OT Deer hunting

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I don’t hunt near as much as I used to but the last two seasons have been pretty brutal.
Am I the only one not seeing sheet? I hope y’all are doing better

Reactions: Bulldog Bruce

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I don’t hunt near as much as I used to but the last two seasons have been pretty brutal.
Two of my kids shot their first deer this year and I saw more large bucks than I’ve even seen. I think that was mainly a product of someone allowing me to take my kids onto property that has very little pressure in an area surrounded by high pressure.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I hope a lot of people have a lot of success. From what I read before the season the State's deer population has grown too large and needs to be thinned. I know this. If our hunters don't get it done and Mother Nature has to do it....it won't be pretty.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Drought was tough on deer this year. Even the ones we've killed don't have much fat on them.
I don’t know what they eating. Terrible acorn crop and no browse and I don’t have any yellow acorns on my place

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Been seeing a good number of deer this year. I think feeding and food plots have a huge impact. If a neighbor a mile away puts thousands (tens of thousands sometimes) of dollars into food plots and corn, then eventually the majority of the deer will migrate to his property. Deer will go to where the easiest meal is.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
We’ve been slaughtering them on our place. No problem seeing them here.

Reactions: NTDawg

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
No problems here. Passed up 4 really nice bucks in the last week. Rut is winding down though. Retired so I hunt 4 to 6 afternoons a week now days. I probably average seeing close to 20 every time I go. Haven’t been a single time this year when I didn’t see anything. It’s our own land and we put a lot of time and sweat into making it a good place. We plant wheat mostly but also occasionally plant some red and white clovers. Had a wildlife timber thinning done a while back and the additional cover and food has not only boosted our deer herd but has improved our turkeys and small game. We even have a couple of coveys of quail hanging around these days. In the Summer and fall when others are hanging out in the air conditioning I am usually sitting on a tractor sweating like a pig getting ready for deer season. It’s not fun in the Summer but it does pay off if you enjoy hunting. Gook luck to everyone.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I drove the Trace from Columbia, TN to Tupelo on Thursday night. Never seen so many deer. Literally 1 per mile.

coach66

Mar 5, 2009
We are having one of the worst seasons in our clubs history in Yazoo County. Not fun

Reactions: NTDawg

40mikemike

Sep 29, 2022
Tons of does on the 14 acres we live on. I put a couple blinds out back there and I’ve been hunting a big, mature buck back there, but we’ve just been playing a cat and mouse game. He’s only moving at night. I’ve had multiple does and small bucks in front of me every time I’ve hunted back there.

That said, a buddy of mine has several hundred acres he lets me hunt and the deer population out there seems much lower than in recent years and it’s a ten minute drive from my house, so I’d say while the state’s population as a whole is fairly high, some areas are struggling this year. Maybe it’s a water issue. Acorn crop has been great here.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
That's probably hunting pressure. If you're not sending any deer but know they are around, then pressure, food, or water has changed their pattern. Usually, it's not your hunting pressure; other people hunting there have affected their movement.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
No good bucks on my place this year but could have killed 2 or 3 limits of does and small bucks.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
I’ve killed a nice, mature 8 pt, and my son killed a smaller, young buck on the opening day of youth season. We’ve seen a decent amount of deer, but I do have year-round water sources on both sides of my property. Maybe that has helped our sightings. I’d say it has been an average deer season. I’m going again this afternoon. It’s a pretty day out there.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Yeah I should clarify I see plenty of deer in my neighborhood in the city limits of Madison including a buck chasing a doe this morning as I was about to drive an hour to sit in the woods while freezing my toes off to see nothing
Yeah, they are going nuts in my yard in OB. I got a crossbow if I need some meat.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I hope a lot of people have a lot of success. From what I read before the season the State's deer population has grown too large and needs to be thinned. I know this. If our hunters don't get it done and Mother Nature has to do it....it won't be pretty.
Here in Alabama game wardens are begging people to cull as many as they can. If it's brown take it down.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
This thread brings to mind the old ad copy "Your results may vary".

As for our small camp group, we've had a solid year in Central MS. Still rutt activity evident.

Certainly not seeing 20 deer a sitting like some here. Often see none, but we have cameras to tell us there are lots out there and we've taken close to what we like to take from the property yearly.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login