OT: Cooking Thermometer

Augustus McCrae

Aug 25, 2012
I'm in the market for a new thermometer for my grill/smoker. I had a Weber iGrill in the past and liked it for the most part but sometimes it would randomly lose connection to my phone. I've been looking at getting a Meater (https://meater.com) and was curious if anyone has one. Thoughts? Other brands?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I'm in the market for a new thermometer for my grill/smoker. I had a Weber iGrill in the past and liked it for the most part but sometimes it would randomly lose connection to my phone. I've been looking at getting a Meater (https://meater.com) and was curious if anyone has one. Thoughts? Other brands?
Those are supposed to be really good. I’ve had a thermo pro for a while now and it works well but you can’t go wrong with a meater.

Reactions: Augustus McCrae

msualohadog

Oct 25, 2014
I'll chime in. I got one for Christmas and I don't like it. It is too thick and you can only use it for larger cuts of meat. I tried to use it for some ribeyes but, again, it was too thick. Cooked some ribs and didn't even try to use it. It did work well for my boston butt. They also don't tell you this, but you have to leave the little wooden box storage thing within 10 ft of the probe (i.e. on the grill). The transmitter to your phone comes from the box, not the thermometer. It rained and I was afraid the little box would get wet and not work. It ended up working through the rain, but I was constantly checking the box to make sure it was working.

My son with limited income bought a no-name digital thermometer on Amazon for $16. It works great. I ended up buying the one he has and my Meater is in the drawer now. I do plan to use it next time I cook a butt.

Sorry, hope this helps.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I'll chime in. I got one for Christmas and I don't like it. It is too thick and you can only use it for larger cuts of meat. I tried to use it for some ribeyes but, again, it was too thick. Cooked some ribs and didn't even try to use it. It did work well for my boston butt.

Got one for Christmas myself and sent it back before using. Once reading the instructions it is very specific on the depth to prevent damage (Twss) and the diameter of the prope is huge (Twss again.) I bet it looks like someone shot your brisket with a .270 when you use that sucker.

For a good reliable no frills thermometer I like my Maverick. Mine is 5+ years old and works great. Just take the remote in the house and have a prove in the meat and one on the grill. I only cook on an offset or Kamado so leaving the house and using an app is probably pointless anyway.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
I have owned the iGrill, Meater and the Thermoworks Signals with the bellows. For me the iGrill is obsolete because it uses Bluetooth rather than wifi.

Far as the meater it has it uses and does it well but the probe is very thick and only does well in meat 2" and thicker. I use it for finishing a large steak, when maintaining a constant long term temp isn't an issue or cooking in the oven. The App is top notch and I like the feature of an estimated cook time. If you are worried about the box getting wet jut put it in a ziplock bag. There are a few knock offs on amazon but your not really paying for the device but more for the app and it's longevity.

I would highly recommend thermoworks and just about everything they offer is made to be used in commercial kitchens. The Signals is the head unit that connects via wifi and I can monitor my cook even if I'm not connected to the same network. The bellows is a fan that connects to the head unit and maintains the smoker temp. I can literally set it up and walk away and not have to baby it all day. I was checking in on my ribs while I made a Costco run this weekend. You can tell the app doesn't have all the bells and whistles and geared towards commercial use. The probes are long/thin and work in everything from roasts to ribs.
https://www.thermoworks.com/signals/

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I have a Meater. Works well. Keep some 1000-grit sandpaper in the box with it. If you smoke, the tiny bit of soot that gets on the charging end of the probe will lose contact with the charger. Lightly scuffing it will bring it back to life. The software is the best thing about the Meater. Their app is excellent.

As others have said, at Thermoworks Thermapen is worth it. Get the $100 version (insta read). I use it way more than my Meaters. You can find discounts codes for them all over the interweb.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Thermoworks has been consistently high quality for me. Other stuff pretty hit and miss.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login