OT: Finance / real estate guys

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
The only way labor is going to get cheaper is by using less of it. As it is, your most labor intensive stuff (framing, roofing, drywall, paint) is already being done almost exclusively by immigrants, whether legal or legal.

I think you're going to continue to see housing move more and more towards being manufactured and assembled rather than built. Where I live, your sand in place wood floors are pretty much non-existent outside the highest end homes. Even good looking engineered wood is becoming less common in favor of vinyl or laminate plank; not sure if that's just a price issue for the material or if the labor is cheaper to install the vinyl and laminate. Custom cabinets only go in pretty high end homes and they are now manufactured offsite and then hung in the house. Even with the out of the box cabinets, some of the tract home builders seem to be moving towards designs that cut down on corners in kitchen cabinets and countertops, I think because it takes extra labor.

I'm wondering whether the manufactured walls might become cost competitive now. They seemed to be getting popular for a hot minute, but I think it ended up not saving any money and not improving quality. With how tight the labor market is getting, I wonder if that won't take off, especially for tract home builders that are buildng the same five houses over and over again.

Yep, don't write off the free market. People will adjust and find ways to not spend too much. Might be smaller homes, outlying area land rather than closer to the city, apartments/condos, cheaper builds....they'll find a way.

One issue I think is it's not economical to build small houses these days, so builders just build bigger homes. I think you'll see new build methods take over this market, 1000-1500 sf new homes selling for 1/4-1/3 the price of 1600-2000 sf homes. 3d printing, assembled homes, etc. Zoning issues will abound I'm sure, as current owners object to it. But it will help reestablish a floor in the market, in the medium term.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
How in the blue hell is this an example of "sell high buy low"? Sounds like he did the opposite.

You don't execute true 'buy low sell high' over the course of months. That happens over the course of many years. If you MUST buy right now, fine, do it. But if you don't, it's not a great time to be out there trying to make money (unless you bought many years ago).
I think he's saying the guy was trying to sell high and buy low, but it backfired.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Yes. He bought the house in 2015 ish for 250 or so. Somebody got in his ear that he could sell for a premium in 2020 before all of the foreclosures, extra inventory, yadda hit in 2021 and he could buy back in.

He wasn't the only one that had the same thought at that time (sorry to throw you under the bus realtordawg)

View attachment 24247

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login