OT - fantastic podcast about the correlation between youth anxiety and social media

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Many will look at the title and want to post a Captain Obvious gif.
But I am confident that many who would post that, and have children, are doing the very things that they recognize as obviously potentially harmful.

This is a podcast that is hosted by a well known liberal who is realistic and a parent of young kids.
It is an interview with at sociologist who continually references and affirms views that are sometimes seen as right leaning in today's toxic sociopolitical world.

^ I say all that to hopefully get some to listen who might knee jerk ignore it based on the host.
It really is a well reasoned and insightful discussion that affirms a lot of what has been said in OT threads on SPS thru the last handful of years.

On a personal note related to this, I am helping transition a High School away from a total lack of cell phone policy and to a policy that eliminates use of phones and earbuds in classrooms. It is 1 of 5 High Schools in the District and the only one implementing this in August.
They are doing it to increase student participation and school spirit(connect with others), to help students make friends(many say they are lonely), reduce parent based anxiety(many say their parents text them too often during school), increase attendance(many examples of absenteeism due to no friends at school), and to increase student engagement in the classroom.
I put the educational reason last because while it is important, this initiative really did begin because of the anxiety and depression the school's Admin observed.
Phones will still be allowed in the halls and at lunch, so not perfect.

A neighboring district actually has a cell signal block so your phone doesn't work when you enter the building, unless you are in the District's wifi. And their wifi, both school and guest networks, blocks all major social media sites. It even blocks Amazon Music.

Anyways, it's worth a listen to anyone thats an educator, a parent of teens, a parent of young kids, or really just if you are interested in understanding some of what is going on with children and how they are coming along as our country's future leaders.

Last edited:

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
It's real and not even debatable. Similar for the average adult who sits on their phone too. Really bad for older folks.
Negatively affects athletic performance and your job if you stay on it too much. I applaud the schools banning them. I applaud the families who limit their use. Hard work and activity help anxiety. Rest your brain when you can.

Last edited:

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Amazes me when I hear parents complain about their kid’s behavior/mood swings/anxiety/etc and then they talk about why their 8-14 year old needs a cell phone and social media accounts.
Thanks, I’ll listen. Curious to hear the interaction between a liberal and someone with common sense**

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Thanks, I’ll listen. Curious to hear the interaction between a liberal and someone with common sense**
There is a part of the episode where some common alternative theories as to why there is so much anciety are put forth and discussed. That exchange is really interesting because I've read and heard all the theories, but the guest addresses them very clearly and concisely.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I can tell you that with 100000% certainty, my son acts like a prick right after watching streamers play Fortnite on YouTube. I should do a better job of monitoring it. My daughter is a lot more easygoing. When we take her phone away, she doesn't really care. She's way less addicted to it than me, my wife or my son.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'm afraid, corporately, we've gone too far allowing youth unfettered use of smart phones. I don't know if this ship can be turned. Even if schools start banning them, many parents aren't going to monitor/restrict use at home.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I feel pretty confident social media is worse for you than smoking.

It’s without a doubt worse for ‘us’ than smoking. We basically have a counter-narrative on every single topic today. So, you can info silo your way into basically any outcome you want on any topic. That’s a truly awful place to try to make informed decisions.

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
But I am confident that many who would post that, and have children, are doing the very things that they recognize as obviously potentially harmful.

This is a podcast that is hosted by a well known liberal who is realistic and a parent of young kids.
It is an interview with at sociologist who continually references and affirms views that are sometimes seen as right leaning in today's toxic sociopolitical world.

^ I say all that to hopefully get some to listen who might knee jerk ignore it based on the host.
It really is a well reasoned and insightful discussion that affirms a lot of what has been said in OT threads on SPS thru the last handful of years.

On a personal note related to this, I am helping transition a High School away from a total lack of cell phone policy and to a policy that eliminates use of phones and earbuds in classrooms. It is 1 of 5 High Schools in the District and the only one implementing this in August.
They are doing it to increase student participation and school spirit(connect with others), to help students make friends(many say they are lonely), reduce parent based anxiety(many say their parents text them too often during school), increase attendance(many examples of absenteeism due to no friends at school), and to increase student engagement in the classroom.
I put the educational reason last because while it is important, this initiative really did begin because of the anxiety and depression the school's Admin observed.

