OT - college major questions - anyone have a degree in Civil Engineering or Architecture?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Curious to hear what those with a degree in Design have used it for once out of college- specifically Civil Engineering and Architecture.

My oldest is a Jr in HS has wanted to go into Engineering for a few years now- Environmental Engineering, or some mythical degree that would allow her to save the environment while making life better for the community right out of college.
Typical teen- wants there to be some super niche and specific industry to support her heavily curated interest and cant imagine why that isnt realistic.

Anyways, she is taking a couple classes this semester that have sorta tapped into her art side(heavy on creative drawing, pottery, creating art) and has loved it. One class is Intro to CAD: Manufacturing and Engineering and the other class is a double period called Civil Engineering & Architecture. She is geeking out hard in these classes as they let her be creative in designing and building both virtually(programs) and physically(models).
For related courses, she has completed AP Bio, AP Chem, Physics, Algebra 1 and 2, and Geometry. She is currently taking AP Physics and Pre-Calc, will take the AP tests for them, and should pass fine.

Ok so considering that, does anyone with degrees in Civil Engineering or Architecture have opinions and insight on what to look for or avoid when it comes to college classes and experience?
- What did you like that we should look for?
- What was lacking or missing from your program/education that you didnt know about until after the fact?
- Insight to what is actually needed(if at all) after undergrad to get into these fields?...is grad school really needed or just sorta needed at the start(vs getting it while working)?

She is looking at Iowa State simply because its in state for cost, she will qualify for Merit incentives, and they have good Engineering(46th in US News, FWIW). And we will look at some out of state publics that have good Merit incentive as well as apply to a couple good privates and see what they offer.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Not answering your questions (I know), but the demand for Civil Engineers (think site work, land development, water resources, etc.) is huge right now. My company can't find them to hire. She can also go the Structural Engineering route, and that too is in very high demand.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
My oldest is a Jr in HS has wanted to go into Engineering for a few years now- Environmental Engineering, or some mythical degree that would allow her to save the environment while making life better for the community right out of college.
Typical teen- wants there to be some super niche and specific industry to support her heavily curated interest and cant imagine why that isnt realistic.
Environmental Engineering isnt that mythical.......

MSU's Rula School of Civil and Environmental Engineering is located in the newest engineering facility and job placement is near 100%.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Curious to hear what those with a degree in Design have used it for once out of college- specifically Civil Engineering and Architecture.

Anyways, she is taking a couple classes this semester that have sorta tapped into her art side(heavy on creative drawing, pottery, creating art) and has loved it. One class is Intro to CAD: Manufacturing and Engineering and the other class is a double period called Civil Engineering & Architecture. She is geeking out hard in these classes as they let her be creative in designing and building both virtually(programs) and physically(models).
For related courses, she has completed AP Bio, AP Chem, Physics, Algebra 1 and 2, and Geometry. She is currently taking AP Physics and Pre-Calc, will take the AP tests for them, and should pass fine.

Ok so considering that, does anyone with degrees in Civil Engineering or Architecture have opinions and insight on what to look for or avoid when it comes to college classes and experience?
- What was lacking or missing from your program/education that you didnt know about until after the fact?
- Insight to what is actually needed(if at all) after undergrad to get into these fields?...is grad school really needed or just sorta needed at the start(vs getting it while working)?

She is looking at Iowa State simply because its in state for cost, she will qualify for Merit incentives, and they have good Engineering(46th in US News, FWIW). And we will look at some out of state publics that have good Merit incentive as well as apply to a couple good privates and see what they offer.
P.E. in Environmental Engineering here. Majored in Chemical Engineering though.

First off I hate to burst her bubble. But she won't be saving the world any time soon. The world is way more ****** than most people know. The level of bureaucracy she will either have to deal with or be a part of is astounding.

In my opinion, at the undergrad level, all ABET accredited schools are about the same. The minimum standard required for this is pretty high.

Grad school would really only help if she wanted to work for EPA.

Reactions: mstateglfr

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Plenty of work for environmental engineers. What most people think of when they say "save the environment" is generally not going to be compatible with making life better for the community. But she won't have a shortage of work opportunities, whether she wants to make life better or worse for people.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007

Glfr, never saw you as a realist. Guess surprises happen every day.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
First question I have.....you say she wants to do engineering but also likes art (which sometimes may signal architect). Which one is her strength? Engineering is more numbers, realist, making things work, while architects make things look good, more of the artsy side. You do not want to go against this.

