OT: CPI

Status
Not open for further replies.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
NASDAQ futures up nearly 2% after the report. This should be the top of the CPI reading for 2022. Here’s the breakdown by category. Look at how big of a jump we’ve seen in fuel / gas since Russia invaded:

[TWEET]1513863268875526149[/TWEET]

Last edited:

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
View attachment 24258

8.5%

I will dig into the components in a few hours and make a call on whether or not this is the peak, but with housing lag and Russia oil embargo, prolly not.

My guy BB to enter the chat soon from his deluxe apartment in the sky with a:

View attachment 24259

Lol, here I come.

Core at 0.3. Headline not showing April's drop in gas prices. Blaring signs that it's transitory and we shouldn't overreact, but of course we will. Odds of an induced recession just significantly went up.

Here's where you can actually look at the long term trend of select actual goods. It doesn't show what JoeLeeInflationista is trying to sell. It shows that we have a years-long run-up in price of certain supply constrained goods. Other goods, no run up in price. That's still a problem, but it's not a problem that jacking up interest rates can solve. So I'm not saying nothing to see here, I'm actually saying it's worse. We have allowed unheard of amounts of market consolidation, and this is the bill for that starting to come due. Monopolies don't respond well to market disruptions, they just jack prices and keep on keeping on. Free markets innovate and solve the problem, but we don't have one anymore.

ETA: whoops, forgot the link
https://www.bls.gov/charts/consumer-price-index/consumer-price-index-average-price-data.htm

Last edited:

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
Things aren’t getting more expensive. Our currency is being devalued. When the electorate realizes this, then it can be addressed. Probably won’t until it’s too late.

And there's where all this crap comes from. It's where it always comes from. A DECADES long obsession that inflation is coming, any minute now, that they finally have something to hang their hat on and they won't let it pass by no matter how much it doesn't actually fit their theory.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
The core reading (0.3% vs 0.5% expected) was definitely a big positive in today’s report. No doubt.

On the jobs side though - the BLS has had issues collecting info. Which has resulted in underreporting job growth (large monthly revisions). Hopefully that’s not just some missing data, and it’s a real slow down.

Last edited:

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
If lumber was the canary in the coalmine on inflation, it has lost 35% of its value in less than a month. (JLS I know you know this but others likely don't)

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Lol, here I come.

Core at 0.3. Headline not showing April's drop in gas prices. Blaring signs that it's transitory and we shouldn't overreact, but of course we will. Odds of an induced recession just significantly went up.

Here's where you can actually look at the long term trend of select actual goods. It doesn't show what JoeLeeInflationista is trying to sell. It shows that we have a years-long run-up in price of certain supply constrained goods. Other goods, no run up in price. That's still a problem, but it's not a problem that jacking up interest rates can solve. So I'm not saying nothing to see here, I'm actually saying it's worse. We have allowed unheard of amounts of market consolidation, and this is the bill for that starting to come due. Monopolies don't respond well to market disruptions, they just jack prices and keep on keeping on. Free markets innovate and solve the problem, but we don't have one anymore.

ETA: whoops, forgot the link
https://www.bls.gov/charts/consumer-price-index/consumer-price-index-average-price-data.htm

We have both. We have inflation due to monetary and fiscal policy, and we have price increases due to supply shocks caused largely by supply chain issues. The supply chain issues make it difficult to address the monetary issues.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Not trying to defend Biden or blame the world’s problems on Trump, but we significantly devalued our dollar while Trump was in office, especially that last year while he was trying to save his second term chances. Your chart looks like this started with Biden.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Fuel up 18.3% and overall energy up 11%. That's 32% in that sector YOY.
Food up 1%. 8.8% YOY.
Saying the worst is behind us doesn't mean things will get better. Just means they'll get worse at a slower rate.

BigDog72.sixpack

Nov 5, 2012
No one is talking about the Chinese lockdowns and how this will hit us in the coming months. This will only help that inflation number keep rising. Even after covid, we're still knee deep into that country. Stay tuned for this.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
NASDAQ futures up nearly 2% after the report. This should be the top of the CPI reading for 2022. Here’s the breakdown by category. Look at how big of a jump we’ve seen in fuel / gas since Russia invaded:

[TWEET]1513863268875526149[/TWEET]

I wish I kept better records because that seems low to me. Our grocery spending from first quarter of last year to first quarter of this year is up 11.6%. But we've downgraded our spending a decent amount, not just substituted between equivalents. Eating out is only up 6.7% 1q of 2021 to 1q of 2022, but we've basically dropped eating out and that is just picking up cheap stuff like Mexican or pizza. Can't really compare without knowing how our habits have changed, but I think we actually get more of our meals from pickup than we used to get from eating out and are actually buying fewer groceries because we're being more conscientious about not wasting food.

