OT: Fellow lazy smoke/grill aficionado.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Remote start is being disabled. Anyone else see this? RecTeq owner released a statement. He is claiming it’s industry wide. Didn't use it often, but having the option taken away bothers me.

Reactions: dorndawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
You could always just nicely ask your wife's boyfriend to start it for you.***

Charcoal guy here so I don't know much about the pellet joints, but that seems like a safety issue? I'm almost surprised remote start was ever a feature.

Reactions: AleutianIslandawg

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
That’s a thing? I thought I was a lazy *** for using a blow torch to light the green egg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Remote start is being disabled. Anyone else see this? RecTeq owner released a statement. He is claiming it’s industry wide. Didn't use it often, but having the option taken away bothers me.
Stupid people are why we can’t have nice things. Don’t have one but that sounds like a great option to have.

Reactions: PBRME

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Stupid people are why we can’t have nice things. Don’t have one but that sounds like a great option to have.
I'm pretty laissez-faire when it comes to safety, but if you're gonna have problem flameups on any kind of grill/smoker, it's often in the first few minutes due to leftover grease or whatever. All joking aside, why wouldn't you want to be at your grill/smoker at start-up? I could certainly be missing something, I don't know a 17ing thing about pellet smokers.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
That’s a thing? I thought I was a lazy *** for using a blow torch to light the green egg
Nope. I do it, too. Weber parrafin cubes are about as remote start as I get.

Some dubmass probably forgot he left his oven gloves, apron, and man-bunn scrunchies in the pellet grill

• Haha
Reactions: FreeDawg

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
I'm pretty laissez-faire when it comes to safety, but if you're gonna have problem flameups on any kind of grill/smoker, it's often in the first few minutes due to leftover grease or whatever. All joking aside, why wouldn't you want to be at your grill/smoker at start-up? I could certainly be missing something, I don't know a 17ing thing about pellet smokers.
I set temp alarms. Get notified if it temps too high or low.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
It is unless you forget that the cover is still on. Speaking from experience.

I have successfully used it as well. I have used it a couple of times to get up to a higher temp when I was on my way home and wanted to get a tenderloin on there because I was hangry.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
First they take your nuts when you buy them, then they take your remote start
Sons of Biches!

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I’m going to take a guess and say the ones making fun of the pellet guys don’t even own grills. I’ll wait for your defense but you’re probably still full of shít.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Well, let’s see. I’ve got a big ole offset on a trailer that I built years ago that I rarely use anymore. I have two Big Green Eggs, a Kamado Joe, a Kettle Joe, a Vision Kamado, and an Akorn Jr. My wife says that I have a problem, she‘s right, I don’t have enough grills!

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I have a Big Green Egg, but I’m in the live and let live category. If a pellet grill works for you, great, go for it.
I have a charcoal grill/smoker, a gas grill, a flat top, and an electric smoker. I use them all for different things at different times depending on what I’m cooking and how much time I have.

Use whatever you like if you fix great tasting food then who gives a flying 17 how you did it.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Well, let’s see. I’ve got a big ole offset on a trailer that I built years ago that I rarely use anymore. I have two Big Green Eggs, a Kamado Joe, a Kettle Joe, a Vision Kamado, and an Akorn Jr. My wife says that I have a problem, she‘s right, I don’t have enough grills!
Sold my offset. Made great food. Just tired of babysitting it. Sat my gas grill on the curb. Replaced those with a pellet smoker, pellet grill, flattop, and kept my smokey mountain and charcoal grill. Keep eyeballing a gravity fed grill.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Sold my offset. Made great food. Just tired of babysitting it. Sat my gas grill on the curb. Replaced those with a pellet smoker, pellet grill, flattop, and kept my smokey mountain and charcoal grill. Keep eyeballing a gravity fed grill.
Those gravity fed grills don’t last very long. I know a couple of people who had some issues with them after a little use.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I have a charcoal grill/smoker, a gas grill, a flat top, and an electric smoker. I use them all for different things at different times depending on what I’m cooking and how much time I have.

Use whatever you like if you fix great tasting food then who gives a flying 17 how you did it.
I've got a 36" blackstone, a pitboss, and a regular charcoal grill from Lowes. Love all 3 of them and they all have their uses. Smoked my first turkey on the pitboss this past Thanksgiving and I think that may be my new job every year based on the reception it got, and I love doing ribs and Boston butts on it. I think a blackstone was invented to do breakfast on Sunday morning before church. That and fried rice.

Reactions: aTotal360

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
I've got a 36" blackstone, a pitboss, and a regular charcoal grill from Lowes. Love all 3 of them and they all have their uses. Smoked my first turkey on the pitboss this past Thanksgiving and I think that may be my new job every year based on the reception it got, and I love doing ribs and Boston butts on it. I think a blackstone was invented to do breakfast on Sunday morning before church. That and fried rice.

I also smoke a turkey on the offset smoker every Thanksgiving and it's just incredibly good. Leftovers are better than oven or turkey-fryer also.
It's a little more effort, but a great excuse to start drinking earlier in the day!

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Those gravity fed grills don’t last very long. I know a couple of people who had some issues with them after a little use.
That’s the main reason I haven’t pulled the trigger. Looked at better quality builds. Just not sure I want to spend that much for a backyard cooker.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I’m going to take a guess and say the ones making fun of the pellet guys don’t even own grills. I’ll wait for your defense but you’re probably still full of shít.
I have a green egg mother 17er. I hardly ever use it because it's a pain in the *** to get going, but at least I'm not a girly man using their rec tec or electric smoker all the time because they're easy.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I am a Weber kettle guy, with a Smoke n Sear for using it as a smoker. I wish it was maybe 15% bigger, briskets don't always fit too well.

Anybody fooled with the Oklahoma Joe Highland offset smoker? I've had my eye on one for a minute, saw the Home depots has them on sale.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I never used it, but there are lots of dumbasses that have forgotten to take the cover off their grills and hit start.

Reactions: T-TownDawgg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I have a green egg mother 17er. I hardly ever use it because it's a pain in the *** to get going, but at least I'm not a girly man using their rec tec or electric smoker all the time because they're easy.
I’m sorry but that’s just plain stupid.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I am a Weber kettle guy, with a Smoke n Sear for using it as a smoker. I wish it was maybe 15% bigger, briskets don't always fit too well.

Anybody fooled with the Oklahoma Joe Highland offset smoker? I've had my eye on one for a minute, saw the Home depots has them on sale.
The Oklahoma Joes are ok but the metal is pretty thin and they tend to “leak” smoke out. If you get one after a couple of uses you can figure out where the sealing issues are and seal them up pretty easily. You can’t beat them for the price.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Absolutely. I use mine mostly for quick stuff. Burgers, hot dogs, etc. The house I bought came with a little outdoor kitchen area with a built in gas grill so I use it pretty regularly for stuff like that.
I want to get a natural gas grill, I have it plumbed already. It does burn my *** that nat gas grills are ~20% or more higher for the same moel.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Jeez. Me crapping on pellet grills is mostly a joke. But since you want me to post a defense:

We bought my Dad a PitBoss couple of years ago. He liked it. He also has a Weber Kettle and my old kamado smoker. The pellet smoker, although convenient and made pretty decent food, burned up an auger motor within a year and he had to get a motherboard this past winter. For a 3 year old grill. That needs electricity.
While it was down he went back to kamado.

I’ll stop posting facts now, and go back to making juvenile jokes instead.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login