But as far as civil/environmental engineering - the environmental side is a big deal, there is a big need, and it's only going to get bigger. That's why MSU split it up to provide more environmental specific things. The water side is a big deal too, lot of money to be made there. I do tend to agree with @johnson86-1, the save the world part usually won't match up to what the clients want. Maybe if she took a job with a city/state/federal agency, she might could influence that.

But it's good that she has that plan, this early. I certainly wouldn't derail that.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

If she excels at Bio, Chem, and to a lesser extent Calculus, then Chemical Engineering should be a consideration. Lots of ways to branch off of that in a career, including environmental. If she excels more at Physics than those, then maybe consider a different Engineering major.

As far as getting into those fields, it's like everything else as it's finding your way into an entry level job. Interviewing skills and who you know more than anything else.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
BS and PE in Civil Engineering here. The best thing about a CE degree is you can take several different career paths. I took the structural & construction path.

Ok so considering that, does anyone with degrees in Civil Engineering or Architecture have opinions and insight on what to look for or avoid when it comes to college classes and experience? - One thing I will say is that Architects IMO are overpaid artist/draftsmen, they usually use engineers to flesh out their ideas. Far as classes I would emphasize taking all their math classes at a JUCO because at State the math professors were good researchers but not good teachers. Any good engineering school will have an intro class that will help you determine what direction you want to take in CEE. If your daughter is interested in Environmental Engineering she will wind up designing waste treatment plants more than saving the earth. Someone else can chime in on this but just my observation. Also save some of the electives for their last two years, you will need an easy class or two to help balance out the work load say junior or senior year.

What did you like that we should look for? - Ask if the professors have real world consulting experience rather than just research/educational experience. Most of my professors at State were very good at relating how what was being taught in the classroom would translate to real word applications. I have engineering friends from other schools that feel like their education did not properly prepare them because of this. Ask what the percentage of their students pass the FE and PE exams on the first attempt. I feel like this is a direct correlational between knowing the numbers but not understanding real world applications.

What was lacking or missing from your program/education that you didn't know about until after the fact?
-
Honestly I feel like my education at State properly prepared me for my career. I would look if their program has some type of excel, computer design and CAD introduction. This will really help them advance early in their career.

Insight to what is actually needed(if at all) after undergrad to get into these fields?...is grad school really needed or just sorta needed at the start(vs getting it while working)? - My experience on having a masters degree will only help your pay-grade if you wanted to take a government type job (DOT ACOE or EPA) or will give you an advantage if they are looking at a highly competitive position. They will learn a lot in that first job that will stick with them and shape them into an engineer better than a masters degree.

If your daughter is at all interested in going to state there are children of alumni scholarships that will help bring the tuition down to in state levels.

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
Another PE in CE here. I wanted to be an architect though one year in JUCO. I saw State's curriculum, and the only math class it had on it was college algebra, I believe. I wanted the creativity of architecture, but also liked the math of engineering.

I went the CE route and discovered that you can do so many different things with a CE degree, and there are so many job opportunities.

As for after undergrad, I don't think getting a masters is worth it, unless you find a real specific thing you want to specialize in or you want to do research. In the government sector, having a masters doesn't seem to advance careers as much as other factors. A PE is a must.

Reactions: mstateglfr

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
Environmental engineeering is a viable career. It would be important for her to pass the FE and PE exams when they are taken.

it’s less about saving the planet and more about helping corporations pollute legally.

Reactions: RockyDog

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
I’m also a ChemE by degree and a PE in environmental engineering.

I’ll echo what others have said. Jobs in that field are plentiful but saving the world is somewhat of a pipe dream.

I don’t want to get political on either side of the aisle. But as we stand at this moment in time, a big focus of the current administration is environmental justice. So if she were wanting to make an impact, getting into the EPA and focusing on that aspect could be a possibility.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I have a history degree and make a lot of money. I can't spell and I can't do math very well. I am paid for what I have learned in my industry. Just saying. I am not really smart, so it sounds funny that I am paid for what I know and not for what I do.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Far as classes I would emphasize taking all their math classes at a JUCO because at State the math professors were good researchers but not good teachers.

The math profs at State were a mixed bag when I was there— some could teach to good ole boys (or at least this one) and some couldn’t.

