OT: email scam that is hitting churches

Status
Not open for further replies.

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
They will somehow get pastor and people's email addresses, send emails to the parishioners acting like the pastor and asking for gift cards to the staff. They sent one to me as well with my name clearly in the to and from sections. Suggestions on how to respond to this guy? I always like having a little fun with these scammers.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
They will somehow get pastor and people's email addresses, send emails to the parishioners acting like the pastor and asking for gift cards to the staff. They sent one to me as well with my name clearly in the to and from sections. Suggestions on how to respond to this guy? I always like having a little fun with these scammers.
Include “666” in the fake account info you give him

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
Oh good, won't affect the coC folks!

Reactions: Fang1

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Tell him you don’t like buying gift cards and prefer to send cash. Ask for the address. Send an envelope with no return address and filled with baby powder.

Reactions: DawgsGoneWild

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
If only I had back the money that me and the wife sent that TV preacher that was screwing the hockey player.
Surely everyone will catch this?

i am serious leslie nielsen GIF

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
None of the other charity leaders drive Bentleys ********************
How many asterisks are too many?? Asyeah, king for a friend
Yeah, some do, and they get the attention, but most pastors are like myself and barely scrap by sometimes. Again, based on some churches, I understand the sentiment, but many churches can barely keep the lights on, much less pay a church leader a ton of money.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
At this point if anybody is buying gift cards on the recommendation of any electronic medium they deserve to lose that money.

This. If anyone asks for payment to be sent in gift cards (even if they say they are your mom)......don't be stupid.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
No other charities pay taxes. Why should churches?
Because the vast majority of them are not charities. They operate in a FOR Profit model and meddle in political stuff.
Dems in office, we have a prayer section to pray for our leadership and have a freedom candle that is lit every day while they are in office.
Republican in office, no need to pray for our leadership and the candle is gone.

First of all, I am at Church to learn about our Lord and Savior, not to be lecture on how Dems are the devil. (By the Way, Jesus would be a democrat and all church going people should align with democrats social policies as they are Jesus like)

Second, everyone should give money not to their church, but to the people in their community directly. Fund you church's food pantry, if you have one. Small fund for the staff and paster, maybe. Small fund for building upkeep. That is it. All other money should go to benefit those in need. Unfortunately, that is not how they operate.

Reactions: Boom Boom

patdog

May 28, 2007
Because the vast majority of them are not charities. They operate in a FOR Profit model and meddle in political stuff.
Dems in office, we have a prayer section to pray for our leadership and have a freedom candle that is lit every day while they are in office.
Republican in office, no need to pray for our leadership and the candle is gone.

First of all, I am at Church to learn about our Lord and Savior, not to be lecture on how Dems are the devil. (By the Way, Jesus would be a democrat and all church going people should align with democrats social policies as they are Jesus like)

Second, everyone should give money not to their church, but to the people in their community directly. Fund you church's food pantry, if you have one. Small fund for the staff and paster, maybe. Small fund for building upkeep. That is it. All other money should go to benefit those in need. Unfortunately, that is not how they operate.
I hate to break it to you, but ALL charities are for profit. If you're not making a profit, you will go bankrupt and shut down. There are already laws against churches getting involved in politics. Need to simply start enforcing those laws rather than a blanket taxation of all churches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login