OT: Fighting a Conditional Use Permit

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
No. It screams douche bag. Which reminds me of ******** fans. Which reminds me of a confederate flag. Many things come back to my hatred of shitheads in oxford. Can't help it.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I honestly have no idea on why they want to make it a wedding venue. There would be a thousand other places I would prefer, but it sounds like they are going to spruce it up with landscaping.

If you are looking at satellite photos, they don't tell the whole picture. The satellite photos must be like 6-7 years old or something and had to be taken in a bad drought year or something. But what looks like little scrub oaks and such are actually 80-100'+ spruce, tamaracks, ponderosa, and lodgepole pines.

Here's a satellite photo of my neighbor's house and the ground photo. Green grass, Maples and aspens among the pines. Very pretty.

View attachment 22356

View attachment 22357

You can't see any of the industrial park behind because of the trees and elevation change. I haven't been back there, but I imagine they have a pretty good mountain view as well, here is the view from there main road right past the intersection.

View attachment 22358

With that said, its potential is much nicer than you are likely thinking, but it doesn't compare to the scenery in other locations around town.

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
With that said, its potential is much nicer than you are likely thinking, but it doesn't compare to the scenery in other locations around town.

Ha, yeah the sat overview doesnt give much sense of elevation change. And it definitely doesnt do justice compared to the street pic.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Show up in favor of the wedding venue. Tell the city that you’ve got dozens of people from Ms just waiting on approval so they can sell their double wides and come to Idaho and Marry their second cousin. Inquire whether farm animals will be allowed at the ceremony. Ask if a mud wrestling pit will e provided or will you have to make your own. The rest of the country loves us Mississippians and can’t wait to have us visit their quaint little communities.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Holy crap... I just realized that that stupid *** Fancy Like song is probably going to be popular at weddings for years to come since it has a stupid little dance and all.

Anyone have access to claymores?

Emma’s Dad

May 5, 2021
I would consult with a connected land use lawyer in the area. First question would be whether he or she is involved already to avoid a conflict. If the BB owner has any sophistication, he has probably already tried to pave the way forward with city counsel/ward members. You want to do that from the other perspective first and see whether it has a chance of passing. Lobby against it and try to secure commitments. But I would assume it may well pass and do as others have suggested from there (notify all affected, meet, organize, prepare, oppose). Lawyer will know what will be decided and when and what public notice is required and what input can be given. There are lots of back-room approvals that occur in these situations where the public meeting fir discussion is more a formality. Good luck. Sounds like it would negatively affect your property value unless a major investment were made which is unlikely for a wedding venue in this setting

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I live in a residential area in a small resort town. We bought our house this summer and chose the area because its quiet at night. Across the street is a B&B that is zoned R-8. They just sent a letter out inviting everyone over on Sunday evening to discuss their intentions to apply for a conditional use permit to hold "outdoor events." Guy next door to me says they are trying to make it a wedding venue.

That **** isn't going to fly. At all. I have two small kids that go to bed at 8:30 at night. Weddings are loud as 17 and there is going to be tons of cars parking all over the damn place. So outside of the fact that I plan on starting a new chainsaw wood carving hobby that may or may not take place during proposed nuptials, what experience does anyone have with any **** like this? The rest of the neighbors are completely pissed as well?

Do I just shut my mouth at the meeting and get a lawyer? I am willing to spend significant funds on making this happen. It will hurt my property value significantly if it goes through. Can I just tie it up in court or does the city have all the final say?
Come on man. Be a good neighbor. When they have the first wedding just welcome the guests. It will take care of itself.
View attachment 22360

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
You don't know much about Idaho do you McDawg... I wear that **** out in public and I'll be a 17ing Senator by the end of the year.

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I don't want to dox the guy or start infringing on his freedom of religion... But I did find his linkedin profile. High school diploma and 1 year at a school of supernatural ministry are what's listed under education. I didn't know what a school of supernatural ministry was until now. I wish I didn't know. Apparently it's where you go to become a prophet and learn to activate your power and authority.

I am going to activate a can of whoop *** on this clown.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...e-young-saints-of-bethel-who-go-to-college-to

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Update:

So we kicked the **** out of the applicants for the outdoor wedding/event venue CUP. I got pretty cross with them at the initial neighborhood meeting. I asked for them to include some limits on the number of events per year, times, and noise limits. They said no, they will be good neighbors though. I kept bringing up the fact that they have no idea how loud a wedding reception could get and have included nothing to address it... One smart *** said my point was made and I could leave, but I declined and took notes on everything they said.

