OT: Healthiest grab and go meal

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
To SPS members, I know health-conscious dining ranks right below drinking bud light, but I'm curious if you have tips for minimizing Vitamin G intake when you are on the run.

I eat A LOT of fast food because I'm constantly running around. Way too many egg rolls, pizza slices, and soft pretzels from Race Track. McDonalds, Krystals, Chicfila, etc.

The "healthiest" thing I have close by is Subway, random bbq joints, and sushi from Kroger (I'm a risk taker).

Do you have any "fast food" suggestions that are mildly healthier than the #7 combo? I want something I can grab and go. I'm not packing a lunch.
When you say healthy, what are you trying to limit? Calories, carbs, sodium, cholesterol, all of the above?

For example, my wife and I are polar opposites when it comes to this stuff. She can't look at a slice of bread without gaining a pound whereas I'm the one that will always have sodium/LDL issues no matter how little of either I eat. I just ask because if calories or carbs are your problem, you may be completely fine by staying away from bread and sugar whereas if blood pressure and/or cholesterol are the problem, you may have a really tough time finding anything in the fast food world that's gonna work. Even the "healthy" stuff is typically absolutely packed with salt and preservatives in order to maximize shelf life.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
When you say healthy, what are you trying to limit? Calories, carbs, sodium, cholesterol, all of the above?

For example, my wife and I are polar opposites when it comes to this stuff. She can't look at a slice of bread without gaining a pound whereas I'm the one that will always have sodium/LDL issues no matter how little of either I eat. I just ask because if calories or carbs are your problem, you may be completely fine by staying away from bread and sugar whereas if blood pressure and/or cholesterol are the problem, you may have a really tough time finding anything in the fast food world that's gonna work. Even the "healthy" stuff is typically absolutely packed with salt and preservatives in order to maximize shelf life.

I feel strongly that if you control your calorie intake and keep carb consumption reasonable, all the BS your docs tell you will matter less and less.

They have their place (think cancer treatment, etc.), but nutrition is not their wheelhouse.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Chick Fil A Cobb salad with grilled nuggets is really good. Just don’t get an unhealthy dressing to go with it.

Reactions: ckDOG

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009

I'm not trying to eliminate things, just trying to figure out something that is less bad.

I can handle carbs really well. I'm pretty sure all the salt, sugar, and fatty foods are adding up though.

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
From a calorie standpoint, a basic burger isn’t too bad if you leave off the mayo and cheese. And skip the fries and sugary drinks.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
To SPS members, I know health-conscious dining ranks right below drinking bud light, but I'm curious if you have tips for minimizing Vitamin G intake when you are on the run.

I eat A LOT of fast food because I'm constantly running around. Way too many egg rolls, pizza slices, and soft pretzels from Race Track. McDonalds, Krystals, Chicfila, etc.

The "healthiest" thing I have close by is Subway, random bbq joints, and sushi from Kroger (I'm a risk taker).

Do you have any "fast food" suggestions that are mildly healthier than the #7 combo? I want something I can grab and go. I'm not packing a lunch.
One of my favorite things is Wendy’s chili. It’s pretty good from a calorie standpoint. I like to get it with a baked potato. Sometimes I’ll be not as good and get chicken nuggets with it.
A couple people have mentioned Zaxby’s grilled salad, which is good- their light vinaigrette is unbeatable as far as low-calorie dressings go. (I wish Newk’s had something remotely comparable- their lowest calorie dressing is ranch at 250 calories per serving. That doesn’t even seem possible.)

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
skip lunch when you can, you don't need 3 squares a day unless you are a farmer working on your feet all day

sitting on your keister all day? all you need is the equivalent of one square meal all day and no snacks, mostly water is what causes your hunger. try to add greek yogurt to your day, and the idea that you need to eat meat 3 times a day is insane. try once a day and not so much red meat. remember that you are eating what your food eats and if you see what most chicken and cows eat... it is one of the reasons why we swell up so much.

"that fella aint ever skipped a meal in his life" is probably one of the most unhealthy statements that can be made about us

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I forgot about this one, but Sonic's corndogs aren't too bad, at least calorie wise. I think 1 is 250 cals or so. Slap some mustard on that bad boy and it's pretty tasty. Very driver-friendly too, a lot easier to eat than say a bowl at Taco Bell, Wendy's chili, or even a burger.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
skip lunch when you can, you don't need 3 squares a day unless you are a farmer working on your feet all day

sitting on your keister all day? all you need is the equivalent of one square meal all day and no snacks, mostly water is what causes your hunger. try to add greek yogurt to your day, and the idea that you need to eat meat 3 times a day is insane. try once a day and not so much red meat. remember that you are eating what your food eats and if you see what most chicken and cows eat... it is one of the reasons why we swell up so much.

"that fella aint ever skipped a meal in his life" is probably one of the most unhealthy statements that can be made about us
One thing is for sure - we can get by on MUCH less food than we eat. And also, fasting has a bunch of good health benefits.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Can I ask why you are opposed to packing lunch? So much easier to eat reasonably from home and you can eliminate the temptations. The temptation part is what gets me. You can eat fine as this thread shows, but if I roll up to a diner thinking I'll get some eggs or something decent and I'll end up wearing out some country fried steak with gravy instead.

I get it if you are living out of a hotel often during the week. I've lived that life and it's tough to eat decent.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I Dont Think So French GIF by Rosanna Pansino

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

I keep a random assortment of protein bars that are low sugar high protein and carry them with me when i travel.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
I try to watch my sodium intake and when you talk dining out the options are extremely limited. I found the best option for me when it comes to fast food is Panda Express. I can get a bowl of steamed rice and sweet and sour chicken chicken. The extra sauce from the S&S chicken gives the rice some good flavor too. I eat about half the rice and all of the chicken and if their nutritional information is to be believed that meal comes in under 500 calories and under 300mg of sodium.

And don't you low carb farts come in here whining about the rice. If you sit on your áss all day, low carb diets are fine. But if you move, work, or workout with any intensity carbs are necessary fuel.
Just don't eat at the Panda in Mobile near the airport it was bad. First time ever that we left our plates half eaten. Not recommended. Experienced this about 2 weeks ago.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I'd be interested in the brand name of these if you know it. Most of the ones I find are pretty high in sugar/carbs.
I eat the Pure Protein Bars in the salted caramel flavor from Amazon. About as cheap as they get. Taste good. I'm sure they aren't the healthiest tho.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I'd be interested in the brand name of these if you know it. Most of the ones I find are pretty high in sugar/carbs.
Pure Protein, Built Bars (REALLY chewy), Built Puff, Dark Chocolate & Sea Salt Nut Bars. I get all of this from Sams, so if you go there, you will see them. They aren't perfect, but they beat a value meal and are low glycemic index.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012

Ward's Big One w medium fry and root beer

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011

Do you have any "fast food" suggestions that are mildly healthier than the #7 combo? I want something I can grab and go. I'm not packing a
You getting fat?

dawgoneyall

Nov 11, 2007

Eat a couple of apples.
Not complicated

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login