OT: Fishing sunglasses (saltwater/offshore)

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Typically I'm a cheap sunglasses guy, but I do want to get a good pair of quality glasses. A good pair for saltwater fishing.

Any recommendations on lenses? (I don't give a **** about the frames. I just want good lenses.)

Outside of Costa, Maui Jim and Smith, are there any other glasses worth checking out?

I do have some Costas with the 580G lenses, but they are too heavy to wear all day. Even though inferior to glass, I'd prefer a poly lens for the comfort.

Bulldogbilly

Mar 19, 2020
I fish offshore a lot. Costa blue lens, 580 is what I wear. Harpoon frame. I have tried others, but these are the best IMO.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
If you want quality lenses every other brand out there will not come close to those 3 you mentioned. Don't waist you money with Bajio, all of their money is spent on marketing. I know a guide that was sponsored by them, refunded their money and gave the glasses away to the locals in Belize because he couldn't see squat on the flats.

As long as you are not doing any shallow sight fishing stick with a Gray or Blue color base lens. Your main concern is ut UV protection.

I hate to say it but costa is about the best lenses on the market for that application. Far as poly lenses Smiths are the best out there. I have Smith guide choice in both poly and glass lenses. The glass with a bronze mirror lenses are my daily wear and the poly with the amber lenses are for low light fishing. Even the smith glass lenses are far lighter than my old costas.

FISHDAWG

Dec 27, 2009
I wear blue lens for bright days and offshore fishing ...... the turtle hull green lens for shallower or inshore fishing ... both in 580's and will stick with them. I've tried most others

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I wear blue lens for bright days and offshore fishing ...... the turtle hull green lens for shallower or inshore fishing ... both in 580's and will stick with them. I've tried most others
Ditto

blackjackdog3

Aug 23, 2012
Can’t beat Costa with 580G lens. Some or maybe all Costas have a 580 plastic lens if glass is too heavy. Depending on the water should determine your lens color. For offshore blue or green would be my preference.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
After careful deliberation, I went with the Oakley Thumps.

Go with Christ, bruh.

Jul 19, 2014
Rheos are the best sunglasses I’ve ever owned. I have 3 pairs. They’re $55 or less, have many styles, and float. They are made for the water. Check them out.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login