OT: Healthiest grab and go meal

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
To SPS members, I know health-conscious dining ranks right below drinking bud light, but I'm curious if you have tips for minimizing Vitamin G intake when you are on the run.

I eat A LOT of fast food because I'm constantly running around. Way too many egg rolls, pizza slices, and soft pretzels from Race Track. McDonalds, Krystals, Chicfila, etc.

The "healthiest" thing I have close by is Subway, random bbq joints, and sushi from Kroger (I'm a risk taker).

Do you have any "fast food" suggestions that are mildly healthier than the #7 combo? I want something I can grab and go. I'm not packing a lunch.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
If I have to eat out, which thankfully isn’t often, I try to stick with a grilled chicken sandwich.

Packing a lunch isn’t bad. I did it for a while a few years ago. It was nice to not have to try to figure out what to eat in the middle of the day when I was already starting to get hungry and prone to making bad decisions.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
The "healthiest" thing I have close by is Subway, random bbq joints, and sushi from Kroger (I'm a risk taker).
Big Kroger sushi fan here. You just have to realize that about one in five times, you'll have to chunk a few pieces. Set expectations and go with it.

Edited to add: Read Eat This Not That.

There are free copies everywhere online. It's got some helpful tips for when your options are fast food. One tip that I've used ordering things "fresco style" at Taco Bell. Cuts out some of the bad stuff.

Reactions: aTotal360

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
To SPS members, I know health-conscious dining ranks right below drinking bud light, but I'm curious if you have tips for minimizing Vitamin G intake when you are on the run.

I eat A LOT of fast food because I'm constantly running around. Way too many egg rolls, pizza slices, and soft pretzels from Race Track. McDonalds, Krystals, Chicfila, etc.

Do you have any "fast food" suggestions that are mildly healthier than the #7 combo? I want something I can grab and go. I'm not packing a lunch.
- if your Krogers is like mine, they have $5 rolls on Weds/Thurs. They're not bad
- the salads at Subway are pretty good esp if you can get them to use spinach as the base instead of iceberg
- also the cobb salad at CFA isn't bad

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
I think the answer here is throw a few salads into the mix. Maybe get a grilled chicken wrap and a side of fruit instead of fries.

most places have healthier options, problem is they aren't as good as a burger and fries. You have to choose healthy or good, you can't have both when dealing with fast food.

benatmsu

May 28, 2007

• Zaxby's makes a good grilled chicken salad. Have to watch the dressing obviously, and the fried onions they try to throw on there.
  • You can make any sub at Firehouse or Jersey Mike's into a salad so as long as you choose wisely on dressing, you're winning there
  • I do the Chipotle bowls sometimes with no rice or beans and they're not bad... but expensive when you consider you're leaving out all the good stuff.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I try to watch my sodium intake and when you talk dining out the options are extremely limited. I found the best option for me when it comes to fast food is Panda Express. I can get a bowl of steamed rice and sweet and sour chicken chicken. The extra sauce from the S&S chicken gives the rice some good flavor too. I eat about half the rice and all of the chicken and if their nutritional information is to be believed that meal comes in under 500 calories and under 300mg of sodium.

And don't you low carb farts come in here whining about the rice. If you sit on your áss all day, low carb diets are fine. But if you move, work, or workout with any intensity carbs are necessary fuel.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I try to watch my sodium intake and when you talk dining out the options are extremely limited. I found the best option for me when it comes to fast food is Panda Express. I can get a bowl of steamed rice and sweet and sour chicken chicken. The extra sauce from the S&S chicken gives the rice some good flavor too. I eat about half the rice and all of the chicken and if their nutritional information is to be believed that meal comes in under 500 calories and under 300mg of sodium.

And don't you low carb farts come in here whining about the rice. If you sit on your áss all day, low carb diets are fine. But if you move, work, or workout with any intensity carbs are necessary fuel.
I do have a panda close by. I'll give that a shot. Passing up the fried rice will be a test.