JUCO is definitely a good route to get the math out of the way. A part of me kind of wishes I had done that too and be closer to being an engineer as I had intended…

I had gotten my Physics classes out of the way the summer after my freshman year at State by taking them at JCJC…

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I have a history degree and make a lot of money. I can't spell and I can't do math very well. I am paid for what I have learned in my industry. Just saying. I am not really smart, so it sounds funny that I am paid for what I know and not for what I do.
When you’re good at what you do, you’ll eventually get paid well and like you my degrees are in non-science fields…

You might have to hustle for a few years though…

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
When you’re good at what you do, you’ll eventually get paid well and like you my degrees are in non-science fields…

You might have to hustle for a few years though…
I could have retired this past February with a dang good pension. The longer I go the better it will be. I am hoping interest rates will go down. High interest negatively affects define benefit plans. I might retire in three years and go to law school. Then take what I know about my industry and go after other companies knowing what they do. *******

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Environmental engineeering is a viable career. It would be important for her to pass the FE and PE exams when they are taken.

it’s less about saving the planet and more about helping corporations pollute legally.
Excellent way of putting it, especially on the legal polluting.

I also haven't seen the benefit of master's or higher unless you wanted to be on faculty at a university. I've seen some people get the MBA, but don't know the benefit there either, unless it makes it easier to get hired here and there.

Reactions: LocalBeachBum

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I could have retired this past February with a dang good pension. The longer I go the better it will be. I am hoping interest rates will go down. High interest negatively affects define benefit plans. I might retire in three years and go to law school. Then take what I know about my industry and go after other companies knowing what they do. *******
I’ve mentioned it before but I’m on the PERS retirement plus private income route.

I was expecting to work for the state for another ten years and that’s about the time I would like to be with my current employer…

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005

I don't have the degrees myself, but my oldest son has an Architecture degree from state. He was very similar to your daughter at that age. He was into engineering (my dad was a civil engineer). But he also took gifted visual arts from 5th grade up. In high school he had an amazing art teacher that got him even more into art. His first semester at state he majored in engineering with a minor in art. After one semester he switched to architecture and caught up with his class over the summer. His program was a great blend of art and the science of design that was right up his alley. He did spend huge amounts of time in Giles Hall. He practically lived there for 4 years. He also used his electives to get more art. With his degree, he was immediately employable as soon as he graduated (architecture is a 5 year program). He went to work for a small firm out of state, and last year he was admitted to AIA (licensed architect. generally takes 3 to 5 years to get this after graduation, and you need it to practice independently). He absolutely loves his work, and still does pottery on the side.

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021

I also haven't seen the benefit of master's or higher unless you wanted to be on faculty at a university. I've seen some people get the MBA, but don't know the benefit there either, unless it makes it easier to get hired here and there.
Some companies will promote you to management with any masters degree

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Some companies will promote you to management with any masters degree
What type of company? Most private companies I know of promote you two ways: having a niche knowledge element or specialty that the company doesn't have, or you are bringing in work and making profit. This is of course after you gain entry, do good work on time, then prove you can manage projects. After that, it's one of the two ways above, or you stagnate.

Usually the entry is a civil engineering degree, then ultimately your PE so you can stamp plans. I know one guy who was wasn't an engineer and was working for a treatment plan (not sure his story, but he was sharp). Company ID'ed him while working for him, hired him, paid for his engineering degree, and he's now the #2 guy in charge.

It's all about that money, after a few years in.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
when I was in college there was a guy going to engineer school, don't remember what type but he was retired out of the NAVY. He ran the nuke reactors on ship for 20 years. To get a job in the private sector to do what he did in the NAVY he had to have a certain engineer degree.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Mechanical engineering
Never really did much design outside of some plant layouts

If I had it to do over again I’d get mechanical engineering degree with a minor or double in civil or electrical

Tske programming classes that are relatable to manufacturing

A smart hard working female with a decent personality can go a long way in today’s environment bc they are dying for diversity.

But I’d consider getting into some sort of lucrative sales dealing with equipment/manufacuring.

buddy worked for ibm and made bank

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Out of curiosity, what do you do?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

The MBA is only for getting hired or promotions. 80%

20% is good for time value of money, investment/roi examples and some understanding of P&Ls.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I’m not an engineer, per se, but I was a tenured professor of government at Harvard, and I did plenty of “engineering” in my post-Harvard career. Pursuing an education in government served me well.

Aug 15, 2011
Engineering is more math oriented while architecture is more art oriented. If she really likes art, she might want to head towards architecture or landscape architecture. Honestly, what they teach you in engineering is a very very basic understanding of the field. The coursework could be cut in half. A lot of it is just fluff, so she won't be saving the world right out of college. The colleges are now pushing the corporations or governmental departments to really teach students through the co-op program, which I would suggest she do if she goes into the field. It will help her really learn and develop contacts for a future job.

