OT: Foot and boot of Everest climber lost in 1924 found.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
George Leigh Mallory and Andrew Irvine were last seen alive climbing towards the Everest summit in 1924. There was always some question about whether or not they got to the top. Mallory’s body was found in 1999, without some pictures that he had planned to leave on the summit. Recently, Irvine’s boot (with his foot in it) has been found. He was known to have carried a camera so if the rest of his body is found then maybe there will be some evidence.

Mallory was the one who first answered the why question with “Because it’s there.”

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
George Leigh Mallory and Andrew Irvine were last seen alive climbing towards the Everest summit in 1924. There was always some question about whether or not they got to the top. Mallory’s body was found in 1999, without some pictures that he had planned to leave on the summit. Recently, Irvine’s boot (with his foot in it) has been found. He was known to have carried a camera so if the rest of his body is found then maybe there will be some evidence.

Mallory was the one who first answered the why question with “Because it’s there.”

Hi Jim. Book recommend for you that I am just finishing. “ The World Beneath Their Feet “ by Scott Ellsworth. Fascinating recap with a massive amount of detail by a historian who provides an attempt by attempt recap of expeditions by the British, Germans, Americans, and others ( Hillary from NZ and Norgay from Nepal ) in the race to the top of the world.

It is extremely doubtful Mallory and Irvine reached the top. It is a great read, one you would enjoy.

Reactions: LionJim
Mar 9, 2022

Might be an obtuse question, but what happened to the rest of the body? Eaten by a scavenger?

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
With rockfalls, avalanches, falling from a large height, etc. it's not hard to imagine that happening.
Too high up for scavengers. Mallory’s body was found basically intact. The people who found Irvine’s boot are not saying where it was found so as to discourage rubberneckers. I imagine that they’ll keep looking in the general vicinity.

I had too much time on my hands and read up on Sleeping Beauty and Green Boot Guy on Everest.

I recently was in Zermatt, the village at the base of the Matterhorn, and the graveyards there are full of people who died on the mountain. About three or four people die climbing the Matterhorn annually.

Last edited:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Too high up for scavengers. Mallory’s body was found basically intact. The people who found Irvine’s boot are not saying where it was found so as to discourage rubberneckers. I imagine that they’ll keep looking in the general vicinity.

I had too much time on my hands and read up on Sleeping Beauty and Green Boot Guy on Everest.

I recently was in Zermatt, the village at the base of the Matterhorn, and the graveyards there are full of people who died on the mountain. About three or four people die climbing the Matterhorn annually.

BostonNit

Oct 27, 2021
Now is a great time to remember that every dead body recovered on Mt. Everest was once a highly motivated overachiever.

#MotivationIsOverrated

Reactions: BobPSU92

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login