OT: Grateful Dead

BigDawg@HillsofMS14

Jul 31, 2018
A previous thread made me think of this but what are y’alls favorite Dead songs Pack. Mine are Mississippi Halfstep and Terrapin Station. It’s hard for me to understand why some don’t like their music. I don’t see how anyone that honestly listens to those two songs and not think that’s what true rock n roll was suppose to be. They were the real deal. I know there has to be some dead heads out there. Their musics lists me in a good mood.

Grove Sh*tter

Aug 25, 2014
Feel like a stranger
Terrapin
Jack straw (all the Europe 72 catalogue)
Passenger
Eyes of the world
Comes a time
Everything from American Beauty and working man's dead

Hell, it would be hard to narrow a top 25

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Not a Dead head but generally enjoy their music. A few favorites:
Touch of Gray - definitely starts hitting different, too
Scarlet Begonias
El paso - of course not a Dead song but they cover it so well.

wdawg44

Jun 4, 2014
I'm a big fan of the Dead before Pigpin died (1972). Love light, dark star, easy wind

Last edited:

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
Althea
Scarlet
Dire Wolf
Cassidy
Sugaree
I celebrate the entire catalog

JGB is my go to chill at the house music
Find myself listening to that more than dead lately

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Me and my uncle
brown eyed woman
monkey and the engineer
their version of Bobby McGee
bertha
big boss man
i Could go on but that’s a good start

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
Row Jimmy

I did not appreciate what a great band they were back in their prime years. Probably because they weren't played on the radio much. Been listening to a lot of their live concert videos and archived music lately. Just curious, did they ever tour the south?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Insane to me someone said touch of grey

MS-halfstep

Jun 27, 2015
Row Jimmy

I did not appreciate what a great band they were back in their prime years. Probably because they weren't played on the radio much. Been listening to a lot of their live concert videos and archived music lately. Just curious, did they ever tour the south?

Oh yea, they played in Jackson in 78. Atl was a regular tour stop, lots of great Florida shows. Heck even B'ham and Memphis got some shows at the end.

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
Oh yea, they played in Jackson in 78. Atl was a regular tour stop, lots of great Florida shows. Heck even B'ham and Memphis got some shows at the end.

Damn I hate I missed that Jackson show. I had just gotten married and was too focused on paying the bills and starting a family.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Althea
Bertha
Deal
China Cat -> I Know You Rider

I hope Dead & Co tours next year. There’s been some talk they will not. I know Mayer’s father isn’t doing well. They’re a great excuse for a 3 day weekend. Go catch them at Wrigley or Fenway, Denver, etc.

goindhoo

Feb 29, 2008
Among those mentioned…..ripple, bird song, he’s gone, morning dew

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
Althea
Samson and Delilah
Cream Puff War
Tennessee Jed
Dire Wolf
50 more worthy of listing.

Col. Forbin

Oct 2, 2012
St Stephen and Ramble on Rose are 2 of my all timers. Followed behind Throwing Stones. But I can put on any album and listen without any skips.

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003
Have you listened to Vampire Weekend's last album? It was heavily influenced by the Dead's sound.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Hard to narrow them down but some of my favorites are

Franklins tower
Cassidy
Terrapin station
The wheel
Sugar magnolia
Uncle John’s band
Sugaree

Ask me next week and it would probably be a different list.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
US Blues
St. Stephen
Cassidy
Deal
Hell in a Bucket
Alabama Getaway
Easy Wind
Good Lovin

Terrapin is an All Timer

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

I was fortunate to be at the two Santa Clara Fare Thee Well shows. Here's the first show which was all older songs. I think you would have loved it...

Set I: Jam -> Truckin’, Uncle John’s Band, Alligator -> Cumberland Blues, Born Cross-Eyed > Cream Puff War, Viola Lee Blues
Set II: Cryptical Envelopment -> Dark Star -> St. Stephen -> The Eleven -> Turn On Your Love Light -> Drums/Space -> What’s Become Of The Baby -> The Other One – > Morning Dew

dawgface

Nov 9, 2010
my favorite rock-n-roll band since 1968, was fortunate to see 'em many times, including the opening weekend of the warehouse in new orleans that saw the dead get busted which bust was the inspiration for "truckin'".....many great memories over the years.many favorites but nothing compares to the dead when they were hitting on all cylinders, never playing a song the same way twice i all those years. my favorite from the early years is "the eleven". several years ago i loaded all the winter land versions on a shuffle ipod to help me focus while playing golf in my regular group, really helped the focus...

here's a review of my favorite album...."...contains the finest rock improvisation ever recorded..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live/Dead

Last edited:

dawgface

Nov 9, 2010
my favorite rock-n-roll band since 1968, was fortunate to see 'em many times, including the opening weekend of the warehouse in new orleans that saw the dead get busted which bust was the inspiration for "truckin'".....many great memories over the years.many favorites but nothing compares to the dead when they were hitting on all cylinders, never playing a song the same way twice i all those years. my favorite from the early years is "the eleven". several years ago i loaded all the winter land versions on a shuffle ipod to help me focus while playing golf in my regular group, really helped the focus...

here's a review of my favorite album...."...contains the finest rock improvisation ever recorded..."https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live/Dead

RupertRuxin

May 9, 2021
If you have any interest in the Dead at all, check out the Good Ol' Grateful Deadcast podcast. They just finished up a series on the Europe 72 tour. One episode per stop. It was fantastic.

To the OPs question: I think the Blues for Allah album is underrated. I love the live shows that start with Help > Slipknot! > Franklin's.

Bertha
Althea
He's Gone
Scarlet
Me and My Uncle (I believe they played this at more shows than any other song)
Wharf Rat
Box of Rain (Let Phil Sing!)
Dire Wolf
... on and on ...

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login