Last edited:

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
What type of company? Most private companies I know of promote you two ways: having a niche knowledge element or specialty that the company doesn't have, or you are bringing in work and making profit. This is of course after you gain entry, do good work on time, then prove you can manage projects. After that, it's one of the two ways above, or you stagnate.

Usually the entry is a civil engineering degree, then ultimately your PE so you can stamp plans. I know one guy who was wasn't an engineer and was working for a treatment plan (not sure his story, but he was sharp). Company ID'ed him while working for him, hired him, paid for his engineering degree, and he's now the #2 guy in charge.

It's all about that money, after a few years in.
The government. A few of the consultants out there, an a former O&G company I worked for. Environmental Consultants like people with masters because it enhances the statement of qualifications.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
I’m a Mechanical Engineer by degree (Minor Finance)

I work for a large corporation in the SE - I primarily perform financial modeling and analysis on projects and help negotiate any of the potential contracts that would benefit the corp

I spend a lot of time with environmental attorneys - both internal and external counsel - it’s exhausting and we get a lot of NOs (I swear attorneys and accountants run the world) BUT I’ve always said if I did it over I’d become an attorney focused on environmental law and regulations

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
when I was in college there was a guy going to engineer school, don't remember what type but he was retired out of the NAVY. He ran the nuke reactors on ship for 20 years. To get a job in the private sector to do what he did in the NAVY he had to have a certain engineer degree.

That is a NRC/NUREG (Nuclear Regulatory Commission) requirements and trust me you can't make exceptions from those standards. I work in nuclear power generation stations from time to time and it fascinates me to no end. Eventhoug the principles of a reactor on a vessel and a power plant are the same the responsiblities are much diffrent. I know guys that have traied for years (depositions, exams, trails and simulations) to be opperators and could't get licensed and wound up in plant engineering.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Environmental Engineering isnt that mythical.......

MSU's Rula School of Civil and Environmental Engineering is located in the newest engineering facility and job placement is near 100%.

Sorry, I meant mythical in that she wants to do some things but not everything that is part of a typical discipline. And also mythical in the idea that the world will be saved. Just joking about how so many kids that age want only the good and none of the bad(what they arent interested in).
...though most adults are the same, now that I phrase things this way.

Definitely aware Environmental Engineering exists, didnt mean to suggest otherwise.

Reactions: Duke Humphrey

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
That is a NRC/NUREG (Nuclear Regulatory Commission) requirements and trust me you can't make exceptions from those standards. I work in nuclear power generation stations from time to time and it fascinates me to no end. Eventhoug the principles of a reactor on a vessel and a power plant are the same the responsiblities are much diffrent. I know guys that have traied for years (depositions, exams, trails and simulations) to be opperators and could't get licensed and wound up in plant engineering.
This was 30 years ago.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
First question I have.....you say she wants to do engineering but also likes art (which sometimes may signal architect). Which one is her strength? Engineering is more numbers, realist, making things work, while architects make things look good, more of the artsy side. You do not want to go against this.

But as far as civil/environmental engineering - the environmental side is a big deal, there is a big need, and it's only going to get bigger. That's why MSU split it up to provide more environmental specific things. The water side is a big deal too, lot of money to be made there. I do tend to agree with @johnson86-1, the save the world part usually won't match up to what the clients want. Maybe if she took a job with a city/state/federal agency, she might could influence that.

But it's good that she has that plan, this early. I certainly wouldn't derail that.
It's not that it doesn't line up with what clients want. It won't be save the world stuff but if she is working in private practice she will have plenty of opportunities to help make the world a better place. It's that most people that have that attitude have no concept of cost/benefits and are plenty willing to harm people if it gives them the warm and fuzzies. If she wants to make the world a worse place while feeling good about doing it, government is definitely the place to be.

ll Martain ll

Oct 5, 2014
If she REALLY wants to do something along the lines of environmental engineering, I would lean towards mechanical or possibly civil. At least in the building world, most of the sustainable talks are about energy usage and embodied carbon, much of which is out of an architect's control. Mechanical engineering is also extremely versatile, and career paths can go a lot of different ways

Architects like to think we're on the leading edge of environmental consciousness, but inherently building new buildings on undeveloped land is NOT environmentally friendly and never will be--we're just trying to be less bad about it. Architects ultimately do what the owner is willing to pay for--and environmental friendly stuff is usually the first to get cut because it's not cheap. If she's serious about wanting to help the environment and insists on the architecture route, the best thing she can do is be a preservation architect and learn how to save and renovate existing buildings.

