OT: Gumbo competition

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
I heard one of the top bbq competition guys say that the ribs he wants to eat himself are not the ones he has to compete with to win. To each his own but this is why I turned down friends encouraging me to compete in the bbq world.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
I won a chili cookoff in ATL using frito's chili-o. I just added sauteed bacon, onion, and bell pepper.

Work smarter. Not harder.

Don't think I'd try to win with it but that chili-o is pretty dang good when your in a hurry or low on ingredients and you get a hankering for chili in the winter time.

Reactions: aTotal360

JesterB

Mar 3, 2008
I’ll probably cook in it again. We had a lot of fun and it was for a good cause. I’ll just know next time to expect the “just add water” stuff to win. There was actually some really good gumbo out there. Just none of it being recognized at the end.

Reactions: Motodawg

Motodawg

Apr 19, 2018
Gumbo fest was awesome. We had a great time. I don’t remember seeing a single Ole Miss tent. I want to enter my company next year and was wondering what the entry fee was

Motodawg

Apr 19, 2018
I’ll probably cook in it again. We had a lot of fun and it was for a good cause. I’ll just know next time to expect the “just add water” stuff to win. There was actually some really good gumbo out there. Just none of it being recognized at the end.
I noticed too that none of the good stuff even got recognized and all of the banks and insurance companies won. What gives?

JesterB

Mar 3, 2008
They buy blocks of tickets to stuff the box for the fan favorite award. Then they give a “be sure to look for____” fill in the blank for the “blind judging”. Not sure of the entry fee but I know we spent about $500 on groceries.

• Wow
Reactions: Motodawg

Motodawg

Apr 19, 2018
Another thing, at 2 o clock, i had found my favorite, i went to drop it in the box and couldnt find their box so i asked them and they said they had already taken it. A whole hour before it was over and still a packed house.

Rawdawg60

Feb 19, 2023
I’ve cooked in it every year that they have had it. Placed top 3 last 2 years. It’s always a good time There were some good pots and some bad ones. I did notice that the tent behind me had 10 gallons of tomatoes in theirs and made me wonder if they were cooking chili or gumbo.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I’ve cooked in it every year that they have had it. Placed top 3 last 2 years. It’s always a good time There were some good pots and some bad ones. I did notice that the tent behind me had 10 gallons of tomatoes in theirs and made me wonder if they were cooking chili or gumbo.
Tomatoes don't go in gumbo.

Reactions: Rawdawg60

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Tomatoes don't go in gumbo.
I don't put tomatoes in mine either, but this is something of a misconception. It may not be common but it's plenty traditional for Creole gumbos to have tomatoes in them. Far more uncommon for Cajun areas. To me, if you're making a roux and also wanting tomatoes, it makes sense to cook a Sauce Piquant instead of a gumbo.

The addition of tomatoes — what is now considered a Creole gumbo ingredient — is something Lafayette folklorist John Laudun believes came from Haitian immigrants and was later reinforced by the arrival of Italians in the New Orleans area.

"Tomatoes in gumbo seem to have the highest density of occurrences in New Orleans, where both a large number of Haitian Creoles settled but also Italians," Laudun said. "As you move away from New Orleans, the density of their usage in gumbo drops off considerably, though pockets along the bayous Teche, Lafourche and Terrebonne are not unknown. My guess is that similar dynamics were — are — in play."

One ingredient that does arouse controversy is the tomato. Some cooks use it in their gumbos, others wouldn’t be caught dead putting tomato in theirs. In that respect, the situation is analogous to jambalaya, where the question of the appropriateness of tomato is a burning issue. Tomatoes are most often found in okra gumbos, but I’ve had roux-based seafood gumbo that also contained tomato. I don’t have any hard evidence to back this up, but in my experience gumbos containing tomato are more common on the eastern side of Bayou Lafourche than they are farther west. Personally, I am for tomato in okra gumbo and against it in non-okra gumbo.

Reactions: JesterB and Fritz!
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login