I'll never give up carbs. I'm eyetalian and 99% of my family is NOT obese and they eat pasta every day.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
- if your Krogers is like mine, they have $5 rolls on Weds/Thurs. They're not bad
- the salads at Subway are pretty good esp if you can get them to use spinach as the base instead of iceberg
- also the cobb salad at CFA isn't bad
The shaggy dog roll at Kroger is my go to. My daughter likes it too and will eat a roll in minutes.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Chick fil a grilled nuggets with the Kale crunch on the side is solid. They also have good salad options, although that’s harder as a grab and go if you’re going to be eating while driving or something.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017

I like panda ok but being diabetic there is very little I can eat there or any other restaurant. All chain restaurants have their nutrition info on their websites. There was a sandwich at sweet peppers I liked until I saw it had over 10,000mg of sodium. No, that's not a typo.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
"If the good Lord meant for you to eat raw fish he wouldn't have provided cornmeal and peanut oil."

Saw that on a tshirt from a "catfish house" once in S MS and it is words of wisdom to live by from a very wise man.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I think the answer here is throw a few salads into the mix. Maybe get a grilled chicken wrap and a side of fruit instead of fries.

most places have healthier options, problem is they aren't as good as a burger and fries. You have to choose healthy or good, you can't have both when dealing with fast food.
Lots of places have "healthier" options that aren't really healthy if you are paying attention. McDonald's used to have horrendous salads that people would eat not realizing they would have been better off just eating a hamburger. Or they will serve a side of fruit instead of fries but the fruit is marinating in syrup.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Big Kroger sushi fan here. You just have to realize that about one in five times, you'll have to chunk a few pieces. Set expectations and go with it.

There are free copies everywhere online. It's got some helpful tips for when your options are fast food. One tip that I've used ordering things "fresco style" at Taco Bell. Cuts out some of the bad stuff.
Taco Bell is a surprisingly good option if you want to eat healthier. May not actually qualify as healthy, but they have designed their menu where you can eat pretty close to it.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I wouldn't screw with what you eat. In stressful, hurried situations you'll always go for what you crave.

Focus on HOW MUCH you eat of whatever you choose.

Pack a big thermos of ice water and order a single hamburger, or two, rather than a calorie laden combo. You don't need the typically cold fries and you sure don't need the expensive terrible for you drink.

Works for me. I lost a lot of weight and kept it off by being conscious of quantity. I even keep a jar of peanut butter around for a quick boost if needed.

It's not easy at first because your brain is wired to ask for a certain amount of calories to maintain that girlish figure you've put so much effort into. But after a week or so of reduced intake you'll adjust, and even start losing weight.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014

Haven't seen it mentioned yet, but I'm a big fan of Popeye's 2 piece spicy chicken combo with mashed potatoes. Chicken is lean, so there's that, the mashed potatoes are a small serving, but they give you carbs for energy for the rest of the day, and the biscuit is there to help absorb the spices from the chicken and potatoes. Wash it down with a nice sweet tea (which has anti oxidants from what I hear) and you have yourself a nice (healthy) meal.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Lots of places have "healthier" options that aren't really healthy if you are paying attention. McDonald's used to have horrendous salads that people would eat not realizing they would have been better off just eating a hamburger. Or they will serve a side of fruit instead of fries but the fruit is marinating in syrup.
Absolutely. Eating a salad covered in cheese and 2 packs of ranch dressing, you might as well get the burger.

healthy and fast food don't mix.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I like panda ok but being diabetic there is very little I can eat there or any other restaurant. All chain restaurants have their nutrition info on their websites. There was a sandwich at sweet peppers I liked until I saw it had over 10,000mg of sodium. No, that's not a typo.
Yeah. Keeping sodium under 2300mg a day dining out is a challenge. Sandwich meats are the worst. I'm actually taking HCTZ daily now to keep my blood pressure from spiking when I eat at restaurants.

For you pancreaticly challenged I can only imagine how hard it can be.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I think some have mentioned it, but Taco Bell does bowls that are pretty good. Chicken, black bean, rice if you want it. I think I even got guacamole on my last one. Good protein and fairly low carbs (we are talking fast food here)

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Vitamin G? Low sodium? Salads and Sushi? This board has gone soft*

Anyway, I hear there's a guy that sells some coffee that'll move things through you and give you a cleanse. He had 34 varieties, I believe.

• Haha
Reactions: 1reddog

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
If you go the grilled chicken sandwich route, make sure to tell them to hold the mayo. A lot of these places will bathe their grilled chicken in it and it negates any healthy effect the grilled chicken will have. Also, go for a fruit cup or some other non-chip or non-fry side. McAlister's has a tomato and cucumber side that's pretty good and is only 70 calories.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
I do have a panda close by. I'll give that a shot. Passing up the fried rice will be a test.