Gas seems right. quarter to quarter comparison shows 48% change and I don't think our driving habits have changed significantly if at all. Rent seems low. When we have tenant changeover, we've been increasing rents more like 7-10%. From what I can tell, apartment complexes are increasing rent more like 20%. That's obviously a local issue though. But I would think our location would normally be below the trend on rent. I guess with a lot of cities still being idiots about covid restrictions ,maybe that's still putting downward pressure on rent.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Not trying to defend Biden or blame the world’s problems on Trump, but we significantly devalued our dollar while Trump was in office, especially that last year while he was trying to save his second term chances. Your chart looks like this started with Biden.

Printing money certainly didn't start with Biden. We had inflationary policy with trump but also had pro growth policy. Probably was still on net baking some future inflation into the cake. Biden has just been disastrous because he has paired inflationary fiscal policy with anti-growth policies while also being incompetent at things that the president actually could fix (like preventing state and local policies from creating bottleneck for interstate commerce). But certainly there are non-Biden issues and a president that had done a good job would probably still be getting raked over the coals for problems that would be half as bad.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
No one is talking about the Chinese lockdowns and how this will hit us in the coming months. This will only help that inflation number keep rising. Even after covid, we're still knee deep into that country. Stay tuned for this.

If we had functional politics, you'd see us trying to come up with a strategy for sourcing fertilizer and chips (and probably a dozen other key inputs?) from friendly countries not subject to takeover from a place like China or Russia. We'd also be making it easier to produce, transport, and refine oil/gas/petroleum in the US since we do it more cleanly. At least if you really believe we are going to transition to renewables. If you believe in peak oil and that we're going to ahve a significant degredation in quality of life due to lack of availability of economic fossil fuels, I guess you maybe want us to buy from the rest of the world and sit on our reserves.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Agreed, I wasn’t giving Biden a free pass. Probably should’ve not made my first comment, I don’t want to turn this thread into a Biden/Trump thread. Just wanted to point out that I think the chart was misleading in regards to the associated comment.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
We have both. We have inflation due to monetary and fiscal policy, and we have price increases due to supply shocks caused largely by supply chain issues. The supply chain issues make it difficult to address the monetary issues.

If you mean we have inflation due to monetary and fiscal policy (heading off a recession), then I guess you are technically correct, but it seems you are trying to imply something else.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
Printing money certainly didn't start with Biden. We had inflationary policy with trump but also had pro growth policy. Probably was still on net baking some future inflation into the cake. Biden has just been disastrous because he has paired inflationary fiscal policy with anti-growth policies while also being incompetent at things that the president actually could fix (like preventing state and local policies from creating bottleneck for interstate commerce). But certainly there are non-Biden issues and a president that had done a good job would probably still be getting raked over the coals for problems that would be half as bad.

If we had functional politics, you'd see us trying to come up with a strategy for sourcing fertilizer and chips (and probably a dozen other key inputs?) from friendly countries not subject to takeover from a place like China or Russia. We'd also be making it easier to produce, transport, and refine oil/gas/petroleum in the US since we do it more cleanly. At least if you really believe we are going to transition to renewables. If you believe in peak oil and that we're going to ahve a significant degredation in quality of life due to lack of availability of economic fossil fuels, I guess you maybe want us to buy from the rest of the world and sit on our reserves.

Isn't that what the recently passed microchip bill is supposed to do? Or is Bernie right that it's just a corporate giveaway, like the airline bailout?

Aug 22, 2012
Agreed, I wasn’t giving Biden a free pass. Probably should’ve not made my first comment, I don’t want to turn this thread into a Biden/Trump thread. Just wanted to point out that I think the chart was misleading in regards to the associated comment.

How is a chart that shows CPI from Obama's second term through Trump and into Biden misleading? Because it shows that the current administration is a dumpster fire?

Classic take. The data shows something I don't like so it's "misleading."

Aug 22, 2012

Hey dub mass, see where it almost bottoms out about 1/3 of the way through 2020. Can you muster the brain power to imagine what might have happened to start its climb?

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
How is a chart that shows CPI from Obama's second term through Trump and into Biden misleading? Because it shows that the current administration is a dumpster fire?

You talked about the the dollar being devalued and then posted a graph with “Biden” in drastically larger font than “cpi”. That made me think the chart was about the devaluation of the dollar, not CPI, starting with Biden.
No love for Biden from me, I was just calling a spade a spade. I hope you have a great day, see you at church Sunday?