Architecture is a pretty fulfilling career, at least for me. School is extremely different than practice, and it does take a couple years in the real world to find your niche.

My advice would be if she does go architecture, make sure it's a accredited 5 year program (like MSU is) and not a 4 year grad school feeder because those 4 year architecture degrees are almost worthless.

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012
Out of curiosity, what do you do?
As another person with a history degree - BA from MSU, MA elsewhere - Always interested in what crazy places we wind up.
I worked in Historic Preservation and Museums for 20 years before moving into City Planning.

Having worked with with and hired a number of architects, CE's, and Env. Engs, and living in a Coastal area - there will be a big demand for people working with community resiliency issues related to sea level rise and how communities plan for it and attempt to address it. We are just really starting to think about it here in coastal GA, and it is changing a lot of ideas about the viability of coastal communities.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I don't have the degrees myself, but my oldest son has an Architecture degree from state. He was very similar to your daughter at that age. He was into engineering (my dad was a civil engineer). But he also took gifted visual arts from 5th grade up. In high school he had an amazing art teacher that got him even more into art. His first semester at state he majored in engineering with a minor in art. After one semester he switched to architecture and caught up with his class over the summer. His program was a great blend of art and the science of design that was right up his alley. He did spend huge amounts of time in Giles Hall. He practically lived there for 4 years. He also used his electives to get more art. With his degree, he was immediately employable as soon as he graduated (architecture is a 5 year program). He went to work for a small firm out of state, and last year he was admitted to AIA (licensed architect. generally takes 3 to 5 years to get this after graduation, and you need it to practice independently). He absolutely loves his work, and still does pottery on the side.
Damn, thats eerily similar!

Reactions: Villagedawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
BS and PE in Civil Engineering here. The best thing about a CE degree is you can take several different career paths. I took the structural & construction path.

Ok so considering that, does anyone with degrees in Civil Engineering or Architecture have opinions and insight on what to look for or avoid when it comes to college classes and experience? - One thing I will say is that Architects IMO are overpaid artist/draftsmen, they usually use engineers to flesh out their ideas. Far as classes I would emphasize taking all their math classes at a JUCO because at State the math professors were good researchers but not good teachers. Any good engineering school will have an intro class that will help you determine what direction you want to take in CEE. If your daughter is interested in Environmental Engineering she will wind up designing waste treatment plants more than saving the earth. Someone else can chime in on this but just my observation. Also save some of the electives for their last two years, you will need an easy class or two to help balance out the work load say junior or senior year.

What did you like that we should look for? - Ask if the professors have real world consulting experience rather than just research/educational experience. Most of my professors at State were very good at relating how what was being taught in the classroom would translate to real word applications. I have engineering friends from other schools that feel like their education did not properly prepare them because of this. Ask what the percentage of their students pass the FE and PE exams on the first attempt. I feel like this is a direct correlational between knowing the numbers but not understanding real world applications.

What was lacking or missing from your program/education that you didn't know about until after the fact? - Honestly I feel like my education at State properly prepared me for my career. I would look if their program has some type of excel, computer design and CAD introduction. This will really help them advance early in their career.

Insight to what is actually needed(if at all) after undergrad to get into these fields?...is grad school really needed or just sorta needed at the start(vs getting it while working)? - My experience on having a masters degree will only help your pay-grade if you wanted to take a government type job (DOT ACOE or EPA) or will give you an advantage if they are looking at a highly competitive position. They will learn a lot in that first job that will stick with them and shape them into an engineer better than a masters degree.

If your daughter is at all interested in going to state there are children of alumni scholarships that will help bring the tuition down to in state levels.
Thank you for this detailed response. It, along with a ton of the other responses here, is huge.

I took the long route at State to get marketing and communications degree. My wife was a Religious Studies history major and went to law school. We are comically out of our depth when it comes to helping this kid with our college experiences. This thread was more helpful than 10 hours of googling around.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
P.E. in Environmental Engineering here. Majored in Chemical Engineering though.

First off I hate to burst her bubble. But she won't be saving the world any time soon. The world is way more ****** than most people know. The level of bureaucracy she will either have to deal with or be a part of is astounding.

In my opinion, at the undergrad level, all ABET accredited schools are about the same. The minimum standard required for this is pretty high.

Grad school would really only help if she wanted to work for EPA.
ABET? Cool- ends up ISU's Engineering programs are ABET accredited. Hadnt heard of that before, thanks.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login