A neighboring district actually has a cell signal block so your phone doesn't work when you enter the building, unless you are in the District's wifi. And their wifi, both school and guest networks, blocks all major social media sites. It even blocks Amazon Music.

Anyways, it's worth a listen to anyone thats an educator, a parent of teens, a parent of young kids, or really just if you are interested in understanding some of what is going on with children and how they are coming along as our country's future leaders.

Can you distill out the salient points?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
What's scarier is people like glfr teaching pronoun indoctrination, CRT & DEI in public schools. That's the REAL schit that's destroying our utes.

I don't teach. 17 that, it'd take 3x my state's avg pay for me to agree to teach. That job would be exhausting.

If I did teach, I can't imagine trying to teach things I don't fully understand.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
I don't teach. 17 that, it'd take 3x my state's avg pay for me to agree to teach. That job would be exhausting.

If I did teach, I can't imagine trying to teach things I don't fully understand.
Like how cow flatulence kills polar bears?

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

My wife and I were able to spend a few days in Atlanta last week, and I kid you not… we’re enjoying a beer at a bar 50 feet from Turner field, and a commercial comes on with a law office asking, “has your child suffered from anxiety or depression due to social media addiction??? Well, give us a call!”

The lawsuits are coming

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Soooo…..a system that you prop up as the foundation of our country…..and it would cost 3x the going rate for you to contribute to that cause? Interesting.

And hey, I’ll throw you a bone. There’s another government entity that many hail as foundation to our civilization where the pay is notoriously low……POLICE.

Maybe we could have a discussion about both? How to make them better? I think we all agree that they are at least NECESSARY at this juncture in our society, right? How to fix?

Pay the workers more money? Maybe, but I think the answers are much more simple, and gets back to the original point of this thread.

Reactions: Anon1704414204

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Soooo…..a system that you prop up as the foundation of our country…..and it would cost 3x the going rate for you to contribute to that cause? Interesting.

And hey, I’ll throw you a bone. There’s another government entity that many hail as foundation to our civilization where the pay is notoriously low……POLICE.

Maybe we could have a discussion about both? How to make them better? I think we all agree that they are at least NECESSARY at this juncture in our society, right? How to fix?

Pay the workers more money? Maybe, but I think the answers are much more simple, and gets back to the original point of this thread.
A wise judge once said that the world needs ditchdiggers too.
Not all people are built or meant for all jobs.
Further, there are many jobs in this world that are largely staffed by people who view it as a calling or because it is their passion, teaching being one.
I absolutely love working with kids and helping them develop and grow, but I have found I do that best through a volunteer mentorship program and coaching.

It is completely ridiculous that you are trying to shame me for saying I would not want to be a teacher at the current average salary.

If you want to discuss police and teacher staffing, start a thread and say your piece as well as your peace.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
No, since its a 52min episode.
Is there any insight or nuance for people that already recognize that social media is generally poison for everybody, but especially young people? thats a real question; I’m having trouble wording it in a way that doesn’t sound snarky even though that’s not the intent.

Reactions: ll Martain ll

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015

Good.
One less capitalist masquerading as a liberal in a classroom convincing kids that less humans on this earth is ecologically righteous

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Good.
One less capitalist masquerading as a liberal in a classroom convincing kids that less humans on this earth is ecologically righteous
Ha, the unhinged baseless rants are out in full force in this thread. Man, you mention something that is education related and it sends some here into an emotional tizzy. You then say you wouldnt teach something you dont fully understand, and still get lumped into some group that you didnt even know exists.

- If I did think I could teach a subject I dont fully understand, it looks like you are claiming I would be a capitalist?
- Can a capitalist not actually be a liberal, and instead, they only masquerade as a liberal?
- Are you saying capitalists want to convince kids that less humans on earth is ecologically righteous, or are you saying only capitalists who masquerade as liberals in a classroom want to convince kids that less humans on earth is ecologically righteous?

