OT glacier national park

SkiLion2

Oct 29, 2021
Leaving for Montana tmrw , being your basic flat lander from S Florida it shud be interesting. My wife is Native American, will be visiting family. Packing lotsa warm clothing. Anyone been there ?
Yes, it's as beautiful a spot as any you will find in the western US. Hope you have a reservation for park entrance as I believe they are still needed. The extension of the Park into Canada and Canadian NP is also beautiful. Huckleberry Bear Claw at the Polebridge mercantile is awesome but a bit of a pain to get to.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Leaving for Montana tmrw , being your basic flat lander from S Florida it shud be interesting. My wife is Native American, will be visiting family. Packing lotsa warm clothing. Anyone been there ?

I've been there ... you'll love it.

Warm clothes at this time of year are a good idea for Montana.

The end of the September is the best time at Glacier for fall foliage, so the visuals should be great. You may be a little early for the larch trees (they are one of the last trees whose leaves turn; they turn a spectacular orange), but many other trees should be in their prime. Plus, the park is pretty crowded in the summer, so you should be able to get around without traffic jams and long lines.

Go to the Visitor's Center and talk with a ranger. Find out where (and at what time of day) specific animals have been seen, and plan accordingly.

If you're up for it, there are some great hikes in Glacier.

I'm jealous -- it's been too many years since I last was there.

Last edited:
Reactions: LB99 and Bison13

NoSoup4U

Oct 14, 2021
yep suggested things
1) drive the full length going to the sun road
2) st marys lake boat ride
3)Logan Pass ==>Hidden Lake Hike
4)Red Bus Tour if not doing #1
5)Apikuni Falls hike
6)Many Glacier Hotel and Lake =>Grinnell Glacier Hike

amongst many other options

'Hey Bear' will be useful phrase

Last edited:
Reactions: MacNit

A2nit

Oct 12, 2021
yep suggested things
1) drive the full length going to the sun road
2) st marys lake boat ride
3)Logan Pass ==>Hidden Lake Hike
4)Red Bus Tour if not doing #1
5)Apikuni Falls hike
6)Many Glacier Hotel and Lake =>Grinnell Glacier Hike

amongst many other options

'Hey Bear' will be useful phrase

2nd Many Glacier. Good day hikes to Iceberg, Grinnell and Ptarmigan. Also had a herd of elk walk right thru the parking lot last time I was there…

Relayer

Oct 12, 2021
Just a heads up, the Many Glacier area has shut down all concessions for the season because of construction. The Swiftcurrent area is now closed for the entire next year. More details in this article. One can still hike in the area, pedestrian detours will be posted. There is still a lot to see and you'll have a great time.

Last edited:

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I was just there about a month ago. FYI, passes were needed for Going to the Sun road (daily) and the Many Glacier area (also daily). We had a blast, but we did encounter many bears. They were already starting to feed for hibernation during the second week of August. There were berries everywhere and the Iceberg trail was closed all week due to high bear activity. You could still do Grinnell Glacier and the Grinnell Lake trails though. I highly recommend Lake McDonald. We did paddle boards and a boat tour. Both were fantastic. It is an amazing park. One of my favorite vacations.

SouthHalls410

Oct 27, 2021
Our family went a few years ago. It was amazing. I recommend everything that the others have commented on. We also got an unexpected chance to see the Blue Angels fly through the St. Mary’s part of the park. Also, be aware of the possibility of altitude sickness. Our one daughter was sick for a day after hiking. Be sure to hydrate a lot. We stayed in Kalispell. Great town. I recommend this place: https://www.desotogrill.com/. I hope you have fun and have a great experience.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Our family went a few years ago. It was amazing. I recommend everything that the others have commented on. We also got an unexpected chance to see the Blue Angels fly through the St. Mary’s part of the park. Also, be aware of the possibility of altitude sickness. Our one daughter was sick for a day after hiking. Be sure to hydrate a lot. We stayed in Kalispell. Great town. I recommend this place: https://www.desotogrill.com/. I hope you have fun and have a great experience.
We stayed in Columbia Falls. Did you check out the rodeo in Columbia Falls? It was pretty entertaining. Whitefish isn’t far away either.

STPGopherfan

Oct 31, 2021
Blackfoot Nation? Had a boss from Montana that was Blackfoot. Awesome guy!

throw2oj

Oct 12, 2021
Spot the Big Horn!

So close to the Logan Pass Visitor Center we joked that it was fake for the tourists.

Attachments

• bg_gl.jpg
    bg_gl.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3

Latest posts