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
There's just not much value in it. We see high inflation in basically every country right now (Canada, Germany, UK, etc.). It is just more expensive to produce goods in this post-Pandemic world than it was pre-Pandemic. These supply chain issues are very, very real.

Is Biden's policies driving up costs in the UK too?

Also, you got this from "Tyler Durden", right? I would be careful about that.

Aug 22, 2012
I have no idea who that is, other than the character from Fight Club.

And yes, Biden's policies in regards to Keystone XL and Nordstream have helped to drive up energy prices in UK.

ETA: Also, I enjoy it when someone looks at a verifiably true chart of data and says, well wait where did you get it from? As if the source makes the data bad. That's a fun little game.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
People are still spending. I don’t know **** about economics but it seems to me, if I have a widget that I can charge you $20 instead of $10 and everyone is still buying it. I’m gonna charge that. I see people bitching about prices but they are renovating their house, taking multiple vacations this summer, buying Wagyu briskets. I have a neighbor that complains about gas and has a spare Honda Accord because his step son went to live with his father. He still drives his GMC truck to his office job 20 miles away. If we keep spending the prices won’t go down. If we keep printing money it sure as hell won’t go down. When the recession hits I can’t wait to see everyone shift their bitching to their house value going down and their 401k taking a hit.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
If you mean we have inflation due to monetary and fiscal policy (heading off a recession), then I guess you are technically correct, but it seems you are trying to imply something else.

This is by far the greatest sentence you have ever written on SPS. Glfr must have tuned you up pretty good a few weeks back.**

View attachment 24261

Last edited:

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Last edited:

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Flooding the market with printed money. Inflation first , stagflation, then recession.
I’m ready for the stagnation. I’m tired of the poors being able to afford all inclusive vacations driving up the price. Ocho Rios is almost double what it was in 2019.****

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
People are still spending. I don’t know **** about economics but it seems to me, if I have a widget that I can charge you $20 instead of $10 and everyone is still buying it. I’m gonna charge that. I see people bitching about prices but they are renovating their house, taking multiple vacations this summer, buying Wagyu briskets. I have a neighbor that complains about gas and has a spare Honda Accord because his step son went to live with his father. He still drives his GMC truck to his office job 20 miles away. If we keep spending the prices won’t go down. If we keep printing money it sure as hell won’t go down. When the recession hits I can’t wait to see everyone shift their bitching to their house value going down and their 401k taking a hit.

This. I'll truly believe inflation matters when the Starbucks line isn't out to the road at any time of day.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I’m ready for the stagnation. I’m tired of the poors being able to afford all inclusive vacations driving up the price. Ocho Rios is almost double what it was in 2019.****

Ain’t that the truth, all these poors now sitting in first class have basically turned it to coach**

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
You ain't lying.

While my grocery bill is definitely higher, I attribute most of it to feeding teenagers, not inflation.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Weed prices are way up. Fertilize and heat lamps are expensive! Plus, all that extra food I need after.. SMH

Digging dog

Aug 22, 2012

I’m ready for the poors to want to work again***

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I’m ready for the poors to want to work again***
Who isn’t working? Are they at home collecting their sweet $275 a week in Florida for a max of 19 weeks? I could see when working at McDonald’s got you $7 an hour how that may be tempting but making $13 an hour should change that. I also don’t think the people making 14000 a year are driving prices for non essential spending.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Isn't that what the recently passed microchip bill is supposed to do? Or is Bernie right that it's just a corporate giveaway, like the airline bailout?
It's one of the things that I think the senate and house bill claims to do. Haven't read anything about them other than headline "claims", but I think almost certainly a significant percentage of the bill is a giveaway. Just a question of whether it's like 30% or 97%.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

It is misleading because it intends to lead the reader to a simplistic and inaccurate conclusion. Reality is that the net increase in what products cost is not based on a singular reason. We are part of a global economy, operate within a global supply chain, and listing one reason for the increase is disingenuous.

Here is your graph with another event that actually starts where your graph dips lowest. Oh, and its a global event which falls in line with the reality that costs have exploded in Canada, Europe, Asia, etc.
So lets go with the simplistic graph below instead of yours. At least the one below can help explain how prices have surged around the world.
View attachment 24266

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
You ain't lying.

While my grocery bill is definitely higher, I attribute most of it to feeding teenagers, not inflation.
You are misattributing it then. Or at least partly misattributing it.

Between increased costs and decreased packaging, effective cost per ounce is clearly up for food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login