17, your post is gibberish.
This thread was not intended to be politically divisive, and I specifically say the podcast episode is not only politically neutral, but it actually gives validation to views and approaches in education that are often viewed as being supported by conservatives.
You and a few others are desperately trying to hate on me here, and it shows. Listen to the podcast, or ignore it. Do what you want on that, but its pretty bonkers for people to rip on me for teaching even though I dont, to rip on me for not teaching because I would want more money(as if that is somehow a unique viewpoint), and to rip on me for not teaching because if I did teach then I would indoctrinate kids into believing fewer humans is ecologically righteous.
^ that last one, your comment, is crazy specific. Like oddly specific.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
For those of us without kids in public schools, they actually allow you to have them all day?
Yes. And I hate it. They even take tests on their phones.

I was told teachers aren't allowed to touch a kid's device because if the screen is cracked, the kids will blame the teacher for breaking it.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
I think the social media/anxiety thing is real and I am not diminishing it, but I don't think it affects as many people as some believe.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I was just thinking about the backlash Hawk Tuah girl is receiving right now. Man I grew up with some good girls who said stuff like this all the time. We laughed and went on our way. Now due to social media some are trying to ruin her life.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
A wise judge once said that the world needs ditchdiggers too.
Not all people are built or meant for all jobs.
Further, there are many jobs in this world that are largely staffed by people who view it as a calling or because it is their passion, teaching being one.
I absolutely love working with kids and helping them develop and grow, but I have found I do that best through a volunteer mentorship program and coaching.

It is completely ridiculous that you are trying to shame me for saying I would not want to be a teacher at the current average salary.

If you want to discuss police and teacher staffing, start a thread and say your piece as well as your peace.
That's about what I thought.

But either way, I'll give you the answer, my gift to you. You have to get freaking tough on both. Schools should be run with much more discipline. And the court system should be much harsher. Those two things would make our society better, almost instantly, and relieve the pressure on teachers and police officers.

Your way has absolutely failed. Trying to 'help' the crazy and evil was always a flawed way of operating.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Ha, the unhinged baseless rants are out in full force in this thread. Man, you mention something that is education related and it sends some here into an emotional tizzy. You then say you wouldnt teach something you dont fully understand, and still get lumped into some group that you didnt even know exists.

- If I did think I could teach a subject I dont fully understand, it looks like you are claiming I would be a capitalist?
- Can a capitalist not actually be a liberal, and instead, they only masquerade as a liberal?
- Are you saying capitalists want to convince kids that less humans on earth is ecologically righteous, or are you saying only capitalists who masquerade as liberals in a classroom want to convince kids that less humans on earth is ecologically righteous?

This thread was not intended to be politically divisive, and I specifically say the podcast episode is not only politically neutral, but it actually gives validation to views and approaches in education that are often viewed as being supported by conservatives.
You and a few others are desperately trying to hate on me here, and it shows. Listen to the podcast, or ignore it. Do what you want on that, but its pretty bonkers for people to rip on me for teaching even though I dont, to rip on me for not teaching because I would want more money(as if that is somehow a unique viewpoint), and to rip on me for not teaching because if I did teach then I would indoctrinate kids into believing fewer humans is ecologically righteous.
IMG_0170.png

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Haidt and Jean Twinge have been saying this for several years. Haidt in particular has been ignored because he's suspicious of DEI and woke culture so progressives dismiss him as MAGA. Social media has allowed the dumbest Americans to express with absolute certainty a bunch of ill-conceived, retarded ideas and too simply take the most idiotic argument in support of an idea or policy they don't like and criticize that thinking it discredits the entire policy. Social media has also made people notice, or think, that their lives are so much worse than others, they get ostracized when they see others, but not them, doing something enjoyable, and many Americans are told on social media that America is simply an awful place (the left and right do this). Social media is a problem for those with limited understanding of an issue and those with an inability to process diverse information.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I simply want to know who these folks are that don't know who Jon Favreau is and why they haven't seen Swingers. It's probably the best film featuring Sega's NHL Hockey.

