OT - End of an era in Jxn, Beatty Street Grocery Closing

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
After more than 80 years serving Jxn, Beatty Street is closing this week. The owners are retiring. If you are from the Jxn area, especially if you have ever worked DT, you are likely well acquainted with the eatery. No idea how they got that much grease in everything they make, but it was all delicious. Enjoyed a final fried baloney sandwich today.

BeattyStreetGrocery

Reactions: dog12 and dorndawg

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Great burger there for sure. I have not been in several years but might try to go before Friday.

Mar 3, 2008
I’ve stocked the walk-in cooler for them when I was a food rep in Jxn. Breakfast sandwich. Mayo or no!!

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
After more than 80 years serving Jxn, Beatty Street is closing this week. The owners are retiring. If you are from the Jxn area, especially if you have ever worked DT, you are likely well acquainted with the eatery. No idea how they got that much grease in everything they make, but it was all delicious. Enjoyed a final fried baloney sandwich today.

BeattyStreetGrocery
Bacon egg and cheese sandwich for breakfast and deep fried hot dogs or a Beatty Burger for lunch!

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Sale that I heard about fell apart because the old dude would not sell his comeback dressing recipe with it…
I'm a huge comeback fan, many have tried to duplicate it, but no one comes close to the Mayflower. The Elite's is the only other comeback that was close, but it closed a few years ago. I ate at Dennery's once or twice before it closed, but don't remember the comeback

The old stoner dude/owner has told me several times that his family didn't come with it, instead, it was the Dennery family. But the Kountouris family certainly perfected it.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
I'm a huge comeback fan, many have tried to duplicate it, but no one comes close to the Mayflower. The Elite's is the only other comeback that was close, but it closed a few years ago. I ate at Dennery's once or twice before it closed, but don't remember the comeback

The old stoner dude/owner has told me several times that his family didn't come with it, instead, it was the Dennery family. But the Kountouris family certainly perfected it.
Dennery family invented it at The Rotisserie and they used it at all their places

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Haha, the lady (not Skyler's mom) who checked out for many years and was mean and nasty was not there yesterday.
Ha yeah that lady didn’t have any time for nonsense… and nonsense to her was anything but walking up there with the exact amount due and saying nothing

Reactions: Dawg84

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021

BeattyStreetGrocery
BTW, is Crechales still open?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Aren't they Skylar Lane's parents or something?
Mary Hardin is the owner, her family started it many years ago. She is the mother of Skyler. Mary's husband is Coach Hardin, who retired as a football and track coach from from Forest Hill. When you talk to him, he makes it known that it is Mary's business, he never uses the words "we" or "ours" when talking about Beatty Street. He has worked outside of the restaurant for most of his career.

JesterB

Mar 3, 2008
Captain’s log 14:06:

Still no burger but I am not alone. Everything was fine until they ran out of tea. There is only one toilet and it’s outside, behind a padlock. The natives are restless and are relieving themselves in the parking lot. I feel like I’m camping out for tickets to see the Stones.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016

BeattyStreetGrocery

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Back in the mid to late-80s, I used to work at the Coca-Cola Bottling Company on Hwy 80. I worked with Rosie everyday, and he and I would go to Beatty Street Grocery every morning to buy breakfast. Those egg, fried baloney and cheese sandwiches were crazy good.

This news is truly sad.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Been here waiting on a burger for 2 hours. What are the odds my ladder is still in the back of my truck when I leave?
A couple of us from work went about 2PM yesterday, we left out work laptops visabile in our vehicles, we were sweating out the wait :LOL:

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Sorry sworn to secrecy on the Mayflower Sauce by the FIL. But, if you've tried to make it and close but something seems to be missing, here's a few things to consider. I graduated to making this every year for Thanksgiving to go on the greek salad with crabmeat.

1694638740172.png1694638775652.png1694638880994.png

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login