OT: DirecTV buying out Dish

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Not a big surprise. Charlie Ergen’s been in control of Dish and EchoStar since he founded them. And Dish and DirecTV have been losing satellite customers.

Looks like EchoStar will be concentrating on Boost now…

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Why is DTV not just going full online service? Those 100 people without high speed internet these days can get better service somewhere else anyway.

Reactions: Paulie

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Call me old but.... I prefer satellite over streaming any day. Streaming is just to slow and choppy. I have issues in my home with the slow navigation between aps. I've seen slow service at other houses.

I can switch channels on the DTV and navigate quickly at home. I can put a dish tailgater up at the tailgate and get uninterrupted service.

Saturday at this big UofTexas tailgate ... they tried streaming games on YouTube tv. Constantly buffering and kicking out for "reaching memory limit" Just to many issues.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
High speed internet access is about to be available to pretty much everyone the next couple years. It's so much better than satellite going dark when it rains and is a fraction of the cost.

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
This does suck for me. I have Dish with the SECN, ESPN+, and all the good live sports options right now, and I pay less than I was paying for streaming services. I am not a fan of youtubeTV, especially with the price increases over the last few years. Direct has always had ridiculous pricing.

Reactions: CDawg08

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
There's probably more folks than we realize who live in areas with no wifi/cable access and don't want to deal with streaming via a Starlink connection.
I am one of these people. I can’t get high speed internet except for Starlink, and it’s not offered in my area yet. So i have dish. And i like it. Before i bought land in the country, i had Hulu, Fubo, and YouTube TV. I prefer dish to be honest.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
From my cold, dead hands...

The giant satellite dish. I can still hear it squeaking as it turned. G5  had some good stuff! : r/nostalgia

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I just got internet last year where I live. Now have YTTV but honestly preferred Direct TV. I just couldn't justify the price difference.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
No doubt that cable and satellite were better at the interface with humans. I used to have picture in picture and switch between them. Funny how that is now just being advertised again or available on the Red Zone. I finally have a TV screen large enough for it to actually work, but I don't have it.

I used to have a button I could hit and it would immediately go back to the previous channel I was watching. I finally almost have it with Google TV.

I used to be able to enter 5 and immediately go to channel 5. I now have to navigate through a bunch of screens to change a channel.

I used to be able to have my TV magically switch to a channel at 7pm to make sure I didn't miss the beginning of my show. (Yes I know I have an option to watch from the beginning)

DISH had the Hopper and I could skip commercials with one button press. Now I get commercials on Amazon Prime.

Reactions: RocketDawg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It might only help them get more streaming viewers on the DIRECTV streaming platform. I would have changed from YouTube TV to Hulu Plus, but the interface sucks on Hulu. I decided to wait and see what the next big thing is. I'm expecting something to rear its ugly head within the next year.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
It might only help them get more streaming viewers on the DIRECTV streaming platform. I would have changed from YouTube TV to Hulu Plus, but the interface sucks on Hulu. I decided to wait and see what the next big thing is. I'm expecting something to rear its ugly head within the next year.
Agree Hulu plus was horrible. I lasted 1 days on it.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Directv’s streaming interface is very similar to YoutubeTV now.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login