I also always thought it was NHL '94, turns out I, like many others, am incorrect. LINK.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Reactions: aTotal360

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Social media also shows how many intelligent people, some self-proclaimed experts, believe idiotic things and don't realize it.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
That's about what I thought.

But either way, I'll give you the answer, my gift to you. You have to get freaking tough on both. Schools should be run with much more discipline. And the court system should be much harsher. Those two things would make our society better, almost instantly, and relieve the pressure on teachers and police officers.

Your way has absolutely failed. Trying to 'help' the crazy and evil was always a flawed way of operating.
My way? What the balls is 'my way'?

I agree that in general there should be higher expectations and therefore more discipline in schools.

As for your reference to courts- I honestly don't keep up with sentencing metrics, but if sentencing has dropped and crime increased, I could absolutely see an argument for increasing sentencing.

I don't think I have ever spoken in favor of helping those who are evil. If they are evil, in my mind they are beyond help. But that's just how I define 'evil'. I really don't know how you define it or what you are even referring to in this.
But in general, I am not in favor of helping evil people.

The one thing I disagree with you on is your claim that we shouldn't help those who are crazy. Mental illness is often treated or managed, with help. Seems like a cold and unnecessary waste of life to refuse to try and help those with medical conditions that are treatable, but don't seek out help due to that medical condition.

So 3 of 4 things you say I am wrong about are things that in general I agree with you on.
Hmm...yeah that was spot on for a goat type of post.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

My daughter says that her kids will not have social media or smart phones until at least high school. Told me that a lot of parent's her age share the same sentiment. Also, that generation cannot simply put their phones down and leave them alone for any length of time. It's frustrating to see that I created that, unwittingly...

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
i dropped home internet last year - we’re all better for it
When my kids were in the house, my internet was schedule to turn off at, what i considered, reasonable times. They hated it. I explained to them that when I was growing up TV stations stopped broadcasting at a certain time to help you know that you should be in bed sleeping...

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I feel pretty confident social media is worse for you than smoking.

It’s without a doubt worse for ‘us’ than smoking. We basically have a counter-narrative on every single topic today. So, you can info silo your way into basically any outcome you want on any topic. That’s a truly awful place to try to make informed decisions.
I honestly wonder what would happen if people simply stopped consuming online "news" and just watched broadcast news in the evenings. I suspect that we would be a lot more inclined toward reality.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

People's only identity these days is their political identity. It's impossible to post without someone rattling off whatever BS they've been paying attention to on their side of the internet.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I was just thinking about the backlash Hawk Tuah girl is receiving right now. Man I grew up with some good girls who said stuff like this all the time. We laughed and went on our way. Now due to social media some are trying to ruin her life.
I thought about this, too. Social media can ruin your life, even if you don't have an account. She was out with her friends, consumed alcohol, and said something sexual/silly that she will never be able to escape.

She's cashing in now, but at the end of the day, she has eliminated herself from certain careers and, even more sad, has hurt her ability to marry a quality guy. Millions of dudes are lusting after her, but how many quality guys will be able to look past this notoriety and marry someone that the whole world associates with... well, you know. I truly pity her because I'm sure she is a nice person (preschool teacher) and what she did could have happened to any one of millions of young women out with their friends.

It should be a sobering lesson for young people.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I thought about this, too. Social media can ruin your life, even if you don't have an account. She was out with her friends, consumed alcohol, and said something sexual/silly that she will never be able to escape.

She's cashing in now, but at the end of the day, she has eliminated herself from certain careers and, even more sad, has hurt her ability to marry a quality guy. Millions of dudes are lusting after her, but how many quality guys will be able to look past this notoriety and marry someone that the whole world associates with... well, you know. I truly pity her because I'm sure she is a nice person (preschool teacher) and what she did could have happened to any one of millions of young women out with their friends.

It should be a sobering lesson for young people.
She's advertised herself and is likely to attract certain types. Meanwhile, men repeatedly say they want a wife who they are attracted to, who stays relatively healthy, who enjoys sex with them, is loyal and is a good mom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login