OT - college major questions - anyone have a degree in Civil Engineering or Architecture?

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
When you’re good at what you do, you’ll eventually get paid well and like you my degrees are in non-science fields…

You might have to hustle for a few years though…
Exactly. Had a couple of good ones, followed by one total nut, and then a German that wore green socks and sandals and kept telling us to <extreme German accent>INTEGRATE BY BRUTE-FORCE</extreme German accent>.

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's not that it doesn't line up with what clients want. It won't be save the world stuff but if she is working in private practice she will have plenty of opportunities to help make the world a better place. It's that most people that have that attitude have no concept of cost/benefits and are plenty willing to harm people if it gives them the warm and fuzzies. If she wants to make the world a worse place while feeling good about doing it, government is definitely the place to be.
My experience is the opposite. Private is where you're looking to make profit and keep clients happy, thus decisions are based on that. Government is where the rules are made to 'save the world'.

You need both.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Some companies will promote you to management with any masters degree

What type of company? Most private companies I know of promote you two ways: having a niche knowledge element or specialty that the company doesn't have, or you are bringing in work and making profit.

Y'all have worked with/around better companies than most. From my experience and nearly every body I know, most promotions are based on nepotism, cronyism, or good old fashioned áss kissing.*

Last edited:
Reactions: LocalBeachBum

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
If Civil Service is a potential future career choice, some agencies require PE license to move into management or to reach full working level. All depends on which agency though.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
I’m a Mechanical Engineer by degree (Minor Finance)

I work for a large corporation in the SE - I primarily perform financial modeling and analysis on projects and help negotiate any of the potential contracts that would benefit the corp

I spend a lot of time with environmental attorneys - both internal and external counsel - it’s exhausting and we get a lot of NOs (I swear attorneys and accountants run the world) BUT I’ve always said if I did it over I’d become an attorney focused on environmental law and regulations
I'm an accountant and I don't run jack. Money is alright though if numbers are your thing.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Curious to hear what those with a degree in Design have used it for once out of college- specifically Civil Engineering and Architecture.

My oldest is a Jr in HS has wanted to go into Engineering for a few years now- Environmental Engineering, or some mythical degree that would allow her to save the environment while making life better for the community right out of college.
Typical teen- wants there to be some super niche and specific industry to support her heavily curated interest and cant imagine why that isnt realistic.

Anyways, she is taking a couple classes this semester that have sorta tapped into her art side(heavy on creative drawing, pottery, creating art) and has loved it. One class is Intro to CAD: Manufacturing and Engineering and the other class is a double period called Civil Engineering & Architecture. She is geeking out hard in these classes as they let her be creative in designing and building both virtually(programs) and physically(models).
For related courses, she has completed AP Bio, AP Chem, Physics, Algebra 1 and 2, and Geometry. She is currently taking AP Physics and Pre-Calc, will take the AP tests for them, and should pass fine.

Ok so considering that, does anyone with degrees in Civil Engineering or Architecture have opinions and insight on what to look for or avoid when it comes to college classes and experience?
- What did you like that we should look for?
- What was lacking or missing from your program/education that you didnt know about until after the fact?
- Insight to what is actually needed(if at all) after undergrad to get into these fields?...is grad school really needed or just sorta needed at the start(vs getting it while working)?

She is looking at Iowa State simply because its in state for cost, she will qualify for Merit incentives, and they have good Engineering(46th in US News, FWIW). And we will look at some out of state publics that have good Merit incentive as well as apply to a couple good privates and see what they offer.
Architecture.

There are 3 paths in architecture.
1. Like southern Miss' program is an Architectural Design program, once you pass you cannot be an Architect with that degree. It produces basically draftsmen.
2. Bachelor in Architecture programs are 5 years like MSU's. You are not limited in any way in the profession of architecture with this degree. You cannot be a tenured professor without a masters, but practicing is much better and way more profitable.
3. What they call the 4+2 path. A bunch of programs that do not off the B_Arch degree are known as 4+2 where you go to undergrad for 4 years but have to go to grad school.

All the SEC schools have good programs.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
My experience is the opposite. Private is where you're looking to make profit and keep clients happy, thus decisions are based on that. Government is where the rules are made to 'save the world'.

You need both.
Private is where people are trying to do things that add value for people. Government is where you do things that destroy value. There are exceptions on both sides, but as a general rule, that's much closer than yours.

ETA: I can't tell you how many projects I've dealt with where bureaucrats fought tooth and nail and went beyond just requiring that the law be complied with when they were finally done, there was no negative impact (except for all the resources wasted). And of course there are many more projects that would make peoples' lives better that never get off the ground because a misguided bureaucrat measures their self worth by how much interference they pose.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
I'll suggest an alternative path to consider, depending on how much the "saving the world" part means to her.

What you're describing is going to be closer to the kind of basic and applied research that leads to changing or creating new processes and applications - that's usually going to be an academic at an R1 institution. Could be a PhD in engineering, biochem, environmental science, etc.

That's the path I took (in a different field), and I usually advise even my most talented students against it unless they they are consumed by their field.

While you can do quite well if you can get the grants and a tenure track position at a good university, pursuing graduate training, particularly the PhD, means you are essentially in limbo for 5 years while the rest of your cohort are establishing that early career position and moving up the ladder, starting families, buying that first home, etc. That's followed by 6-10 years chasing tenure, if you are really lucky.

