OT: Do you find it nuts that the Boeing built spacecraft has been stuck in space for 50 days?

Aug 22, 2012
Getting competent experienced employees is hard. Keeping them, is even harder.
Most companies don't give raises other than 3% or so. Pretty much the only way to stay ahead of cost of living is changing jobs.

Most large companies are making record profits but most people are making "less" due to raising prices. Profits aren't trickling down to employees, executive level employees are buying vacation homes.

The wage gap is now as large as almost anytime in history. That doesn't lend itself to employees spending decades working for one company.

Last edited:
Reactions: dorndawg
Aug 22, 2012
It all happened somewhat quickly. At least it felt that way. To the captains credit, he did a masterful job of keeping most people calm. I was just trying to stay calm so my kids wouldn’t freak out. My daughter was in tears. My son was watching a movie. My wife was praying. There was definitely an overwhelming flood of emotions.

The thing that pissed me off was during the deboarding process, I got to speak with the pilot. I thanked him for getting us on the ground safely and he was somewhat humble. While we were waiting on the next round of busses to pick us up, he got real loud and said “OH. In case you were wondering, it was a bird strike!” It was somewhat awkward the way he blurted it out with no context. Then it dawned me. He was potentially running coverup for Delta because no one can argue an “act of God”. It also releases Delta/Boeing of some financial liability. The story hit the local newspaper within a few hours and they mention a bird strike or a small animal strike. Then soon after that, another article came out that said inspectors ruled out a bird or animal strike. Shocked I tell you…
We got stuck on the tarmac waiting on a gate. Because it was Delta's fault no gate was available, they gave us a hotel and food vouchers. The guy at the counter said that was the only way Delta was paying for anything.

Reactions: aTotal360

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
At my manufacturing facility, years ago, they announced that times were hard and profits were down, and as a result there would be no raises that year. A little bit later the vice-presidents' parking lot was filled with the new leased luxury cars they got every year.

Aug 22, 2012
Years ago at a MS poultry plant, the recession hit so production supervisors were told to trim labor. So basically Supervisors are now doing some hourly labor job tasks whenever possible. Fast forward a year or so, it is now SOP and the company is making record profits. Of course management was saying it was just temporary until those bonuses started hitting.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login