I'll never give up carbs. I'm eyetalian and 99% of my family is NOT obese and they eat pasta every day.
Get the bowl with super greens and teriyaki chicken. It's tasty and less than 400 calories.

The greens are a mix of broccoli, cabbage, and kale in a little garlic sauce.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Sometimes it not about what you eat but how much you eat. If you want a Big Mac, get a Big Mac. Just don’t eat the last two to three bites. Leave some fries in the bag.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
17 eating healthier- I am going to be the first person to finally out-exercise their crap diet. Mark it down.

...all seriousness, my only actual comment on here is if you get salads, go easy on the dressing and choose a dressing that isnt unhealthy to begin with. Getting a salad with fried chicken bits, bacon, cheddar cheese, tortilla strips, and pepperoni...and then drowning it in buttermilk ranch kinda defeats the purpose of healthy selections.

bomanishus

Mar 17, 2009
Two suggestions:

Taco Bell (which was mentiond above) has a vegetarian menu that is really good-tasting and seemed very healthy.

Kroger (some, probably not all) have an outsanding salad bar that you can fix yourself. Chosing the right things, vegetables mainly, and getting a low calorie salad dressing will do you right.

When I was working, it was always one or the other unless I had a business lunch. Both are quick and good-tasting.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
The greens are a mix of broccoli, cabbage, and kale in a little garlic sauce.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

My opinion - you really should pack a lunch.

Anything you get 'out and about' that is healthy, will cost you more. Salads are notoriously overpriced. And if you get something cheap, you won't get enough to fill you up, and you know what that means - you're probably stopping again for a candy bar or whatever.

There aren't really many good options out there. If I'm busy, I'd like to stick with a drive-thru. Having to get out and go inside a Kroger is out, in my mind. So I generally go with 2-3 regular tacos at Taco Bell, that's fairly cheap and not too terrible. A grilled chicken sandwich is generally good, but if you add fries and a drink you've screwed up.

That's about it. Drink water. It ain't easy to pull off what you're trying to pull off, without prepping meals at home.

Reactions: ckDOG

STATEBALLIN

Aug 23, 2012

Good for you for atleast starting to focus on better eating. Honestly the best thing to do is make small changes over time. All diets work, as they all put you in some form of a calorie deficit. The key is to find the one you can sustain. Depending on how much you eat, simply cutting your portions back at first will be a great first step. Ie instead of eating a large pizza and having ice cream after, eat 1/2 a large and cut out the ice cream. Then keep dwindling that down. Just slowly try to eliminate the process sugars and carbs from your diet. You can do it!

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

I do the Kroger Sushi on occassion. Never had a problem with it. Nice and Fresh. Picking up a rotisserie chicken with some deli sides while there doesn't suck either. And my Kroger is basically on TCU's Campus. Talent Galore.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
I wouldn't screw with what you eat. In stressful, hurried situations you'll always go for what you crave.

Focus on HOW MUCH you eat of whatever you choose.

Pack a big thermos of ice water and order a single hamburger, or two, rather than a calorie laden combo. You don't need the typically cold fries and you sure don't need the expensive terrible for you drink.

Works for me. I lost a lot of weight and kept it off by being conscious of quantity. I even keep a jar of peanut butter around for a quick boost if needed.

It's not easy at first because your brain is wired to ask for a certain amount of calories to maintain that girlish figure you've put so much effort into. But after a week or so of reduced intake you'll adjust, and even start losing weight.
This is the way.

I don’t give them my money for drinks and fries. Eat whatever sandwich I want. Yeti cup with ice water is in my truck everywhere. Sit down restaurant is ice water with lemon. Add a Splenda. And it’s free. Mayo doesn’t have carbs or sugar…just saying. I don’t do deserts or sweets more than maybe once a week or two. If I want a snack late at night I drink a protein shake. It’s a sweet treat and if you get the powder you can add certain things and it’s freaking good. My go to…cup of fat free milk, scoop of chocolate protein powder, half a banana, tablespoon of peanut butter, 3 ice cubs.

I do lift weights 3 times a week. Other than that I do whatever the hell I want. I lost 30 pounds when I started living this way about 3 years ago and weight hasn’t moved since. I’m 45.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login