Just from a demographics standpoint (shrinking student pool) I would think long and hard before I considered an academic position.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Private is where people are trying to do things that add value for people. Government is where you do things that destroy value. There are exceptions on both sides, but as a general rule, that's much closer than yours.

ETA: I can't tell you how many projects I've dealt with where bureaucrats fought tooth and nail and went beyond just requiring that the law be complied with when they were finally done, there was no negative impact (except for all the resources wasted). And of course there are many more projects that would make peoples' lives better that never get off the ground because a misguided bureaucrat measures their self worth by how much interference they pose.
Destroy? That's high level cynicism. Bad private industry or bad government can destroy value.

When working correctly, i.e. well regulated capitalism, both add value. Privatizing everything is a bad thing.

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
BS and PE in Civil Engineering here. The best thing about a CE degree is you can take several different career paths. I took the structural & construction path.

Ok so considering that, does anyone with degrees in Civil Engineering or Architecture have opinions and insight on what to look for or avoid when it comes to college classes and experience? - One thing I will say is that Architects IMO are overpaid artist/draftsmen, they usually use engineers to flesh out their ideas. Far as classes I would emphasize taking all their math classes at a JUCO because at State the math professors were good researchers but not good teachers. Any good engineering school will have an intro class that will help you determine what direction you want to take in CEE. If your daughter is interested in Environmental Engineering she will wind up designing waste treatment plants more than saving the earth. Someone else can chime in on this but just my observation. Also save some of the electives for their last two years, you will need an easy class or two to help balance out the work load say junior or senior year.

What did you like that we should look for? - Ask if the professors have real world consulting experience rather than just research/educational experience. Most of my professors at State were very good at relating how what was being taught in the classroom would translate to real word applications. I have engineering friends from other schools that feel like their education did not properly prepare them because of this. Ask what the percentage of their students pass the FE and PE exams on the first attempt. I feel like this is a direct correlational between knowing the numbers but not understanding real world applications.

What was lacking or missing from your program/education that you didn't know about until after the fact? - Honestly I feel like my education at State properly prepared me for my career. I would look if their program has some type of excel, computer design and CAD introduction. This will really help them advance early in their career.

Insight to what is actually needed(if at all) after undergrad to get into these fields?...is grad school really needed or just sorta needed at the start(vs getting it while working)? - My experience on having a masters degree will only help your pay-grade if you wanted to take a government type job (DOT ACOE or EPA) or will give you an advantage if they are looking at a highly competitive position. They will learn a lot in that first job that will stick with them and shape them into an engineer better than a masters degree.

If your daughter is at all interested in going to state there are children of alumni scholarships that will help bring the tuition down to in state levels.
Lot of good advice here. I will add that I highly recommend the co-op program.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Lot of good advice here. I will add that I highly recommend the co-op program.
My son was in Mechanical Engineering, but I also HIGHLY recommend the co-op program. He grew up on his co-ops (he did three with two companies). He also added some very valuable lines to his resume. That along with some stellar, but not perfect, grades led to a masters from a world class university, and jobs at two enormous companies. He is well on his way. You can achieve whatever you want at MSU, if you have the talent and put the work in.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
If she “truly” wants to save the world, waste water. Or go out to California and teach those stupid bastards how to build catch ponds to save run off.

After she gets her CE degree from MSU the first place she should visit is Australia. They are light years ahead of us in all things water. The future of CE is water capture.

landscpdog

Feb 25, 2008
Someone else touched on it but you should have her look at Landscape Architecture. It is really more in line with what you are describing. Most states allow LA’s to perform anything that a civil can do and it is also a STEM discipline. MSU has a great program. My kid is going to follow in my footsteps and head to State next fall AFTER thinking the engineering and then architecture path was the way he wanted to go. I would suggest checking out this website for more information on LA. https://www.asla.org/.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
ABET? Cool- ends up ISU's Engineering programs are ABET accredited. Hadnt heard of that before, thanks.
Here is a link to becoming an Engineer Intern and PE in Alabama. You can see how much more is required from a graduate of a non ABET school than an ABET school. Personally I have doubts I would even hire a non ABED graduate without experience for an entry level job.

Also if she goes Civil, she will just about have to get her PE if she ever wants to advance.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

You need both.
You need to regulate externalities but that's not what most of the time is spent on. The manpower is spent on the ridiculous stuff largely. We are way past the point of diminishing returns in the US. We'd be much better off spending that money trying to subsidize basic environmental protection in poorer countries. The amount of money we spend on "recycling" to ship trash around so that it can end up in rivers and oceans could pay to actually landfill our trash and pay to clean up water in poorer areas. If you're worried about CO2, we would be way better served to divert a lot of those resources to clean carbon tech for China and India, b/c they are not going to sacrifice their already relatively poor quality of life.

If you really want to make the world a better place and want to work in government, the only way is to largely go in their and push against the culture on everything. Presumably you can't advance while doing that so you'll pretty much be just trying to do marginally less harm than the person who would otherwise be doing your job would do and hope that you eventually progress enough to actually move the needle on doing reasonable cost benefit analyses.

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
Any “world changing” right now is likely going to be energy-related. Certainly it will take all kinds, but I look for chemical engineers to be at the forefront. Electrical, too. These aren’t artsy disciplines, but creativity plays well across them all.

Reactions: Crazy Cotton
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login