Per some sage advice from SPS (NWA and Brunswick) who are much versed in particular here's what myself and 2 neighbors did.

1. We hired a good local attorney. He made a list of factual talking points that addressed specific flaws in the application and use vs the criteria required for a conditional use permit.

2. We made flyers with the talking points on one side and details of the proposed site and the public hearing time/date and call in information.

3. We knocked on the doors, handed out flyers, or talked to every homeowner within a half mile.

12/7 was the date of the public hearing... Woof what a beating. Because of Covid they only let 11 people in the building and everyone else had to call in. Meeting started at 4:30...I got kicked out at 9:00. I will get to that in a minute. We were last on the agenda and I sat there for hours listening to design review of all kinds of crap. Horrible.

The applicants ( a group of 20 or so friends in family that invest in vacation rentals, only 2 represented them) for the CUP presented at 7ish. At 7:15 the city staff commented and they recommended approval (which ordinarily is hard to overcome apparently.) At 7:20 we got going. 37 people spoke out against it. We used facts and emotion... One guy even said he was advised to not get emotional, but they are talking about his home and his family's quality of life, nothing is more emotional than that...

1 person spoke on behalf of the applicants saying it was a good thing. I was kicked out because I recognized his name from the application and called him out for being the engineer hired to plan for storm water on the project. As I was leaving, he confirmed he was and everyone laughed there asses off.

So anyway, it was an absolute demolishing.

Here's the headline from the paper.

View attachment 23327

And I want to give a special hat tip to NWADawg... Not only did I use his line about not focusing on things that can be engineered away, but it actually made the paper.

View attachment 23328

Last edited:

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Update:

So we kicked the **** out of the applicants for the outdoor wedding/event venue CUP. I got pretty cross with them at the initial neighborhood meeting. I asked for them to include some limits on the number of events per year, times, and noise limits. They said no, they will be good neighbors though. I kept bringing up the fact that they have no idea how loud a wedding reception could get and have included nothing to address it... One smart *** said my point was made and I could leave, but I declined and took notes on everything they said.

Per some sage advice from SPS (NWA and Brunswick) who are much versed in particular here's what myself and 2 neighbors did.

1. We hired a good local attorney. He made a list of factual talking points that addressed specific flaws in the application and use vs the criteria required for a conditional use permit.

2. We made flyers with the talking points on one side and details of the proposed site and the public hearing time/date and call in information.

3. We knocked on the doors, handed out flyers, or talked to every homeowner within a half mile.

12/7 was the date of the public hearing... Woof what a beating. Because of Covid they only let 11 people in the building and everyone else had to call in. Meeting started at 4:30...I got kicked out at 9:00. I will get to that in a minute. We were last on the agenda and I sat there for hours listening to design review of all kinds of crap. Horrible.

The applicants ( a group of 20 or so friends in family that invest in vacation rentals, only 2 represented them) for the CUP presented at 7ish. At 7:15 the city staff commented and they recommended approval (which ordinarily is hard to overcome apparently.) At 7:20 we got going. 37 people spoke out against it. We used facts and emotion... One guy even said he was advised to not get emotional, but they are talking about his home and his family's quality of life, nothing is more emotional than that...

1 person spoke on behalf of the applicants saying it was a good thing. I was kicked out because I recognized his name from the application and called him out for being the engineer hired to plan for storm water on the project. As I was leaving, he confirmed he was and everyone laughed there asses off.

So anyway, it was an absolute demolishing.

Here's the headline from the paper.

View attachment 23327

And I want to give a special hat tip to NWADawg... Not only did I use his line about not focusing on things that can be engineered away, but it actually made the paper.

View attachment 23328

Congrats!

Seeking advice from others is always a good idea. Sounds like you got some good advice from smart fellows with real-life experience in matters like this.

You did the work though . . . formulated the plan and executed the plan.

It's always great when a plan results in success.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Better be ready for the next go around on it. I would be putting pressure on alderman, supervisors, the mayor, fire chief, police, etc. Is the p&z committee elected? Who is over them? If they allow it even temporarily you will never stop it.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I was thinking of renewing my vows with my wife at this location and this was going to be a surprise for my wife. I am so happy for us.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login