct.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Never been to either. I heard that Chipotle is a Mexican Subway.
Nothing at all wrong with Chipotle. Very limited menu, but decent ingredients in a decent serving size for a decent price and usually quick. Very similar to Moe's but with a more limited menu. The one in Flowood stays packed.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
SBUX ceo didn't last long. Less than a year I think. He tried to add new drinks to menus that folks didn't know how to make which led to more clusters at their stores and yes inflation hit them pretty hard. Coffee itself has gone way up in price as a commodity as well.

Brian Niccol will be the 3rd SBUX ceo in less than 3 years I think if you count Schultz coming back. Schultz may have had multipe come backs as ceo since he first tried to retire 2010s if memory serves me correct.
Schulz has been CEO three times. I don't remember exactly when he stepped down last, but it was early last year, so the new guy was in charge a little over a year.

Seems hard to blame him for new products, although I don't really know how long it takes SBUX to develop new items. They have to find suppliers and everything, so I'm sure it takes a while.

The "Oleato" was 100% Schulz. Let's combine 2 known laxatives, olive oil and coffee, and watch our customers' predictable reactions. And let's put combination locks on the bathrooms!!

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
I don't go to SBUX but my wife does. It seems over the past couple years they became a cluster when it came to ordering. Some locations had +30min wait times earlier this year. Looks like they didn't even give the previous ceo another quarter to fix it. I heard a lot of it was bc the staff was all confused on making new drinks they kept screwing up orders.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login