OT: Gumbo competition

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
How does this work? Do we just get to walk around sampling everyone's stuff? Never been out there to this...

BigDogFan

Oct 12, 2016
Sponsored by Rankin Chamber and City of Brandon. 5 and up $10 - kids 2-4 $5

Reactions: JesterB

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
How do you know when your roux is dark enough?

Equal parts duck fat & flour?

JesterB

Mar 3, 2008
Burn it once so you know what that’s like, then back off next time.
Replying to 57.
This is exactly how my Grandma Breaux taught me when I was a kid. I was literally raised on a roux.
You cook the roux to match your protein. I like a peanut butter colored roux for seafood and a dark chocolate for poultry and sausage. Equal parts fat and flour for the most part but I always end up adding a little flour after I’ve started. Making a roux is the closest thing to meditation I’ll ever practice. Make sure you have your trinity sitting on stand by when you’re ready to stop it.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Saturday Feb 18 at the Brandon Amphitheater. Gates open at 11. I’m doing 10 gallons of Smoked chicken, Duck and andouille gumbo with a duck fat roux. Come say hello.
Sounds good jester. How many quarts of roux do you make for 10 galleons of gumbo? I haven't tried making a duck fat roux either. But place near me makes one year around. I make chicken and sausage gumbo year round.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Probably heresy to some but I make roux in the oven, especially if like Jester says above I'm going for that really dark color for chicken & sausage. The oven method is far less work and for me produces better results, probably because I don't get tired of stirring.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
The team beside me that used packogumbo came in 3rd. Another team that used boxes of Gumbo girl came in 2nd. I didn’t place. Pretty sure I was in the wrong competition.
The same judges are likely the posters on this board that try to tell us that the microwaved brisket at Buc-ee's is good, Arby's is delicious, and a baked potato is bad for you.

Next year just vac seal it all, pack in dry ice, airship it to me.*

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The team beside me that used packogumbo came in 3rd. Another team that used boxes of Gumbo girl came in 2nd. I didn’t place. Pretty sure I was in the wrong competition.
Shame. Not making roux from scratch in a competition should be disqualification. Would never pass here in Louisiana. That's heresy. Making a roux is easy just have all your stuff cut early and sit back and have a couple of beers and stir.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Sorry for the slight hijack but this may entertain you. I've been a spice lover for forever starting with LA Hot Sauce on my eggs and stuff. Lived in Nawlins 7 years and got some tips down there as well. But I'll NEVER Forget the Day I 17'd up in the French Market. If any of y'all are familiar, they have a section with notbale Hot Sauces that are most times labeled with things like "As$ of Fire" and they have popcorn you can dip your fingers into and try their spicy samples; so I did and my A$$ hit the ground immediately after the 7 second delay of initial consumption occurred. I immediately received a cold water bottle from a loved one that I actually poured down my throat and didn't actually "drink" it. I had never done that but that didn't seem to help too much as I had to sit there on my A$$ basically like I'd taken a blow from Mike Tyson without boxing gloves for another 4-6 minutes.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
The same judges are likely the posters on this board that try to tell us that the microwaved brisket at Buc-ee's is good, Arby's is delicious, and a baked potato is bad for you.

Next year just vac seal it all, pack in dry ice, airship it to me.*
^^^Has a ****** palate^^^

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I won a chili cookoff in ATL using frito's chili-o. I just added sauteed bacon, onion, and bell pepper.

Work smarter. Not harder.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I almost typed earlier that it's Rankin County, not Plaquemines Parish, so expect the packaged gumbo mixes to win.

Decided that was just mean.

What were the qualifications of the judges??

Amacomo

Dec 15, 2013
I live 15 minutes from New Iberia, where they have an annual gumbo kickoff. That’s grounds for execution where you stand down here. I’m pissed for you and I wasn’t even there!!

JesterB

Mar 3, 2008
Congrats I guess.

Customers are always right, no?
Customers are always the customer and should be treated as such. But you get to decide who you want to sell to. If I need to attach my name to an inferior product in order to make a buck or win a prize I’d rather just politely decline. But whatever floats your boat.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Congrats I guess.

Customers are always right, no?

Customers are always the customer and should be treated as such. But you get to decide who you want to sell to. If I need to attach my name to an inferior product in order to make a buck or win a prize I’d rather just politely decline. But whatever floats your boat.

The judges are the problem in most of these "contests". Used to compete in a local BBQ cooking, but I got tired of being judged by folks who couldn't start a propane grill up.

Loveya 360, but I'm pretty confident your Chili-o chili would place 4th of 4 at my deer camp considering your competition and the judges there.

But I bet I'd enjoy it.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
The judges are the problem in most of these "contests". Used to compete in a local BBQ cooking, but I got tired of being judged by folks who couldn't start a propane grill up.

Loveya 360, but I'm pretty confident your Chili-o chili would place 4th of 4 at my deer camp considering your competition and the judges there.

But I bet I'd enjoy it.

Yep. I get tickled at some of takes people have on how good this is and that is, but then you have to realize most people don't travel often and when they do it's on vacation and they eat at a lot of touristy chain places. They like what they are used to and don't know any better. Lots of people fall for the show as well... Tableside guacamole makes the rubes cream their pants.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
A comment about gumbo that I'm sure is going to draw scorn. I've had gumbo from some of the best known restaurants in NOLA (like Jacques-Imo’s) the Mayflower in Jxn, Crystal Grill in G'wood, Crescent City in H'burg and many other lessor know restaurants, I can't tell the difference in any of them.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
A comment about gumbo that I'm sure is going to draw scorn. I've had gumbo from some of the best known restaurants in NOLA (like Jacques-Imo’s) the Mayflower in Jxn, Crystal Grill in G'wood, Crescent City in H'burg and many other lessor know restaurants, I can't tell the difference in any of them.

No scorn, and some lesser known places make a fine gumbo.

But I've had plenty of shittay gumbo in my life, there's lots of it made at otherwise decent restaurants.

And it's not hard to pick out.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I didn’t make it, but looking at pics (who when where and what) and understanding the mentality around there, I wouldn’t take it personally. Almost a badge of honor.

You could have easily picked those winners ahead of time. And as far as quality of food, take a look at our local restaurants in Skankin Rankin. Not much is bad, but nothing is great….at all. Just bleh. Cover it all up with salt, cream and sugar and let the sheep lap it up.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009

But I bet I'd enjoy it.
Cooking contests are not about cooking what you like. Stay at home if that's what you want to do.

And for the record, 2nd thru last place cry the same thing as you. "dEM jUDjis kaint LITe uH gayus greel."

That's the nature of the beast. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it's the way every single cooking contest works.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login